"British" Dinner Menu

Just eaten a luverly M&S Minspy:D :D (translation lovely mince pie from Marks & Spencer!!):D :D Yummy - although would have been better hot of course!!

And summer is nothing without Pimms - now what could be more British. They won't serve that on RCCL British Night - too expensive - but they may have it on board and sell it in the Bars. Whether they will serve it properly is another matter!!! Need a British barman for that!!

Pea and Ham Soup.

Oxtail Soup

Cheddar Cheese

Lancashire Cheese

Oyster

Lobsters, not the green spiny type they serve as life jackets on U S cruise ships, proper lobsters that turn red and have claws.

Fish pie

Smoked Haddock

WILD SCOTTISH SMOKED SALMON THE BEST IN THE WORLD.

Steak and Kidney pud

Kedgeree

Aberdeen Angus Steak and King Edward chips

Wiltshire Ham with cumberland sauce

Roast Pheasant, Grouse, and Pidgeon

Game Pie

Poached wild Scottish Salmon

Sticky Toffee Pud

Sussex Pond Pud

Rich Fruit Cake

Christmas Pud

My Mums Mince pies.

Bacon and Egg sarnie on toast with brown sauce and a mug of engine drivers tea

You could go on for Ever, and G B has some of the Best Chefs in the world

British Night on our recent Rhapsody OTS cruise they had Cock a Leekie Soup................with PRUNES? :eek:

We had a lot of fun pulling the leg of the Executive Chef on that one. :D

Why would you pull the executive chefs leg about this soup?

It is a traditional Scottish soup and to be authentic it MUST have prunes in it:rolleyes:

Driving home tonight I saw a Mexican food place, a Chinese restaurant, an Italian place, and a diner. Funny, I never see any British food restaurants.

Maybe that's because Americans don't want to eat spotted dick and bland, boiled meats.

Go to a specialty restaurant the British food night. Make reservations early. It will most likely be packed.

If they banned Microwaves in America Al Gore would not have to make films.

Super Size me please, oh no ive given it away, I said please, thank you, oh damm I cant give up the habbit

Why would you pull the executive chefs leg about this soup?

It is a traditional Scottish soup and to be authentic it MUST have prunes in it:rolleyes:

you are correct my Birthday is the 25th of Jan, we have it before the Haggis and Whisky, it moves me to tears, well alright it moves me, regards

British Night on our recent Rhapsody OTS cruise they had Cock a Leekie Soup................with PRUNES? :eek:

We had a lot of fun pulling the leg of the Executive Chef on that one. :D

Did you get a piece of string with it ( Scottish joke, hope you can work it out)

Pea and Ham Soup.

Oxtail Soup

Cheddar Cheese

Lancashire Cheese

Oyster

Lobsters, not the green spiny type they serve as life jackets on U S cruise ships, proper lobsters that turn red and have claws.

Fish pie

Smoked Haddock

WILD SCOTTISH SMOKED SALMON THE BEST IN THE WORLD.

Steak and Kidney pud

Kedgeree

Aberdeen Angus Steak and King Edward chips

Wiltshire Ham with cumberland sauce

Roast Pheasant, Grouse, and Pidgeon

Game Pie

Poached wild Scottish Salmon

Sticky Toffee Pud

Sussex Pond Pud

Rich Fruit Cake

Christmas Pud

My Mums Mince pies.

Bacon and Egg sarnie on toast with brown sauce and a mug of engine drivers tea

You could go on for Ever, and G B has some of the Best Chefs in the world

Wild Scottish smoked salmon......pure heaven

Just eaten a luverly M&S Minspy:D :D (translation lovely mince pie from Marks & Spencer!!):D :D Yummy - although would have been better hot of course!!

And summer is nothing without Pimms - now what could be more British. They won't serve that on RCCL British Night - too expensive - but they may have it on board and sell it in the Bars. Whether they will serve it properly is another matter!!! Need a British barman for that!!

We had Pimms when we were in London at Covent Gardens. It tasted quite good and I was surprised that it had cucumbers in it. I also love Steak and Ale pie, but sorry, I couldn't bring myself to eat steak and kidney pie.

One of our trips we stayed at Russell Square and went to a pub nearby. It had the best steak and ale pie. We also had on that trip some wonderful chicken pot pie. I think that was at a pub near Windsor Castle.

We had great times in England and as you can see we went to the "touristy" places.

I do have to say that we did some shopping at M&S and I was so impressed by the packaged haricot verts. All were the same size. In the US, the packaging is quite different and rarely would we see things packaged as nicely.

I also tried a pasta dish in Crawley that had aubergine in it. I loved it. I think I had it two nights, it was that good.

Oh, I so want to go back to England. Thanks for bringing back memories for me.

Im my honest opinion i wouldnt even try anything reputedly " English" on board a cruise ship, they have no idea how to replicate british cuisine which isnt ALL bad!

We had a so called Aunthentic british roast beef and yorkshire pudding on Century, well i never seen any yorkshire pudding like it. It was more like a muffin to be honest and tasted sweet... very very odd!

I will add though that the of food on the Century was wonderful it was just the yorkshire puds... Yuck!

As part of the same theme don't ever bother ordering "Maryland Style" crabcakes on a ship either!:(

Hiya Wato1963, I'm from Redcar too! Have you seen Atonement? The Redcar lads did us proud on our beach. The Regent looks smart after its new paint job, but I thought it looked good in its stage make up.

Towncar T, oh you mean Everton, I was confused by the "mighty" bit. Yes you won, but only because those makkems wiped half our team out the week before!

Back on subject:

Beans on toast (has to be Heinz)

Mint Sauce

Greggs iced split

School dinner chocolate pudding and pink custard

We've got 15 round our house for tea. Roast beef and roast gammon with tons of veggies. Just about to start first batch of Yorkshire puds. I will need to cook 6 dozen!! In keeping with good Yorkshire tradition we have our Yorkshires first with gravy and mint sauce for those who want it- everyone's favourite. If there are any left, the kids will have them for breakfast tomorrow. Tomorrow's tea will be a veg soup using the stock from the gammon. I always boil the gammon first with vegetables to get the stock, then put honey on it and roast. The kids have made chocolate buns for afters using a recipe from Nana's old Bero book.

I am loving this thread. I am of English descent, but my family came over here in the mid-1600's(not on the Mayflower, but soon after, I think!). A lot of the foods talked about here are still popular in my family like the roast pork and roast leg of lamb, mashed turnips,mince pie, ham and pea soup among others. Some of the foods are totally unfamiliar to me. I would love to know what the following are: gammon, kedgeree, bovril ,and cockaleekie soup. Thanks to all of you!

I would love to know what the following are: gammon, kedgeree, bovril ,and cockaleekie soup. Thanks to all of you!

gammon - a bacon joint that is roast, you also have gammon steaks that are served with pineapple.

kedgeree - a breakfast dish of rice of rice with smoked haddock and eggs mixed in (came from colonial India)

bovril - like Marmite or Vegemite, a yeast extract which is a byproduct of beer brewing - lovely thinly spread on buttery toast

cock-a-leekie soup - a scottish soup of chicken and leeks and various other bits and pieces depending on the recipe.

Bovril can also be served as a drink. A heaped teaspoon of Bovril in a cup of boling water makes a great warming drink. It is sold at every football ground in the UK along with meat pies.

And both will generally give you third degree burns!!!:eek:

I always boil the gammon first with vegetables to get the stock, then put honey on it and roast. The kids have made chocolate buns for afters using a recipe from Nana's old Bero book.

This sounds absolutely delish. I've tried to find a recipe for a good sauce to accompany roast gammon - any ideas?:p

This sounds absolutely delish. I've tried to find a recipe for a good sauce to accompany roast gammon - any ideas?:p

I tell you what I've done and it turned out lovely - mix the meat juices with a bit of ruby port and some redcurrent jelly - yum! I love all fruit with pork or gammon.

Thanks for all the definitions. I think the gammon must be similar to our ham or if it is not cured, then maybe what we called a pork shoulder or "fresh ham". Still not sure about the bovril since I don't know what Marmite or Vegemite is but when I get to the UK, I will definitely try it. I don't think we have anything like it here in the US, at least not in New England.

The kedgeree and cockaleekie sound delicious!

Archived