All things Monarch of the Seas

Hi, fellow Monarch cruisers. I went on my third Monarch cruise this past April, and I have to tell you, the food was a major disappointment. Only had caeser salad three nights (no spinach salad for the table, only caeser salad). By Sunday night, I no longer had salad. Friday night the tiger shrimp were "shrimpy" alright, very tiny and hard to get out of the shell. Second night filet was majorly overcooked (order med-rare if you want some pink), and came with white rice (I don't remember white rice before). We ordered the sirloin steak and it was unreconizable, and inedible. The turkey dinner on Sunday was dry, dry, dry, and could have benefited from more that a half teaspoon of gravy. We were a party of ten, and everyone agreed, the food was baaddddd! Even the windjammer. Honey stung chicken was cold and dry. Bacon was undercooked, eggs were cold, juices were watered down with melting ice. The Sorrento's pizza was good if you got it hot. Room service coffee was "burnt" tasting (I was really looking forward the the great coffee they usually served). They ran out of Coors Light before we left port!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On my other two cruises, I raved about the food, but this time I got the feeling they were majorly cutting back. Sad that this is our last memory of the Monarch. Hope you all have better experiences.:confused:

Hi, fellow Monarch cruisers. I went on my third Monarch cruise this past April, and I have to tell you, the food was a major disappointment. Only had caeser salad three nights (no spinach salad for the table, only caeser salad). By Sunday night, I no longer had salad. Friday night the tiger shrimp were "shrimpy" alright, very tiny and hard to get out of the shell. Second night filet was majorly overcooked (order med-rare if you want some pink), and came with white rice (I don't remember white rice before). We ordered the sirloin steak and it was unreconizable, and inedible. The turkey dinner on Sunday was dry, dry, dry, and could have benefited from more that a half teaspoon of gravy. We were a party of ten, and everyone agreed, the food was baaddddd! Even the windjammer. Honey stung chicken was cold and dry. Bacon was undercooked, eggs were cold, juices were watered down with melting ice. The Sorrento's pizza was good if you got it hot. Room service coffee was "burnt" tasting (I was really looking forward the the great coffee they usually served). They ran out of Coors Light before we left port!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On my other two cruises, I raved about the food, but this time I got the feeling they were majorly cutting back. Sad that this is our last memory of the Monarch. Hope you all have better experiences.:confused:

I don't know WHEN in April you were on the Monarch, but I was on 21-25.

From your use of "Friday" and "Sunday" in your description, I am assuming that you were on the 3 night.

You said, "We only had caesar salad three nights." Um, weren't there only three nights?

Did you ask your waiter if you could get a spinach salad? It's not one of the you-can-get-it-any-time items, but sometimes if you ask, you can get it.

If you ordered your beef medium, that would be barely pink.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. Your experience is your experience. But mine was just SO different.

And you like the coffee..........which everyone else seems to find it lacking.

:)

its too bad your experience on Monarch wasnt great...we have loved both cruises on her and would continue going on short Baja cruises if she wasnt leaving...some of the things you noted seem a bit picky, but to each is own...hopefully you will find a cruise better suited for you

MM, parse the sentence differently. I think s/he was saying that only Caesar salad was offered all 3 nights (but I'll bet you knew that).

I've found the food on Monarch to be of uneven quality in the last year. Sometimes it's wonderful and sometimes just so-so. We actually had to order more coffee from room service one morning on the 4/18 cruise - the decaf was cold and the regular merely lukewarm. I think they had recycled a coffee pot from an earlier order.:eek: But the replacement pots were piping hot and terrific.

The fleet does have "new" menus - mostly the same food printed on different menus, although they've added some Indian dishes that I don't remember. The seabass on formal night was the better choice of entree IMHO. I think DH had mashed potatoes with his filet - perhaps they ran out. As for turkey on the last night, it has always sucked in the dining room, but it's wonderful in the Windjammer. Monarch has a better WJ than DR in terms of food quality IMHO. But then you miss the handspringing waiters.:)

MM, parse the sentence differently. I think s/he was saying that only Caesar salad was offered all 3 nights (but I'll bet you knew that).

I've found the food on Monarch to be of uneven quality in the last year. Sometimes it's wonderful and sometimes just so-so. We actually had to order more coffee from room service one morning on the 4/18 cruise - the decaf was cold and the regular merely lukewarm. I think they had recycled a coffee pot from an earlier order.:eek: But the replacement pots were piping hot and terrific.

As for turkey on the last night, it's alwasy sucked in the dining room, but it's wonderful in the Windjammer. Monarch has a better WJ than DR in terms of food quality IMHO. But then you miss the handspringing waiters.:)

And oh, I wouldn't want to miss THAT.:o

OOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. No. I was not being facetious. You are right; I had construed the sentence differently.

As for turkey on the last night, it's alwasy sucked in the dining room, but it's wonderful in the Windjammer. Monarch has a better WJ than DR in terms of food quality IMHO. But then you miss the handspringing waiters.:)

:D

Love this thread!

I was wondering what the cell phone service was like from the Monarch on the 3-night to Ensenada. I have Cingular/AT&T and am wondering if I'll be able to keep in touch with Grandma (watching the kiddos) at home while we're gone... I have free long-distance but no international plan. I've only cruised twice - once to the Eastern Caribbean (had service in both St. Thomas and St. Maarten and no long-distance or roaming charges) and once to the Bahamas (where I got my lips ripped off for just a few minutes of cell phone time!).

Thanks!

I have Cingular/AT&T and I was able to use my cell phone on the ship, without additional charges, if we were close to port in San Diego and Catalina Island. I called DH in TX at 6 am to tell him we were entering the San Diego harbor and talked to him until we docked about 45 mins. later. I believe the Captain turns off the ships cellular link about 11 miles from port. I used it on a New England/Canada cruise last year and it was the same thing. If you check your phone and it says Cingular or ATT, you are still on their network.

MM, parse the sentence differently.

Jean.........while you are at it.......could you parse me the salad bowl..........

Do I feel an immediate need to cruise again.

My DW's folks..........whom we just got into a retirement home.........are now moving out.

Parse the vodka!!:D :D

Jean.........while you are at it.......could you parse me the salad bowl..........

My DW's folks..........whom we just got into a retirement home.........are now moving out.

You've GOT to be kidding!!! Where are they going?

Parse it over here, big boy. I'm thirsty!

You've got to be kidding me!!!!:eek:

I have Cingular/AT&T and I was able to use my cell phone on the ship, without additional charges, if we were close to port in San Diego and Catalina Island. I called DH in TX at 6 am to tell him we were entering the San Diego harbor and talked to him until we docked about 45 mins. later. I believe the Captain turns off the ships cellular link about 11 miles from port. I used it on a New England/Canada cruise last year and it was the same thing. If you check your phone and it says Cingular or ATT, you are still on their network.

Shouldn't it say "Cingular or ATT" if that is your carrier?? Just wondering as I want to make sure I am as careful as possible.

embarkation day---is the dining room open for luch or just the buffet? Ncl advertises the buffet and not the dining room but it is open---just wondering.

do they offer any deals on board to book a future cruise?

going on the 4 nite in July!

jenn

What the.................?!?!?!??! :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused:

embarkation day---is the dining room open for luch or just the buffet? Ncl advertises the buffet and not the dining room but it is open---just wondering.

do they offer any deals on board to book a future cruise?

going on the 4 nite in July!

jenn

Buffet. (Windjammer)

No deals, but if you book while onboard, you get an OBC on your newly booked cruise. The amount depends on the length of that cruise.

Shouldn't it say "Cingular or ATT" if that is your carrier?? Just wondering as I want to make sure I am as careful as possible.

If your phone says "Cellular at Sea," then you're on the ship's tower. In a foreign port it should say the name of the local carrier. I always check, too.

Oh my!!:eek: :eek: :D

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on Cruise Critic! I have never cruised before, but my DH and I put one on hold today for Dec 29 Monarch. We wanted an Ocean View and our choices were limited, so I have a cabin question for you. We can either do 8038 or 8014- both limited view (how bad is the view??) or down on Deck 2 -not sure which cabins. Which would you choose? Like I said, neither one of us has ever cruised before, so I thought I would check here for some guidance!

Thanks!

Carrie

We were on the same Explorer, Canada/New England cruise last Sept. weren't we? My sister and I traveled together. Her husband had passed away in April and it was difficult at times, but overall we had a nice trip and got in a lot of relaxing time in the spa with pedicures, massages and facials. The 2 days of soupy fog made me a little uneasy. I did like the sound of the ships horn though.

Your phone should say the name of your provider like it normally would if you were using it within your coverage area. I have Cingular with free roaming, free long distance, etc. When we would get close to ports and within the Cingular area my phone showed Cingular. 'Cellular at Sea' is the ships link. Mexico and Canada appeared on the phone as something different. Before I go to Australia I have to go to the Cingular/ATT store and they will program my phone to international roaming. It is $6.95/mo. plus @ $2.39/minute for calls. NOT CHEAP. My calls will last less than 5 minutes and only 1 per week. I will send email from internet cafes in the ports. I did this in Central America and it worked out great @$5 for 30 minutes internet time.

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on Cruise Critic! I have never cruised before, but my DH and I put one on hold today for Dec 29 Monarch. We wanted an Ocean View and our choices were limited, so I have a cabin question for you. We can either do 8038 or 8014- both limited view (how bad is the view??) or down on Deck 2 -not sure which cabins. Which would you choose? Like I said, neither one of us has ever cruised before, so I thought I would check here for some guidance!

Thanks!

Carrie

Carrie, grab 8038! It's one of the unobstructed obstructed category I Deck 8 cabins!

2228772470046215528S600x600Q85.jpg

If your phone says "Cellular at Sea," then you're on the ship's tower. In a foreign port it should say the name of the local carrier. I always check, too.

Hello Jean!

Hope your doing well, looks like it from the Cruises showing.

How about a Halloween Cruise 10/27/09 on the Jewel? 10 day Repo starting in Boston, ending in Miami. They have a huge thread running already, 40 pages and over 120 people so far- unbelievable group - the Royal Jewels! Think about it!

Dennis

:D

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Carrie

From a Hoosier transplant--- I would take either of the cabins on deck eight. We just had 8038 and the view was only barely obstructed. Not bad at all. We would much rather be up high ( on 8) than down on deck 2, because we are much closer to all the action.:D

Archived