All things Monarch of the Seas

For Jim, who has searched in vain for photos of an OS on Monarch (and anybody else who is curious).

http://community.webshots.com/album/565035079gfSeiG

The upgrade fairy visited us this weekend, for the first time ever, and it was a doozy! The only downside to the cabin is that it's directly under the galley, and they did a deep cleaning last night. But it's huge, has a great sitting area and balcony, and comes with some nice amenities that DP don't get, such as a French press coffeemaker. I'm spoiled for life!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Great photos.

It's great you got upgraded. I will be in an OS for the last 3-day to Ensenada. :D

Actually deck 8 cabins are my favorite oceanview ones. They are a great value and are close to the higher deck activities.
How is the noise on deck 8? We have been on the Monarch too many times to count, but never stayed there. It's near The Circuit Lounge and was thinking things could get a bit noisy between the lounge and people coming to and from it....unless we moved 'forward' of the elevators.

Dave

I am not sure if you are planning on celebrating your birthday when on the ship so you need to make sure that you are following RCI's age policies before booking.

Q: What is Royal Caribbean International's Age Policy?

A: No guest under the age of twenty-one (21) will be reserved in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult twenty-one (21) years of age, or older. This age limit will be waived for minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms or under-aged married couples (proof of marriage is required).

Please note: An individual's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for the entire cruise vacation.

Thanks for pointing that out, but I will be turning 21 a week beforehand so that should not be an issue. Does anyone else have any recomendations about the cheapest way for a group of 10-15 to book a cruise/flight? I submitted a request to travelocity about the group rates for Royal Caribbean, so hopefully they will deliver some valuable info.

How is the noise on deck 8? We have been on the Monarch too many times to count, but never stayed there. It's near The Circuit Lounge and was thinking things could get a bit noisy between the lounge and people coming to and from it....unless we moved 'forward' of the elevators.

Dave

I would say anything 8064/8564 forward is good. Had 8584/8586 cabins before and there was some noise... not from the Circuit but from Bolero's below. I really like the cabins that are just forward of the main elevators... 8536 had a great view, was accessible to the elevators and stairs and had no noise.

Thanks for pointing that out, but I will be turning 21 a week beforehand so that should not be an issue. Does anyone else have any recomendations about the cheapest way for a group of 10-15 to book a cruise/flight? I submitted a request to travelocity about the group rates for Royal Caribbean, so hopefully they will deliver some valuable info.

The far cheapest way to go are inside quad cabins... they are much better than a group rate on singles/doubles.

The far cheapest way to go are inside quad cabins... they are much better than a group rate on singles/doubles.

Thank you for the response. If I was trying to book a quad cabin, would I simply choose "interior" room and then select 4 as the number of passengers (I am using orbitz to book it). When I do this, it says the interior rooms are 120 square feet with 2 twin beds. These aren't the rooms that would be shared by four people, are they? Thanks in advance..

Thank you for the response. If I was trying to book a quad cabin, would I simply choose "interior" room and then select 4 as the number of passengers (I am using orbitz to book it). When I do this, it says the interior rooms are 120 square feet with 2 twin beds. These aren't the rooms that would be shared by four people, are they? Thanks in advance..

Some have Pullman beds coming out of the wall. And yes, that would be 120 sq ft for 4 people. Not my idea of fun, but others do it!:rolleyes: I wouldn't even be able to take 2 people in those cabins!:p

Here is a picture of an inside quad cabin on Monarch. I would put two in each cabin, unless there is a really cheap third/fourth person rate. Usually it's not that much cheaper though.

1095802548010482777S425x425Q85.jpg

For Jim, who has searched in vain for photos of an OS on Monarch (and anybody else who is curious).

The upgrade fairy visited us this weekend, for the first time ever, and it was a doozy! The only downside to the cabin is that it's directly under the galley, and they did a deep cleaning last night. But it's huge, has a great sitting area and balcony, and comes with some nice amenities that DP don't get, such as a French press coffeemaker. I'm spoiled for life!

Congrats Jean..........you certainly deserve an OS...........or the RS!!

Between you and Carmen..........I'm not sure who has more time on the Monarch..........but Trudy wrote to me the other day..........saying that if I needed to get anything to her...........to send it to you........since you seem to be sailing on the Monarch every other week!! :D

We have all had great times aboard..........and I'm going once more, in September......and taking my grandchildren. It's the end of an era, and the Monarch will be missed.

We hope to keep in touch with some of the many friends that we have met and cruised with..........on more than one occasion.

Rick

WOW!!! (have any bathroom pics? ;))

Congrats Jean..........you certainly deserve an OS...........or the RS!!

Between you and Carmen..........I'm not sure who has more time on the Monarch..........but Trudy wrote to me the other day..........saying that if I needed to get anything to her...........to send it to you........since you seem to be sailing on the Monarch every other week!! :D

We have all had great times aboard..........and I'm going once more, in September......and taking my grandchildren. It's the end of an era, and the Monarch will be missed.

We hope to keep in touch with some of the many friends that we have met and cruised with..........on more than one occasion.

Rick

What happened to joining us in October?!?!??!!?

Yeah, I wanted to see the bathroom, too!:p

OK........Carol and Carol...........why the bathroom shots??

They are the same bathrooms as the Grand Suites.........and probably the Junior Suites. When the Monarch was built........they did not differentiate between the GS and OS.

And you both have seen the RS bathroom............which does not match any RS bathroom from the Vision Class and up.

Rick

Pre cruise I read all the rviews that I can for the ship we will be sailing. Now time should go by quickly as it probably will take me that long to read this post from day 1 to the finish of this post "47 pages"

Thanks for all the info

OK........Carol and Carol...........why the bathroom shots??

They are the same bathrooms as the Grand Suites.........and probably the Junior Suites. When the Monarch was built........they did not differentiate between the GS and OS.

And you both have seen the RS bathroom............which does not match any RS bathroom from the Vision Class and up.

Rick

Because we're girls, that's why!:p

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Great photos.

It's great you got upgraded. I will be in an OS for the last 3-day to Ensenada. :D

You are more than welcome. We liked it so much we thought of upgrading for the 10/10, too, but alas, all the full suites are booked. And our soon to be former travel agency is such a bunch of numbnuts that they wouldn't be able to manage a change, anyway.:rolleyes:

I didn't bother with bathroom shots because it's nothing special. It's a little bit larger than the JS, but still a standard shower/tub combo, no jetted tub the way the newer ships have.

There's a very nice walk-in closet, too.

We'll both be at 21 in two weeks, and I will be in the exalted category of Monarch Diamond Plus by the time she leaves us. And as you know, I live near the port, which is most likely why Trudy suggested that you send anything to me. But remember that she signs off in a week, so you'd better use FedEx.:)

You are more than welcome. We liked it so much we thought of upgrading for the 10/10, too, but alas, all the full suites are booked. And our soon to be former travel agency is such a bunch of numbnuts that they wouldn't be able to manage a change, anyway.:rolleyes:

I didn't bother with bathroom shots because it's nothing special. It's a little bit larger than the JS, but still a standard shower/tub combo, no jetted tub the way the newer ships have.

There's a very nice walk-in closet, too.

We'll both be at 21 in two weeks, and I will be in the exalted category of Monarch Diamond Plus by the time she leaves us. And as you know, I live near the port, which is most likely why Trudy suggested that you send anything to me. But remember that she signs off in a week, so you'd better use FedEx.:)

Well............Jean.........you are very special to us. Interesting that you both have so many cruises on the Monarch. Is there anyone that has been cruising for so many years that they have more cruises than these two.

Of course........if you two bunked together..........you would have a couple of hundred cruise point.........combined...........and on a lucky night...win the coveted RCCL key chain!!:D :D

Maybe we can get together on the 7th of September............as we are staying at the Double Tree Inn.

Rick

Some have Pullman beds coming out of the wall. And yes, that would be 120 sq ft for 4 people. Not my idea of fun, but others do it!:rolleyes: I wouldn't even be able to take 2 people in those cabins!:p

Here is a picture of an inside quad cabin on Monarch. I would put two in each cabin, unless there is a really cheap third/fourth person rate. Usually it's not that much cheaper though.

We did a quad inside on our last cruise and were not in the cabin enough to have it matter. So, unless you are going to sit in your cabin for any length of time I would still suggest the inside quad. There is more to think about than just the 3/4 fare, there is also the fuel supplement that is higher on the 1/2 passengers.

Does any one know if there is a store between the Long Beach airport and the cruise terminal?

Are you looking for a grocery store? If this link works on Yahoo Yellow pages, it will show several in the area of the airport. I hope this is what you are looking for.

http://maps.yahoo.com/map?q1=4100%20E%20Donald%20Douglas%20Dr%20Long%20Beach%20CA&mag=5&ard=1#mvt=m&lat=33.818812&lon=-118.143033&mag=5&zoom=12&tt=grocery%20stores&tp=1&q1=4100%20E%20Donald%20Douglas%20Dr%20Long%20Beach%20CA

Are you looking for a grocery store? If this link works on Yahoo Yellow pages, it will show several in the area of the airport. I hope this is what you are looking for.

http://maps.yahoo.com/map?q1=4100%20E%20Donald%20Douglas%

Yes thank you!! :)

With all the weight and luggage restrictions I was thinking that maybe it would be better to get some items once we land. Either a grocery or Wal-mart type place.

This is a big help!

One more question….what are the odds we could get a cab to stop???

Or should we get a car service to pick us up? Or just bring our stuff??:confused:

Boy does this bring back memories:D . We did this with our two kids on Sovereign in 2001. Funny thing is, it was fine. We just made sure everything was really organized and in its place and it was good. When I look back now I wonder how the hell we did it :D but if I had to I could do it again.

Yes thank you!! :)

With all the weight and luggage restrictions I was thinking that maybe it would be better to get some items once we land. Either a grocery or Wal-mart type place.

This is a big help!

One more question….what are the odds we could get a cab to stop???

Or should we get a car service to pick us up? Or just bring our stuff??:confused:

The cab will stop, but the meter will keep running, so you'd have to shop quickly. Try calling Sky Limo 800-359-1800 or Execu-car (I don't have the number but you could Google them) to get prices to see what they would charge for the trip with one stop.

There's a Von's supermarket on Gaffey Street in San Pedro, which I think would be the closest and most convenient to your route. There are also Rite and CVS drugstores on Gaffey, so where you go would depend on what you'd buy.

Hello all, this is my first post although I have been using this site for the past couple weeks to help in planning my first cruise (harder than I thought!)

I am close to booking a 4 night cruise on the Monarch for myself and about 10-15 friends in the Bahamas on 1/5/09-1/9/09 for my 21st birthday. I have a few questions left and hope that you can help.

1. Is the cheapest way to book rooms for 10-15 by simply doubling up in the single inside rooms, or is there any group rate that might be cheaper? (All I know is there is a minimum of 8 rooms for group rates)

2. I have read reviews saying that the Monarch is a great ship for young people in that the night life has much to offer. Do you think that the cruise I selected will have a lot of college students being that it is over winter break?

Any other suggestions on the cheapest way to book this trip would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

For your sailing it would cost you $32.50 more per person to put two people in each cabin rather than four. If you could get 16 people/8 cabins, you would also get one free berth which could be divided between the group. Which would off-set the cost. So probably about $17.50 more per person. Which I think would be worth it, just to have two people sharing a bathroom instead of four. JMHO:rolleyes:

We're going on the Monarch at the end of this month for a 3 day cruise. We got a room on deck six and we're wondering if there is anything we should know about deck six?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

If you have an 'outside' OV on deck six, you will hear runners/joggers above you on Deck 7. We have not stayed there, but visited a friend and the noise was pretty constant. If you have an inside - 3rd cabin in is ok, 1st and 2nd inside cabin is below the hallway on deck 7.

Dave

Archived