Port Charges for a solo cruiser

ging466

I've just received a quote from a TA for HAL and they charge double for the port charges...is this standard in the industry?

I took a cruise package for my upcoming NCL cruise to South America in December and so I have no idea whether NCL does it too.

As if the single supplement isn't enough...is this just another way to rip off the solo cruiser?

Regards

Ging466

Booked several solo cruises and have one planned for next month, I've never been charged double for port fee's. I pay taxes on the entire cruise just like everyone else but I have NEVER paid double port fee's for a solo/single cruise, and its never been an issue. Why would the cruise line do that??? Double port charges, the cruise line isnt getting the $$$. Get another TA, or like myself dont use one at all. I book with an internet only "agency" no TA nonsense it's THEE only way to go. If you pay double port fee's for only yourself its your fault, never heard of it before and just for the record I paid 200% single supplement for my balcony on the Emerald next month, 1 single port fee just for me, no problem, when I have to worry about being charged double port fee's for only myself its time for me too look elsewhere and you should too. Double port fee's aint happnin,and have NEVER heard of it for a single cruiser. I would question ANY TA who told you that. Later Todd

Booked several solo cruises and have one planned for next month, I've never been charged double for port fee's. I pay taxes on the entire cruise just like everyone else but I have NEVER paid double port fee's for a solo/single cruise, and its never been an issue. Why would the cruise line do that??? Double port charges, the cruise line isnt getting the $$$. Get another TA, or like myself dont use one at all. I book with an internet only "agency" no TA nonsense it's THEE only way to go. If you pay double port fee's for only yourself its your fault, never heard of it before and just for the record I paid 200% single supplement for my balcony on the Emerald next month, 1 single port fee just for me, no problem, when I have to worry about being charged double port fee's for only myself its time for me too look elsewhere and you should too. Double port fee's aint happnin,and have NEVER heard of it for a single cruiser. I would question ANY TA who told you that. Later Todd

First, it isn't the TA that decides to charge you double port fees...they charge what the cruiselines tell them to charge. Secondly, NCL has been charging double port charges all year and others are now joining in on it. I don't agree with it at all, but that is what's happening. Ask your TA to check other cruiselines and choose one that is not charging double.

I'm shocked anyone is charging double port fees. I thought the country charges the fees for each passenger who is entering the country (or is on board). I wonder if the cruise line is charging a "tax" and keeping it for themselves. I suppose the country could charge based on the size of ship and an assumption that all berths are booked, but I doubt it.

The double charging isn't for port fees, which go to the government. The CLs are doubling the non-commissable fees. Below is a quote from the April CC article on solo cruising:

"NCL and Princess Cruises -- are now making solo guests pay double the non-commissionable fees (NCF's) that every guest is charged at the discretion of the cruise line. (These are not government-mandated fees and taxes, which by law can only be charged per person.)"

Unfortunately, it is just another way for CLs to make more money for doing less, or in this case nothing.

What exactly are these non-commissionable fees (NCF's) and why are they charged anyway?

On the quote that I got from HAL, i was given the following rates:

Category Twin (outside)

A$8406.00pp (incl Port Charges $667pp ) +Govt Tax $300pp

G - Single (outside)

A$13237.00 (incl Port Charges $1001pp ) + Govt Tax $300pp

No mention of any other fees.

We solos are getting a raw deal, aren't we?:mad:

What exactly are these non-commissionable fees (NCF's) and why are they charged anyway?

On the quote that I got from HAL, i was given the following rates:

Category Twin (outside)

A$8406.00pp (incl Port Charges $667pp ) +Govt Tax $300pp

G - Single (outside)

A$13237.00 (incl Port Charges $1001pp ) + Govt Tax $300pp

No mention of any other fees.

We solos are getting a raw deal, aren't we?:mad:

I know for a fact that NCL used to list NCFs separately from the cruise and port charges--I still have the documents from my first cruise--and they used to list them on their website when you got a quote but not anymore, I checked this morning. My two current RCCL cruise invoices don't list NCFs at all.

You are right, as solos we sometimes get a raw deal. I sometimes feel we are abused financially because we want to and are able to travel solo. These extra fees are just an example of piling on the charges. My plan is to not sail on any line that doubles NCFs (and yes, I'm going to be asking about them before booking) until I run out of cruise lines to sail on. I figure at one cruise (or maybe two) a year, I have plenty of time.:D

Here is an long/interesting article on the subject of "port charges" taken from USATODAY last year titled Read cruise lines' fine print.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/columnist/burbank/2006-04-04-burbank_x.htm

The way I read it Carnival can add any surcharges they want in the Non-commissionables.

Edit by Host Kat: DaytonCruiser's post on the Carnival Forum has been edited per the Copyright Infringements section of the Community Guidelines. It now shows link only and no copy/paste of text.

The edited post is now quoted above. You can click the link in the quote to go to the article. You can also click the little arrow at the end of DaytonCruiser's name in the quote to go to their post in the Carnival Forum thread. That way, you can read the whole thread titled Carnival sticks it to the single cruiser if you like.

Archived