San Pedro Parking Advise Needed

ssolomon56

My DH and I will be cruising with my married daughter and her DH on the Monarch of the Seas leaving San Pedro on 10/23 and returning 10/26. We're driving down from the SF Bay area the morning of our cruise and will be staying one night in the LA area when we return on 10/26.

Can anyone offer some advise about parking. I do know that there is parking at the port for $12 per night. But, I'm wondering if it might be better to go with a Park and Cruise style hotel that would allow us to park before our cruise. Another alternative would be a less expensive park and cruise lot. Any suggestions? :rolleyes:

the cruise lot at the terminal is the best way to go In my opinion , weve parked there a few times, and its easy and convienent..

you park get on , and when you get off theres your car...

you dont have to worry about getting a cab anywhere or anything like that ,, and its a secured lot..

have a great cruise..

melissa

The Doubletree in SP has a package that includes your parking while you're on the cruise and they will shuttle you to and from the terminal...we have used it when we are staying there the night before our cruise...I would imaginbe that you could do the same but stay after the cruise and leave your car there while you cruise...we got a room for 10/27 for $189 that includes breakfast, parking while we're on a 7 day cruise and shuttles to and from the terminal

the cruise lot at the terminal is the best way to go In my opinion , weve parked there a few times, and its easy and convienent..

you park get on , and when you get off theres your car...

you dont have to worry about getting a cab anywhere or anything like that ,, and its a secured lot..

have a great cruise..

melissa

A couple of questions:

1) how far is the parking lot from the cruise terminal?

2) how do you get from your car to the terminal and how do you handle your baggage? And how do you get back to your car after the cruise?

3) is the area lighted and is there security?

Thanks.

1) how far is the parking lot from the cruise terminal?

2) how do you get from your car to the terminal and how do you handle your baggage? And how do you get back to your car after the cruise?

-its extremly close...we parked only a couple rows in and a few spots away from the terminal entrance last time...we got there at about 12:30and there were 2 ships there that day

-either walk it to the terminal or if you have heavy, or a lot of bags you can always drive up, drop it iff and leave it with the rest of your party, park the car and walk back

-I dont know about this one...its always been light when we parked so I have never really looked for lights in the lot...good question

I just had to make the same decision myself. I was tempted to do the Park 'n Cruise package, but decided against it for a few reasons:

1) The parking at this port is the easiest I have ever seen! Not only is it easy to do a drop off without lugging on & off a shuttle, but when you get off the ship you are in your car & on your way before you would even find the shuttle back to the hotel.

2) We have parked there twice before & never had a problem. Nor have we ever heard of anyone having a problem.

3) San Pedro is not really a place you want to leave the hotel at night and walk around. Since we plan to arrive in the early afternoon on the day before the cruise we wanted to be able to feel safe going out and enjoying the first night of our vacation. Since CA has so much to offer within an hour of the port we opted to stay in Anaheim the night before & enjoy some of the attractions there the night before & driving to the port the next day.

I am sure that everyone has their favorite place to stay & parking solution. I'm sure someone will provide the perfect advice for your situation. Have a great cruise!:D

Parking at San Pedro is great. We live in SoCal and park there quite a lot. Drive up to the pier drop one person off with the luggage (make sure the checked luggage has the cruise tags on). The other person can go park the car and walk back to the terminal.

I thought parking had gone up from $12 per day - but since DH gets the car and pays the parking before he picks me up with the luggage I am not sure.

You will find it worthwhile to be able to get off the ship - get the luggage and get your car. No waiting for shuttles or taxis.

1) how far is the parking lot from the cruise terminal? .

1- its right there.

2- you can walk with your luggage or theres a shuttle that roams around the lot and will take you there for free.

3- yes 24 hour security and lighted ..

heres a pic of where we parked out and the distance to the ship

when you get off the ship we usually walk across the walkway to the lot and then have someone get the car.. its soooooooo easy trust me

<a href=2484113010085438855S500x500Q85.jpg' alt=

Thanks.

We've sailed out of San Pedro five times and four of those times, we've left the car in the parking lot right there at the port. The last time we used a car service as we had 15 days worth of luggage, which would never fit in our little trunk of our sedan.

It really is easy as the others have said. The driver drops off the passengers and the luggage at the curb. Then the driver drives down to the parking lot and either walks back or hops on the free shuttle. It is very close. The last time I was there was for a ship tour and I walked to the ship in just a few minutes from where I parked.

You'll be going there in the daytime and getting off the ship in the daytime. I would guess that there's a security truck patrolling the area...if they spot anyone just hanging around, they would be suspicious as nobody has a reason to be there after dark.

My DH and I will be sailing on the Monarch next July (4 night cruise that leaves on MON). We are flying in 6 days earlier and will rent a car and drive north - spend two nights in Santa Barbara. (any suggestions on reasonably priced hotels?)

We plan on driving south back to the LA area to spend 3 nights (FRI to MON morning) before getting on the ship. This is our first time to CA and plan on going to Disneyland 1 day, walk on the beach and see other LA sites.

I am considering 3 cities and am wondering if anyone can give some feedback on Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach or Redondo Beach.

I have read about parking a car at San Pedro. That might be one possibility as we will need to rent a car and may want to keep it as our flight does not fly back home on FRI night until 11:00 PM (therefore having a rental car would be a good way to use all of that time we have after getting off of the ship.)

We just got back from the Star today & we had left our truck inthe parking lot at the Crowne Plaza Hotel were we had stayed before the cruise. No problems at all. My husband walked to the hotel instead of waiting for the shuttle, then came & picked us up.

If you park in the lot at the san pedro port, its right there in front of the ship. Easy off & easy on.

We just got back from the Star today & we had left our truck inthe parking lot at the Crowne Plaza Hotel were we had stayed before the cruise. No problems at all. My husband walked to the hotel instead of waiting for the shuttle, then came & picked us up.

If you park in the lot at the san pedro port, its right there in front of the ship. Easy off & easy on.

Was there a fee or did you book a package at the Crowne Plaza that included the parking while on your cruise?

Was it a long walk to the hotel?

We were thinking about keeping our car rental while on cruise and then driving to Disneyland for the day and then to the airport (as our flight leaves at 11 PM).

I have also read about the Doubletree Hotel - so we have 2 choices in San Pedro prior to our 4-night cruise on the Monarch of the Seas.

Did you go to the Port o Cal Village? I was thinking that could be place for dinner as it sounds like there are restaurants etc.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Look at Enterprise for your car rental. They have an office on N. Harbor Boulevard, within easy walking distance of the pier (I think they also have a shuttle service). I think they charge a $25 drop fee, but it would still be less expensive than paying parking and the rental car charge for 4 nights. Your driver could drop off the others, then turn in the car & walk or take the shuttle back to the ship. Then when you arrive in port on Friday you could reverse the pattern.

Also, I'd do Disneyland before your cruise, even consider spending a night in Anaheim. If you do it after the cruise, you may find that you're pressed for time - it's a good 45 minutes to an hour to get to Anaheim, and if you are delayed getting off the ship (we have been), you won't be there until close to noon, after a (hopefully) fun and tiring cruise. True, you'd still have about 8 hours, but there are 2 Disney parks now, and wouldn't you want to try both of them? Just my 2 cents. Mind you, I could do Disneyland in about 4 hours because I'm not into crowds and would mach schnell through as fast as possible, but I also acknowledge that I'm not normal.:D

Look at Enterprise for your car rental. They have an office on N. Harbor Boulevard, within easy walking distance of the pier (I think they also have a shuttle service). I think they charge a $25 drop fee, but it would still be less expensive than paying parking and the rental car charge for 4 nights. Your driver could drop off the others, then turn in the car & walk or take the shuttle back to the ship. Then when you arrive in port on Friday you could reverse the pattern.

Also, I'd do Disneyland before your cruise, even consider spending a night in Anaheim. If you do it after the cruise, you may find that you're pressed for time - it's a good 45 minutes to an hour to get to Anaheim, and if you are delayed getting off the ship (we have been), you won't be there until close to noon, after a (hopefully) fun and tiring cruise. True, you'd still have about 8 hours, but there are 2 Disney parks now, and wouldn't you want to try both of them? Just my 2 cents. Mind you, I could do Disneyland in about 4 hours because I'm not into crowds and would mach schnell through as fast as possible, but I also acknowledge that I'm not normal.:D

Thanks for the information about car rental location etc.

I understand what you are saying about Disney that day, but since we are staying in Santa Monica prior to the cruise we are going to see some LA sights up that way.

I hear you can walk off the ship with your luggage, which is what we may do.

Has anyone every done Disneyland after getting off the ship, prior to flying home?

It will only be my DH and I and we are not into BIG rides. We mainly want to see the parks, walk around etc. We love Disney World and Epcot, which I know Disneyland does not have, but want to see how it compares.

The walk from the port to the hotel wouldn't be bad, but you have to walk around the side of the port to get out to the street. So you do not want any luggage if you do that route. Husband went a little early & by the time we got our luggage he was right out front to pick us up.

If you don't want to walk back to the hotel there is a free shuttle from the crowne plaza every 15 mins-you just wait at the curb & they will take you back over to the crowne.

As far a dinner there is the Green Onion Mexican place right across the street. Really good food & even better prices. There is the Acapulco Mexican place at Port o Call 2 street down-great view in the port but more expensive. There is also a italian restuarant & a bunch of little seafood places at the port o call too. All good. Have fun

Stayed at doubletree too-really nice place nicer than crowne plaza but +$$ than crowne plaza

The walk from the port to the hotel wouldn't be bad, but you have to walk around the side of the port to get out to the street. So you do not want any luggage if you do that route. Husband went a little early & by the time we got our luggage he was right out front to pick us up.

If you don't want to walk back to the hotel there is a free shuttle from the crowne plaza every 15 mins-you just wait at the curb & they will take you back over to the crowne.

As far a dinner there is the Green Onion Mexican place right across the street. Really good food & even better prices. There is the Acapulco Mexican place at Port o Call 2 street down-great view in the port but more expensive. There is also a italian restuarant & a bunch of little seafood places at the port o call too. All good. Have fun

Stayed at doubletree too-really nice place nicer than crowne plaza but +$$ than crowne plaza

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions.

Ok, a few more questions if that is OK.

1) Which hotel, the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza is closer to Port o Call?

2) Which of the 2 hotels is closer to the pier?

3) Which is in a better area - for leaving my car (which will be a rental)?

- Let's say is money were no option, which hotel would you stay at again (pre-cruise)?

Thanks for your input.

The Crowne Plaza is closer to both Ports O' Call and the pier, but only by a couple of minutes in either case.

I'm not positive, but I think you can park your car inside at the CP, while the Doubletree only has uncovered parking. As far as neighborhoods go, either would be fine for park & sail purposes.

Tough call as to which hotel to stay in - they're both fine properties, so I'd probably go for the less expensive one. The Doubletree is in a really nice setting (a marina), the food is good and the rooms are nice. The CP is within walking distance of more places, but if you have a car, the distance is really inconsequential IMHO.

gesh..bumping an old thread :o

Glad you bumped - it brings a question to mind.:) I have been told that the Golden Princess docks at the same pier as the Monarch. When I have cruised on the Monarch it seems as if the parking is directly at the ship - very convenient. However, it seems that we are the only ones in the parking lot! Do the Golden Cruisers park further away, or do that fewer people drive for the 7 night cruises? Since I am driving (and parking) without my DH this time I am trying to get all this pictured before I leave. Thanks!:cool:

the monarch sail s on friday s and monday s..just happen s that many occasion s they re the only ship in port..if so..if u get there after 10:00

you can pretty much have the lot to yourself..

we we re able to get into the a parking space right in front of the monarch and a porter came running up to us befor we even got to the

drop off point s..

next time however, we ll be on the star..and on that same day both

the monarch and star will be in port so i would expect parking to be a little tighter..most of the car s will be for the monarch..alot of local s sail

out on their 3 day, weekend ensenada cruise s..

Glad you bumped - it brings a question to mind.:) I have been told that the Golden Princess docks at the same pier as the Monarch. When I have cruised on the Monarch it seems as if the parking is directly at the ship - very convenient. However, it seems that we are the only ones in the parking lot! Do the Golden Cruisers park further away, or do that fewer people drive for the 7 night cruises? Since I am driving (and parking) without my DH this time I am trying to get all this pictured before I leave. Thanks!:cool:

We have gone on six cruises out of San Pedro, and only the last one did we not drive ourselves there (hired a car service as we had 15 days worth of stuff, which doesn't fit either of our Saturn's trunks). Usually the 3 and 4 day cruises have a high percentage of passengers who are from the area...and so a higher percentage of those using the parking lot. But even for the longer cruises, there are plenty who still drive in. There's no special area to park within the lot, no matter which cruise you are on. It is a big lot so it may seem less crowded when you have arrived. Usually more cruises are scheduled from there between late September and early May, so maybe the rest of the time the parking seems a lot lighter.

Archived