All things Monarch of the Seas

Can you even SEE the water from one of these? We've just booked an OV GTY and thus it's possible that this is what we'll have assigned. Geesh, :mad: I'd hate it worse than an inside. We actually only ever book balconies or insides because the window just seems like a tease...getting one of these "promenade view" dumb ones will totally solidify my suspicions that OV is a waste of money...

Happy Sails,

Annette

Yes, you can see water but not look down into it. You view would be similar to this from deck 7:

1334817716046215528S425x425Q85.jpg

Thanks for the info. Crossing my fingers I don't get one of these now. Also crossed to ward against a cabin too far forward, under the Windjammer, connecting cabin, etc. Come to think of it, I don't have enough fingers to cross for this GTY thing...I should probably call and change the reservation A.S.A.P.

Happy Sails,

Annette

Mohavemommy--- Thank you so much for sharing your photos of the Monarch that you posted in 2005 and 2008.

I have a family group of 13 women ages from 21 - 84 going on this ship out of Port Canaveral in Jan. 09. I was very concerned about the age of the ship and the condition of the ship and cabins. Your photos answered quite a few of my questions plus gave me a little concern. We have booked 5 cabins on deck 8 (obstructed view in your photos) mid-ship and one suite on deck 10. I'm on deck 8. We have quite a few first time cruisers in our group and I want this to be a wonderful experience for them. It's too late to change our cabins now, but do you think deck 8 is an "ok" choice? I value your opinion since you have done so many cruises on the Monarch.

Do many people dress up on formal night since it is only a 4 night cruise? I don't mind dressing up but a few of "the girls" do not want to. I suggested just eating in the dining room in regular dressy casual? There're not going to throw them out.

Thanks again for sharing the photos.

We have booked 5 cabins on deck 8 (obstructed view in your photos) mid-ship and one suite on deck 10. I'm on deck 8. We have quite a few first time cruisers in our group and I want this to be a wonderful experience for them. It's too late to change our cabins now, but do you think deck 8 is an "ok" choice? I value your opinion since you have done so many cruises on the Monarch.

Actually deck 8 cabins are my favorite oceanview ones. They are a great value and are close to the higher deck activities.

Do many people dress up on formal night since it is only a 4 night cruise? I don't mind dressing up but a few of "the girls" do not want to. I suggested just eating in the dining room in regular dressy casual? There're not going to throw them out.

Mostly I see men in shirts with a tie (no jacket). For the ladies it is just a nice cocktail dress or pantsuit. I believe I have only seen real formal wear ie:tuxedo only once. Regular nice casual is the norm the other nights.

Thanks again for sharing the photos.

My pleasure. I will be posting more after my next Monarch cruise in October.

The port is 14 miles from LGB and 19 miles from LAX. The traffic pattern is usually worse from LAX, plus the airport itself is often a mess. LGB is a step back in time - only about 45 flights/day, so getting in and out is usually a breeze. If the fares are comparable and the schedule works, I'll go out of LGB every time.

Thanks for your advice... we are flying into LGB the day of the cruise. (get at about 10:30)

Is it pretty easy to get a taxi?

What is the name of the pier that we need to go to?

Thanks!

Thanks for your advice... we are flying into LGB the day of the cruise. (get at about 10:30)

Is it pretty easy to get a taxi?

What is the name of the pier that we need to go to?

Thanks!

You'll have 2 choices for getting to the port. There is a taxi stand, just as you come out of baggage claim and cross the street. The taxi is $40 (at least it was last Feb), which can be shared between the pax in the taxi. We usually share w/ another couple, which gives us a very cheap ride to the pier, even adding a tip. The other option is the shuttle, which is a per-rider payment (I'm really trying to remember and think it was about $18, but the prices are listed). The shuttle is in the parking lot, right next to where the taxi stand is. Everything is very close to the baggage claim. The bad thing about the shuttle is that you have to wait until it's relatively full and, if the other pax are on Carnival, you'll have to go to the Port of Long Beach, first (as it is closer). If I'm alone and not in a great hurry, I usually take the shuttle.

The pier you want is the Port of Los Angeles, also called San Pedro. Be very clear that you do not want to go to Long Beach (unless you're on the shuttle with Carnival pax).

Getting back to the airport is also easy. There is a stand, just in front of the exit (past all the confiscated irons and such :p). Have fun! ~ L

Please forgive me, but I just can't scroll through all 900 posts to find what I know must be in here somewhere. Have any of you posted any RECENT Monarch Compasses? A link would be perfect, but I'd thank you to even just point me in the right direction...

Happy Sails,

Annette

We almost always book on the starboard side. Muster drill is in the shade (a minor point except at the height of summer) and the thumping from above is less - we book all the way aft because there is less overhang from the Windjammer & pool deck and you can actually get a little sun on your balcony, plus it's very convenient to the aft stairs.

Please forgive me, but I just can't scroll through all 900 posts to find what I know must be in here somewhere. Have any of you posted any RECENT Monarch Compasses? A link would be perfect, but I'd thank you to even just point me in the right direction...

Happy Sails,

Annette

I do not have them posted, but I do have ones from my June 30th sailing. I will see if I can get them scanned into webshots today.

I do not have them posted, but I do have ones from my June 30th sailing. I will see if I can get them scanned into webshots today.

Great! I'll look forward to them. Is your webshots user name the same, or would you possibly post a link?

Happy Sails,

Annette

Hi Everybody!

We are <thisclose> to booking a 4 night on MOS next Aug. 2009 for the week before our Disney Cruise. We want to try RCCL and my dh is not wanting to pay a fortune. I also really want to go to Atlantis. So my question is: we are a family of 4 (kids will be 11 & 8) and we have priced an inside quad. What are the best decks for this type of room? My dh is an early to bed early to rise kinda guy and we like quiet. Any advice and input is welcome. Btw, my dh will not consider any other category because he likes the price on these and this is a make or break deal.

Happy Sails,

Annette

lephysteria has posted her Compasses on webshots.

Go to http://www.webshots.com and search for member "lephysteria".

Great! I'll look forward to them. Is your webshots user name the same, or would you possibly post a link?

Happy Sails,

Annette

Still haven't found the time to get them scanned... will try to get it done this weekend. Once done they will be listed at my webshots page here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/mohavemommy

We've got a first-timer on our roll call who's REALLY worried about seasickness. I think it's a non-issue since the Monarch ports every day (on the 4-nite) and never sails very far into open sea even when it does move overnight.

I know some of you have been on this route lots and lots of times; ever experienced any rough seas?

Happy Sails,

Annette

We've got a first-timer on our roll call who's REALLY worried about seasickness. I think it's a non-issue since the Monarch ports every day (on the 4-nite) and never sails very far into open sea even when it does move overnight.

I know some of you have been on this route lots and lots of times; ever experienced any rough seas?

Happy Sails,

Annette

If someone who is a first time cruiser and is very worried about seasickness, they should either get over the counter anti nausea medicine, or a prescription from a doctor for a box of patches.

Either way.......it should help put this persons mind at ease, and they will know if it gets a bit bumpy, that they have something to turn to, just in case.

Rick

you all bring up a great point that on the 4 nighter there is a port everyday...but I would still recommend that someone worried about getting sea sick bring some type of relief for it...the last night can still be somewhat rocky...and was in April...not enough for many to be ill, but if you may be sensitive to the motion stay woth the side of caution

you all bring up a great point that on the 4 nighter there is a port everyday...but I would still recommend that someone worried about getting sea sick bring some type of relief for it...the last night can still be somewhat rocky...and was in April...not enough for many to be ill, but if you may be sensitive to the motion stay woth the side of caution

This person is apparently coming loaded for bear - patches, ginger pills and bonine. I suggested she go without during the day and try just the ginger first once the ship sails. With so little time on board it would be a drag to be too drowsy to enjoy it. Oh well, first timers need to live and learn just like we all did...sometimes I wonder if anybody ever actually takes any of the advice they ask for:rolleyes: .

Happy Sails,

Annette

What kind of store? You could try google map and google Stores, Long Beach.;)

Just like a Wal-mart or grocery store.

I’ll try the google thing.

We’ll also be taking a cab and not sure if stopping would be a good idea or if we should have a car service pick us up.

For Jim, who has searched in vain for photos of an OS on Monarch (and anybody else who is curious).

http://community.webshots.com/album/565035079gfSeiG

The upgrade fairy visited us this weekend, for the first time ever, and it was a doozy! The only downside to the cabin is that it's directly under the galley, and they did a deep cleaning last night. But it's huge, has a great sitting area and balcony, and comes with some nice amenities that DP don't get, such as a French press coffeemaker. I'm spoiled for life!

Hello all, this is my first post although I have been using this site for the past couple weeks to help in planning my first cruise (harder than I thought!)

I am close to booking a 4 night cruise on the Monarch for myself and about 10-15 friends in the Bahamas on 1/5/09-1/9/09 for my 21st birthday. I have a few questions left and hope that you can help.

1. Is the cheapest way to book rooms for 10-15 by simply doubling up in the single inside rooms, or is there any group rate that might be cheaper? (All I know is there is a minimum of 8 rooms for group rates)

2. I have read reviews saying that the Monarch is a great ship for young people in that the night life has much to offer. Do you think that the cruise I selected will have a lot of college students being that it is over winter break?

Any other suggestions on the cheapest way to book this trip would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

I am not sure if you are planning on celebrating your birthday when on the ship so you need to make sure that you are following RCI's age policies before booking.

Q: What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

A: No guest under the age of twenty-one (21) will be reserved in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult twenty-one (21) years of age, or older. This age limit will be waived for minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms or under-aged married couples (proof of marriage is required).

Please note: An individual's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for the entire cruise vacation.

Archived