"British" Dinner Menu

We've got 15 round our house for tea. Roast beef and roast gammon with tons of veggies. Just about to start first batch of Yorkshire puds. I will need to cook 6 dozen!! In keeping with good Yorkshire tradition we have our Yorkshires first with gravy and mint sauce for those who want it- everyone's favourite. If there are any left, the kids will have them for breakfast tomorrow. Tomorrow's tea will be a veg soup using the stock from the gammon. I always boil the gammon first with vegetables to get the stock, then put honey on it and roast. The kids have made chocolate buns for afters using a recipe from Nana's old Bero book.

I want to come live with you.:)

I am so so sorry to have confused you with my on screen name. The irony is that the name of our beloved family pet a Goldren Retriever was Bonnie, when she died i adopted her name for all my on screen names. 'Lass' as you know insinuates a young girl, my personal motto is 'growing old is inevitable, growing up is not'. I am from the South of England !!!!!

Simon...Thanks for the website. Very interesting and I found a place in New Jersey that has Marmite. I may just have to call them and get some. I am intrigued by the "love it or hate it" idea!!! Thanks again.

Laura

Simon...Thanks for the website. Very interesting and I found a place in New Jersey that has Marmite. I may just have to call them and get some. I am intrigued by the "love it or hate it" idea!!! Thanks again.

Laura

If you decide to put that stuff on warm toast, in the house, make sure all the windows are open.:)

My husband has to take the toaster out on the deck and spread the Marmite on it out there and eat it.

Oh how I miss crackling. Maybe it is good that they cut off a lot of the fat off the pork here in the US but there is nothing like a good piece of crackling. Great thread. Been over here 27 years but still miss food the most. Things have got better in recent years now that we can get many more 'British' foods such as English butter making toast SO much tastier. It is all what you are use to. Good and bad everywhere I think.

Im my honest opinion i wouldnt even try anything reputedly " English" on board a cruise ship, they have no idea how to replicate british cuisine which isnt ALL bad!

We had a so called Aunthentic british roast beef and yorkshire pudding on Century, well i never seen any yorkshire pudding like it. It was more like a muffin to be honest and tasted sweet... very very odd!

I will add though that the of food on the Century was wonderful it was just the yorkshire puds... Yuck!

Ahhh, British roast beef. The recipe is quite simple. Cook the beef until its well-done, than cook it a few more hours until its really well-done, than give it another hour for good luck! Only teasing! Or am I? As to Yorkshire pudding, I love the stuff but have never anything that approched the real thing on any cruise (and we have been on more than 50).

Hank

Ahhh, British roast beef. The recipe is quite simple. Cook the beef until its well-done, than cook it a few more hours until its really well-done, than give it another hour for good luck! Only teasing! Or am I? As to Yorkshire pudding, I love the stuff but have never anything that approched the real thing on any cruise (and we have been on more than 50).

Hank

Ahhh, American roast beef. The recipe is quite simple.

Mince the beef & add herbs / spices, mix well & shape,

Place into a frying pan or under a grill for a few minutes both sides,

Once cooked place on top of a halved bun placing the other half on top (this will be the half wiht the seeds on),

Best served with fine cut potato's

Pass to the person in the car, collect payment & say

"Have A Nice Day"

Marc from UK :D

(Only jesting we have a recipe for Southern Fried Chicken the same)

My husband has to take the toaster out on the deck and spread the Marmite on it out there and eat it.

Maybe that's where he's going wrong. It tastes so much better if you put the Marmite on the toast, rather than on the toaster!:D

(Yes, I knew what you meant, but I just couldn't help myself!)

Lisa

As they say in the ads , "You either love it or hate it!"

You can put me firmly in the "hate it" camp.

Best British dinner? Roast beef, roast potatoes, yorkshire puds, veg and gravy.:) Not forgetting Rhubarb crumble with custard for dessert. YUMMY

Had a piece of corner gammon at the weekend so with the lovely stock am in the process of making Tomato soup....such a surplus of toms in the greenhouse, then might just make some pease pudding.

Love this talk of food on a cruise board.

I enjoy having the food made for me onboard and trying different things.

Fav. could be Eggs Benedict, always try them first day and if good will make it to the dining room most mornings.

Least fav the disgusting looking Meat loaf served in the Windjammer from time to time.

Not a lover of Cinnamon which is used a lot onbord ship.

Hank

WHAT!... Sacrilege!... LOL

No NO NO roast the beef rare or at most medium for the fusspots. Has to be a very good fore rib joint too , nothing else will suffice....

Served in my home with Potatoes roasted in goose fat, a little creamy mash for good measure, carrots, swede and spring greens with leeks, lovely crispy yorkshire puddings and a little good hot English mustard and horseradish on the side , ....... Oh and lashings of hot gravy.... sheer bliss

Sorry if this is OT but...my husbands cholesterol count was through the roof when we married...he was born in the UK but then also lived 25 years in OZ.

I would have to fight him not to eat roasted chicken skin...and caught him trying to fry a piece of bread in bacon fat.:eek: He too misses "cracklin"..bacon sarnies...pasties...but his MD told him he would be digging an early grave if he didn't lay off all of the fat he was used to eating.

Question...do MDs in the UK watch things like cholesterol in patients? The diet you are describing is exactly what my husbands American MD tells him to stay away from!!

When we travel to the UK I feel like all I do is watch what he is trying to eat.:(

Sorry if this is OT but...my husbands cholesterol count was through the roof when we married...he was born in the UK but then also lived 25 years in OZ.

I would have to fight him not to eat roasted chicken skin...and caught him trying to fry a piece of bread in bacon fat.:eek: He too misses "cracklin"..bacon sarnies...pasties...but his MD told him he would be digging an early grave if he didn't lay off all of the fat he was used to eating.

Question...do MDs in the UK watch things like cholesterol in patients? The diet you are describing is exactly what my husbands American MD tells him to stay away from!!

When we travel to the UK I feel like all I do is watch what he is trying to eat.:(

Our GP s certainly take a very keen interest in cholesterol levels and most surgeries do more or less routine testing over a certain age or with at risk patients.

The things described on this posting are to my mind our fantasies for use of a better word and we certainly do not eat them everyday of the week.

We now have a rather sedintary life style and do not do the physical work as in the old days which allowed us to eat more or less what we liked but neither did we have the junk food available today.

Oh for some hot toast with pork dripping!:rolleyes:

Hi Backincakes...

Yes of course the docs here watch patients colestorol etc very closely, its all about personal choices, its a complete myth that most british food is high fat/high colesterol, i honesty i cant remember the last time i fried anything at all and the same can be said for most of the people close to me. LOL i think maybe your hubby is just being a bad boy!

I think people can eat badly whatever culture they are from, it all comes down to choices at the end of the day. Most everyone i know concentrates on fresh fruit and veggies and lean meat and fish with the occasional " naughty" treat thrown in.

Even a good old full english breakfast can be healthy ( ish) if you take the time to make it so grill dont fry , buy low fat alternatives , trim off fat etc.:)

Our GP s certainly take a very keen interest in cholesterol levels and most surgeries do more or less routine testing over a certain age or with at risk patients.

The things described on this posting are to my mind our fantasies for use of a better word and we certainly do not eat them everyday of the week.

We now have a rather sedintary life style and do not do the physical work as in the old days which allowed us to eat more or less what we liked but neither did we have the junk food available today.

Oh for some hot toast with pork dripping!:rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear that!! My DH acts like I am the food police(which I am) and when he goes to the UK I know he sneaks off with his friends to get steak and kidney pie.:rolleyes: His cholesterol level was horrible and he wasn't happy when I changed his diet. Thanks for the info. I can now tell him that he isn't the only Brit that is being deprived of hot toast with pork dripping.;)

Hi Backincakes...

Yes of course the docs here watch patients colestorol etc very closely, its all about personal choices, its a complete myth that most british food is high fat/high colesterol, i honesty i cant remember the last time i fried anything at all and the same can be said for most of the people close to me. LOL i think maybe your hubby is just being a bad boy!

I think people can eat badly whatever culture they are from, it all comes down to choices at the end of the day. Most everyone i know concentrates on fresh fruit and veggies and lean meat and fish with the occasional " naughty" treat thrown in.

Even a good old full english breakfast can be healthy ( ish) if you take the time to make it so grill dont fry , buy low fat alternatives , trim off fat etc.:)

He would love to be a bad boy...especially when we go to the UK.

When he talks about food he had as a boy the menu sounds exactly like everyone was describing on this thread. But you are right..I doubt anyone paid attention to what they were eating..they ate to be able to work hard. We Americans certainly have had our share of naughty foods and have eaten plenty of them as well. My mother was a Brit and she made her share of roasted beef and Yorkshire puds..

I made him a full English brekkie when we first got married..as a gift. After I got done I told him to enjoy it as he would never get another one out me.:)

Just returned from my Mums in Wales, she is 91yrs but as full of life as a sparrow, my Dad was 91 when he died, in Jan.

We spend each weekend with her,

Sunday lunch.

Starters, Diver caught scallops seared in a little butter and light oil,home made oat based brown rolls no butter to help with the chol.

Slow roast ( 6hrs) shoulder of Welsh Lamb, cooked on a trivit so you can remove the fat, and make a good roasting pan gravy, Par boiled Marris Piper pots then roasted in Goose fat to crisp heaven, garden greens provided by a very kind neighbour.

Summer Pud using frozen fruit from the same neighbour, nearly as good as fresh

It was a large shoulder so this morning before we left, I minced the leftover meat added the gravy, topped with fresh mash, Shep pie to die for.

Beef boullion served on cruise ships, was that not the same as bovril.

Lemon Meringue Pie, Filbert Tart,Custard Tart, Scotch Eggs Welsh cakes,Bakewell Tart, Manchester Tart, Barabrith, etc

Just returned from my Mums in Wales, she is 91yrs but as full of life as a sparrow, my Dad was 91 when he died, in Jan.

We spend each weekend with her,

Sunday lunch.

Starters, Diver caught scallops seared in a little butter and light oil,home made oat based brown rolls no butter to help with the chol.

Slow roast ( 6hrs) shoulder of Welsh Lamb, cooked on a trivit so you can remove the fat, and make a good roasting pan gravy, Par boiled Marris Piper pots then roasted in Goose fat to crisp heaven, garden greens provided by a very kind neighbour.

Summer Pud using frozen fruit from the same neighbour, nearly as good as fresh

It was a large shoulder so this morning before we left, I minced the leftover meat added the gravy, topped with fresh mash, Shep pie to die for.

Beef boullion served on cruise ships, was that not the same as bovril.

Lemon Meringue Pie, Filbert Tart,Custard Tart, Scotch Eggs Welsh cakes,Bakewell Tart, Manchester Tart, Barabrith, etc

OMG!!!! I read your post to the DH and he is now salivating.

Sounds like you have some pretty grand meals on the weekends.:)

OMG!!!! I read your post to the DH and he is now salivating.

Sounds like you have some pretty grand meals on the weekends.:)

Not really its called Sunday Lunch, it still is a Tradition, and is about getting your family around a table on Sunday to eat good food and talk about life.

When there is only three of us it is pretty simple, next Sunday when I have 12 to Sunday Lunch at my Mums it gets a bit more complex.

Starters Pan fried duck Liver on a Brioche crouton with a Madeira sauce.

Mains "Old" Pheasant braised in red wine with Garlic Mash and Savoy Cabbage.

Pud Pears poaced in sweet white wine, with Birds Custard.

Most are my Mums Favs and you have to look after your Mum.

We live to eat not eat to live, after all its the next best thing to sex

I have "HAD IT" with the darn food police. Hasn't anyone noticed that just about anything that tastes really good is no good! Meat without fat is like the ocean without water! There is still nothing like a great old fashioned potato chip (crisps for you Brits) properly fried in lard! As to ice cream, the higher the fat content the better the product. As to healthy American cooking, give me a 2 pound slab of rare Prime Rib, with the blood and fat just running off the plate! Yummy.

Hank

Not really its called Sunday Lunch, it still is a Tradition, and is about getting your family around a table on Sunday to eat good food and talk about life.

When there is only three of us it is pretty simple, next Sunday when I have 12 to Sunday Lunch at my Mums it gets a bit more complex.

Starters Pan fried duck Liver on a Brioche crouton with a Madeira sauce.

Mains "Old" Pheasant braised in red wine with Garlic Mash and Savoy Cabbage.

Pud Pears poaced in sweet white wine, with Birds Custard.

Most are my Mums Favs and you have to look after your Mum.

We live to eat not eat to live, after all its the next best thing to sex

I would love the duck liver dish....and the pears sound wonderful!!!

Can't be all bad if your Mum has lived to be over 90. She is doing something right!!;)

HlitnerI have "HAD IT" with the darn food police. Hasn't anyone noticed that just about anything that tastes really good is no good! Meat without fat is like the ocean without water! There is still nothing like a great old fashioned potato chip (crisps for you Brits) properly fried in lard! As to ice cream, the higher the fat content the better the product. As to healthy American cooking, give me a 2 pound slab of rare Prime Rib, with the blood and fat just running off the plate! Yummy.

Hank

And it will only get worse. The government has stuck their noses in with the trans fat issue and will most probably continue to regulate what we can and cannot eat. I fear the days of lovely marbeled beef are numbered.:(

I have "HAD IT" with the darn food police. Hasn't anyone noticed that just about anything that tastes really good is no good! Meat without fat is like the ocean without water! There is still nothing like a great old fashioned potato chip (crisps for you Brits) properly fried in lard! As to ice cream, the higher the fat content the better the product. As to healthy American cooking, give me a 2 pound slab of rare Prime Rib, with the blood and fat just running off the plate! Yummy.

Hank

Hank, yes I would tend to agree, what is Turkey Tom as a dish supposed to be? regards

Archived