"British" Dinner Menu

I am not British or English, I am a scouser, Spotted Dick! luxury! we were so poor, me mam could not afford the raisins, so we had Seamans Mission or Cured Dick, and Blind Scouse ie Scouse without meat.

Christmas was hard for me Mam, we could not afford to decorate the tree.

My Dad would place us the week before next to any one with flu and a runny nose so we could catch it, then on Christmas Eve he would place us next to the tree throw pepper on us, bingo a decorated tree.

My Dad was the best carver on Mersyside he could have given Christian Barnard lesson, I have never seen to this day Oxo cube go farther.

My Uncle Jimmy worked for Cunnard so he was away for long spells, he worried that his Mam would get lonely so he payed £600 for a talking Parrot for her.

When he returned home after six months, the parrot was gone, so he asked his Mam about it, She said " We had it for Chrimbo, the meat was so tender it fell off the bone"

The difference between British and American food is you have to chew one. regards

I am not British or English, I am a scouser, Spotted Dick! luxury! we were so poor, me mam could not afford the raisins, so we had Seamans Mission or Cured Dick, and Blind Scouse ie Scouse without meat.

My Dad would place us the week before next to any one with flu and a runny nose so we could catch it, then on Christmas Eve he would place us next to the tree throw pepper on us, bingo a decorated tree.

My Dad was the best carver on Mersyside he could have given Christian Barnard lesson, I have never seen to this day Oxo cube go farther.

My Uncle Jimmy worked for Cunnard so he was away for long spells, he worried that his Mam would get lonely so he payed £600 for a talking Parrot for her.

When he returned home after six months, the parrot was gone, so he asked his Mam about it, She said " We had it for Chrimbo, the meat was so tender it fell off the bone"

The difference between British and American food is you have to chew one. regards

From one Scouser (with a capital S) to another. I AM English. 100% from top to toe. I love being English and wouldn't want to be anything else. My personal anthem is 'Jerusalem,' but 'God Save The Queen' is OK too. I still want to know why they got rid of that little chippy from the Pier Head. When I worked in town, I used to love going down and sitting on the Pier Head with a meat and potato pie and chips, listening to the seagulls screech as they followed the ferry across to Birkenhead. Nowadays, there's only an overpriced cafe, the monotonous drone of Gerry and the Pacemakers and the ferry takes an hour to do a round trip that costs five and a half quid!

A Scouser - Hide The Hub Cap's! :D

No mention of bread pullit or is that just a Kentish dish

Marc

Some more I've thought of.

Lancashire Hot Pot

Beef stew and dumplings.

Welsh Rarebit.

Oh and the full English breakfast (as mentioned previously) consists of Bacon, sausage (maybe Lincolnshire), egg, tomatoes, beans, mushrooms, fried bread and of course black pudding (a bit more cholesterol than pancakes and maple syrup!).

Bread and butter pudding.

Eves pudding.

Melton Mowbray Pork Pie.

Long Clawson Stilton cheese.

Red Leicester Cheese.

I'm off now to get packed. Going to Wales tomorrow so probably will have some Welsh lamb and Welsh rarebit while there.

This has been a brilliant fun thread. Makes a change from some. See you all when I get back.:cool:

I wonder if they finish with Stilton and Port when serving the British menu.

I only hope the bottle doesn't start with the person on my left and I am sat at a large table!

I doubt it, the Americans do not seem to understand cheese, so a mature piece of Stilton would be a waste, you can introduce a forfit if the bottle stops, that usually gets it moving round our table. regards

Some more I've thought of.

Lancashire Hot Pot

Beef stew and dumplings.

Welsh Rarebit.

Oh and the full English breakfast (as mentioned previously) consists of Bacon, sausage (maybe Lincolnshire), egg, tomatoes, beans, mushrooms, fried bread and of course black pudding (a bit more cholesterol than pancakes and maple syrup!).

Bread and butter pudding.

Eves pudding.

Melton Mowbray Pork Pie.

Long Clawson Stilton cheese.

Red Leicester Cheese.

I'm off now to get packed. Going to Wales tomorrow so probably will have some Welsh lamb and Welsh rarebit while there.

This has been a brilliant fun thread. Makes a change from some. See you all when I get back.:cool:

Christmas breakfast, Melton Mowbray Pork Pie, Colston Basset Stilton, and a glass or two of Port.Then back to bed to get my present!

We visit Wales each weekend to see my Mum, the Lamb is the best, also the Welsh black Beef is fantastic, feed on grass, aged well it has flavour,

Im going im hungry, regards

From one Scouser (with a capital S) to another. I AM English. 100% from top to toe. I love being English and wouldn't want to be anything else. My personal anthem is 'Jerusalem,' but 'God Save The Queen' is OK too. I still want to know why they got rid of that little chippy from the Pier Head. When I worked in town, I used to love going down and sitting on the Pier Head with a meat and potato pie and chips, listening to the seagulls screech as they followed the ferry across to Birkenhead. Nowadays, there's only an overpriced cafe, the monotonous drone of Gerry and the Pacemakers and the ferry takes an hour to do a round trip that costs five and a half quid!
Jerusalem is good, but "God save the Queen" by the Sex Pistol is my personal anthem I even have it as my ringtone.

The meat and potato pie must be a Sayers, along with every scousers brekky a Sayers Pasty and a shot of Yates Aussie white if you were lucky.

What happened to the chippy, I think you should ask Stan Boardman.

Regards its been a lorra lorra fun

Jerusalem is good, but "God save the Queen" by the Sex Pistol is my personal anthem I even have it as my ringtone.

The meat and potato pie must be a Sayers, along with every scousers brekky a Sayers Pasty and a shot of Yates Aussie white if you were lucky.

What happened to the chippy, I think you should ask Stan Boardman.

Regards its been a lorra lorra fun

Refreshing to see that it takes all kinds to make a world. I think we have very different ideas of what Liverpool is all about, my friend. All the best!:) T

Refreshing to see that it takes all kinds to make a world. I think we have very different ideas of what Liverpool is all about, my friend. All the best!:) T
Thats Liverpool a melting pot, all sorts of of people, races and religions, cultures, and tastes, trying to get on, it seems to work for the most part after all we are the next European City of Culture. Regards

I think the boiled meat thing must be a relic from the 1960's (probably WWII and hence the USA interest) - I remember my grandmother cooking for boiled meet for us. Done with the vegetables is was quite nice.

well as a makkem you know where I come from but this weekend is Houghton Feast with roast ox sandwiches and toffee apples but alas no shuggie boats.

From one English person to another, how can i get the George Cross that you have posted, i would love to post it next to my name. Proud to be English

Not too sure about the Englishness of your screen name:rolleyes: , but nevertheless. Right click on the image and click on 'save picture as.' Then save it to your PC. You can then set it as your avatar, or paste it into your signature.:) T

I have to tell a story that might bore some of you, but I am sorry if it does. I have a niece and family that live in England. My first trip to England was for the christening of her first daughter. At that time, they lived in Crawley.

We went into London for a bit of shopping and she took us to a great take away for fish n chips. My sister, who daughter had the baby, does not eat any kind of fish. She had gotten chicken and I had haddock. We totally enjoyed our lunch.

Fast forward a few months. I took my son and daughter in law to England. I wanted to get the haddock again. We stayed in Mayfair. We walked forever, and never found a pub that had Haddock. I had aching feet, was tired and said I don't give a d---. The next pub we come to, I will eat whatever the fish is. It turned out to be cod. Geez, it tasted like haddock to me. So, moral of the story, whenever I go to England, i will eat cod.

I would NEVER eat haggis. I love shepherd's pie and when we went to Ireland, we ate that often. I never tried Indian food except in England. It was wonderful.

My niece gave me a cookbook by Delia Smith. There are some fine recipes in there. I also love Nigella Lawson. So, anyway, each country has good as well as food that isn't so great. I love traveling and if I win the lottery, I guess I will get to do a lot more.

Thanks for listening to my "speech".

PS My niece now lives in Swindon, so we got to go to the Cotswold's and other interesting places from there.

I have to tell a story that might bore some of you, but I am sorry if it does. I have a niece and family that live in England. My first trip to England was for the christening of her first daughter. At that time, they lived in Crawley.

We went into London for a bit of shopping and she took us to a great take away for fish n chips. My sister, who daughter had the baby, does not eat any kind of fish. She had gotten chicken and I had haddock. We totally enjoyed our lunch.

Fast forward a few months. I took my son and daughter in law to England. I wanted to get the haddock again. We stayed in Mayfair. We walked forever, and never found a pub that had Haddock. I had aching feet, was tired and said I don't give a d---. The next pub we come to, I will eat whatever the fish is. It turned out to be cod. Geez, it tasted like haddock to me. So, moral of the story, whenever I go to England, i will eat cod.

I would NEVER eat haggis. I love shepherd's pie and when we went to Ireland, we ate that often. I never tried Indian food except in England. It was wonderful.

My niece gave me a cookbook by Delia Smith. There are some fine recipes in there. I also love Nigella Lawson. So, anyway, each country has good as well as food that isn't so great. I love traveling and if I win the lottery, I guess I will get to do a lot more.

Thanks for listening to my "speech".

PS My niece now lives in Swindon, so we got to go to the Cotswold's and other interesting places from there.

Katie. I look forwad to more of your stories on the Mariner. See you in 9 days! T

Does the kids' menu on British Night have a Greggs sausage roll and a bottle of cold tea?

How about a Parmo, or a Greggs cheese pasty? Regional delicacies from the Boro!

Greggs would be a brill alternative to Johnny Rockets!

My sister in law and her collegues who worked for many years in a well known clothing shop called children given a Greggs treat to keep them quiet whilst Mum shopped...Pasty kids.

Serendipity. I was browsing a cookbook in a record store yesterday and it had this recipe. Never heard of it before and then I get hit twice with it in 12 hours.

Need to dig up some recipes and add them to my archive.

It is so easy to make Delia Smith has the recipie at http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/eton-mess,1395,RC.html

Enjoy

Archived