Warm Beer (pint of Bitter)

Winkles

Whelks

Pie, Mash & Liquer

Cucumber Sandwich (no crust's) & glass of Pimms

Chedder Cheese

Daddies Sauce

Eccles Cake

Not forgetting a full english breakfast (pancakes for breakfast :eek: )

Marc

Mrs Makem, you left out our Stottie cake from Greggs.

oh no how could i have done that....broth and stottie cake,ahhhh

Had Canadian visitors the other day and we just had to buy some stottie cakes from Greggs in Durham after a visit to the Cathedral and came home to make sarnies..lovely.

My husband gets fish and chips every time he's in England, around six times a year. I'm convinced that's the only thing they serve over there.

Yes that is all we ever eat.... and only in newspaper with warm beer. It quite surprising that we Brits did not come out as the fattest nation in the world with all that batter and chip fat.

and the indian meals in britain taste so much nicer than

in America,i got a takeaway in florida and it tasted like a

ready meal you put in a microwave:(

the best chefs are british wheather british cooking or

indian cooking

Yes that is all we ever eat.... and only in newspaper with warm beer. It quite surprising that we Brits did not come out as the fattest nation in the world with all that batter and chip fat.

Oh, now, I know you can't have warm beer. Hubby doesn't drink warm beer and his bar tab indicates numerous quantities of non-warm beers. ;)

Seriously, though, either that one place has really good fish and chips or he's afraid of your other food. :D

You just got in before me. I was reading through the whole thread first and I am always fascinated to read that "British food is always associated with English dishes. What about a good plate of Mince and tatties, made from Aberdeen beef, or Haggis neeps and tatties. Nothing bland about these, also our trifle is made with sponge soaked in plenty whisky or brandy. Just having a laugh BTW

Well, I figure you must be from the Broch with a logon like yours.;) I know a few from the Broch - they work at St Fergus. Whereabouts are you from? BTW - don't even mention the finest fish in the world - and we export it all to France!

Scones. (rhymes with "don" not "cone")

You have opened up a heated debate there - all of England is divided by how they say this word - it's more divisive than religion or politics.

For me it IS scone to rhyme with cone.

Go to Portofinos the night that Pork Chop is the signature dish. My parents generation would eat copious amounts of pork chops for their dinner, now i heave each time i see one and it is not a poplular dish now with my generation. I am a child of the early 60s from England.

I have to say you are correct, I am English not British. Many English people get very upset at being called British. Long story, very political and to heavy a subject to debate on a cruising board. This board is for enjoyment and dreaming of our next cruise, not politics. HOpe you all agree

You have opened up a heated debate there - all of England is divided by how they say this word - it's more divisive than religion or politics.

I have to say you are correct, I am English not British. Many English people get very upset at being called British. Long story, very political and to heavy a subject to debate on a cruising board. This board is for enjoyment and dreaming of our next cruise, not politics. HOpe you all agree

Driving home tonight I saw a Mexican food place, a Chinese restaurant, an Italian place, and a diner. Funny, I never see any British food restaurants.

Maybe that's because Americans don't want to eat spotted dick and bland, boiled meats.Quote.

As a Brit I am puzzled by the boiled meats ref.

Apart from maybe boiled ham I have never eaten boiled meat in my life.

But then we dont have broiled meat either

Well, I figure you must be from the Broch with a logon like yours.;) I know a few from the Broch - they work at St Fergus. Whereabouts are you from? BTW - don't even mention the finest fish in the world - and we export it all to France!

I did not think it would take you long to figure out where I am from. I actually belong to Ellon but have lived here in the Broch for over 30 years. A lot of Brochers have worked at St Fergus over the years. And yes I love my fish and chips, first meal after being away. The cruise we were on this year, we met a couple from Turriff and one from Peterhead. I introduced them to Cruise Critic as they had never heard of it. It does not seem all that popular up here. Where are you from?

Just to confuse you (and divide if you wish:p ) even more, the town of Scone in Perthshire, Scotland (where scones originate from), is pronounced Skoon (phonetic). :D

I did not think it would take you long to figure out where I am from. I actually belong to Ellon but have lived here in the Broch for over 30 years. A lot of Brochers have worked at St Fergus over the years. And yes I love my fish and chips, first meal after being away. The cruise we were on this year, we met a couple from Turriff and one from Peterhead. I introduced them to Cruise Critic as they had never heard of it. It does not seem all that popular up here. Where are you from?

We live in Newtonhill (not as obvious as your logon eh?) This year we took our 1st cruise after being talked into it by my friend who's done 5. We sailed on Explorer around the Eastern Caribbean and LOVED it. We've now booked our next on Liberty, July 2008- Western Caribbean - and friends of ours from Aberdeen have booked too. You're right, there doesn't seem to be many CC's in our area - I was introduced to it by the couple we met on EOS - a couple from London.

Here in SW Florida one of my favorites it The British Open Pub owned by a British couple. On the menu the have Cottage Pie and Corned Beef Pastie. Excellent dishes.

I don't know much about British food except for what I have had at this pub. I would be willing to try most dishes. Sometimes though it is hard to get past the name. Some of them sound rather strange to our American ears.

I am sure some of our dishes sound strange to folks from outside of the US. One of my favorites is Philadelphia Scrapple. If I tell anyone what it is made of, they run the other way!! Sort of how I react at the thought of Haggis!!

Too bad we don't get authentic British or Italian or any other nationality outside of those countries.

This has been a fun thread to read. Who said we speak the same language????:D :D :D

Driving home tonight I saw a Mexican food place, a Chinese restaurant, an Italian place, and a diner. Funny, I never see any British food restaurants.

Maybe it's because of the occupation over 230 years ago?;):D Us Americans can be pretty stubborn. Can't say that I've ever had British/English food before (although I have made shepherd's pie , I bet it was not authentic). However, my wife is part Irish an we do have corned beef and cabbage every St. Patty's day.

Maybe that's because Americans don't want to eat spotted dick and bland, boiled meats.Quote.

As a Brit I am puzzled by the boiled meats ref.

Apart from maybe boiled ham I have never eaten boiled meat in my life.

But then we dont have broiled meat either

I think the boiled meat thing must be a relic from the 1960's (probably WWII and hence the USA interest) - I remember my grandmother cooking for boiled meet for us. Done with the vegetables is was quite nice.

Archived