QE2 Passenger Laundry Room

RMVET

I've heard that trying to use the QE2 passenger laundry room could be hazardous to life and limb. Anyone have recommendations for the best time to use it without crowds? Since we are going on the world cruise, can't avoid using it periodically throughout the voyage.

I've heard that trying to use the QE2 passenger laundry room could be hazardous to life and limb. Anyone have recommendations for the best time to use it without crowds? Since we are going on the world cruise, can't avoid using it periodically throughout the voyage.

Take body armour.

CS gas.

And a broadsword.

Then you can go when you like!

Matthew

Yeah when its like this....

...sorry cant remember the time of day, but there was lots of motion and being aft maybe thats the time to go, when its rough. :)

PIC_0067.jpg.bba4b1f1cd2eab4a7183bd63ca5e2544.jpg

PIC_0066.jpg.cb80ed0c197e874fb28e177daf3f6528.jpg

Yeah when its like this....

...sorry cant remember the time of day, but there was lots of motion and being aft maybe thats the time to go, when its rough. :)

Ah! You take photos of washing machines.

Loony alert.

Bwaaaaaaaah

Bwaaaaaaaah

Bwaaaaaaaah

I went there on 4 occasions in a week, and I never had to wait to use the irons. It was never busy when I went. Lucky I guess!

The obvious answer is it go with Muz.

Why not get up early one day and put an Out of Order sign on the door? Then you go in at your leisure and take care of your laundry?

Ah! You take photos of washing machines.

Loony alert.

Bwaaaaaaaah

Bwaaaaaaaah

Bwaaaaaaaah

Photos of irons are ok then, phew thats a relief :rolleyes:

Look it was empty and a bit surreal and anyway I'm an artist and um thats what artists do, in fact those photos are worth hundreds of pounds, yeah see I've already been offered £5000 on nut-bay :o

Photos of irons are ok then, phew thats a relief :rolleyes:

Look it was empty and a bit surreal and anyway I'm an artist and um thats what artists do, in fact those photos are worth hundreds of pounds, yeah see I've already been offered £5000 on nut-bay :o

Ah! I withdraw the loonie alert. No probs. Go sleep. Relax. zzzzzzzzz.

Loonie alert!

Loonie alert!

Loonie alert!

:D

The only place I know where washing ones clothes is a blood sport. Never wander in unprepared for such things as laundry bag filching, the emptying of dryers the nano second they stop even though there really is no place for the semi dry clothing to be placed without it being resoiled.

The evening before the first formal night is not good and neither is the day when most everyone will run out of garmets at the same time. This seems to be at day 5, 7 or 10 on any given sailing.

Now of course in as much as we have some 25-30 CC members on board for the world cruise we might just get together and seize the room for our exclusive use on occassion.

I went to a cocktail party there once, and none of the referenced behavior was evident...although we did scare away some poor soul who wanted to actually DO LAUNDRY!

Andrew

Could you have invited them to your laundry party? Could you tell us when you scheduled this, so some of us might get access to the washing machines and also get a cocktail? ;)

We were having a pitcher of cocktails. We DID offer some sparking wine...hmmmm, maybe THAT'S why they went running!

I was not the organizer, but, if memory serves, it was after a late night in the Yacht Club, and no one was about....certainly not the florist! If you should ever stubble upon us, feel free to sit, sip, rinse and spin....we were lacking munchables, so, along with your laundry and ALL-Tempa-Cheer, please bring nut mix or canapes....

Andrew

We were having a pitcher of cocktails. We DID offer some sparking wine...hmmmm, maybe THAT'S why they went running!

I was not the organizer, but, if memory serves, it was after a late night in the Yacht Club, and no one was about....certainly not the florist! If you should ever stubble upon us, feel free to sit, sip, rinse and spin....we were lacking munchables, so, along with your laundry and ALL-Tempa-Cheer, please bring nut mix or canapes....

Andrew

If we skip right over the "sparkling wine" ;) thing and go right to the pitcher of cocktails, we'd be most happy to bring some snackies. And laundry, of course. Can't think of a finer way to do the washing.

i only went to the laundry once and upon entering there was a woman that was out of control screaming that she would kill the(*#*#*#*) person that stole her favorite bra and undies . I sheepishly went back to my cabin and had the room steward take it to the ships llaundry. VERY DANGEROUS PART OF THE SHIP

Needless to say, being the spineless, wimpish, snivveling doormat that I am I, got volunteered by "She Who Must be Obeyed" to be the chief laundry person for Cabin 4072. The experience was, shall we say, interesting. I spent a total of 23 years in the British Infantry (and a Highland regiment at that - one that had acquired a certain reputation down the years for their somewhat "robust" methods of dealing with Brenda's enemies) but, quite frankly, I'd rather attempt single handedly to sort out a rough-house in the Jocks' beer bar than go into action against the denizens of the laundry again. As Wellington is reputed to have said of his soldiers "I don't know what they do to the enemy, but by God they frighten me".

From memory I think they open the door at 0730 and the place is usually empty round about then. But that time of the morning may not suit everyone.

Jimmy

VERY DANGEROUS PART OF THE SHIP

Once, when I was in that dangerous place, there was a woman who had trouble operating the dryer.

A man, meaning to be helpful, stepped up and showed her what to do.

She screamed at him "I'm not stupid! I'm not American!"

And this was our first day out on a crossing.

Last year, during QE2's world cruise, I was reading a passenger's blog about the cruise.

Another woman had a dress taken from the laundry.

A few days later, she saw a woman wearing her dress. She approached the woman and explained that a mistake must have been made in the laundry, as it was her dress that this woman was wearing.

Woman no. 2 flipped out and denied it, security was called, woman no. 1 was somehow able to prove ownership, and woman no. 2 was put ashore at the next port.

Enter at your own risk.

Kyle, I remember her! Find & read the blog again; you'll recall! You'll know who she was. :)

She was traveling with that horrid man with the hair; they were always so quick to tell any and all how they ONLY traveled Queens Grill, as if that bestowed some sort of credential. Ah, the English unwashed!

Losing his woman, the man later went into the laundry -- gawd alone knows what HE wanted to steal -- and was never seen again!

True story!

I was on the full world cruise last year, and the laundry was one of the places that seemed to bring out the worst in people in terms of rudeness. Tempers flared often to the point of near physical confrontations.

The laundry tended to thin out during feeding times. I always went around 6:00-6:30 pm and never had to wait for a machine. It closes at 8:00.

Enjoy the big cruise.

Bobby

I had the need to use the laundry in 2004 for the first time ever and with a lady friend from the table we both agreed to make the venture along to the Laundry, who in their right mind would be there at 6am we thought , the alarm was set for 05.55 so all l needed to do was rise and take my little bag along and collect my friend enroute to arrive for 6am. We had over done the sherry:rolleyes: a few hours before and were in a bit of a state, hair was a mess, no make up on and in no way presentable for public viewing, and that was only me.

Arrived at the laundry and we stepped inside into the blinding light and realised it was nearly full and all eyes were upon us:eek: never had we wished more for a hole to appear so we could jump in. But we do still chuckle about that morning:)

Usually l travel with enough clothes to last the duration of the cruise without the need to wash anything.

We had over done the sherry:rolleyes: a few hours before and were in a bit of a state, hair was a mess, no make up on and in no way presentable for public viewing, and that was only me.

ROFLMAO!! CQ - we've definitely got the same sense of humour.

But you can't beat the old launderette. I wonder why it seems to bring out the worst in some people. Without exception, everyone we met on the ship (outside the launderette) was unbelievably friendly, approachable and just generally easy to get along with. In there though, you could feel all the eyes boring into you just daring you to lay a finger on the wrong bloody spin dryer or pick up the wrong laundry bag. I was even scared to sit down on one of the few seats in the place in case the "owner" was ironing or taking something out of the dryer. You just knew that, if you put a foot wrong, the next stop was probably going to be a date with something large, carniverous and slimy at the bottom of the Mediterranean :)

Jimmy

What upsets me most is that some people abuse the system by using two or more machines at a time to do only a few articles of clothing. Do they do this at home? Or is it because the use of the machines are free?

Also, why is it that some think that taking home dirty laundry is not the thing to do? Is it out of consideration for airport security personnel or is it again because the facilities are free?

Also, why is it that some think that taking home dirty laundry is not the thing to do? Is it out of consideration for airport security personnel or is it again because the facilities are free?

Dirty clothes take up more space in the suitcase. I don't know why, it's a mystery, but there it is.

I have not run into any nasty passengers in the laundrette. I do send the DH to do the laundry some times--he is an early riser, and can get in there and fill all 8 machines. (Only kidding about filling all machines.) But I do know why people use more than one machine at a time--it gets everything done in the shortest possile time.

Perhaps it's the extreme heat and humidity in there that puts people on edge.

A good time to do laundry is when you're in port, if you're not spending all day ashore. All ship's facilities are quiet then.

One serious warning about the launderette--the irons tend to be in rather poor condition, and the sole plates can be scratched or dirty. Bring an old handkerchief to use as a pressing cloth.

Kathy

Archived