Can't believe these grips!

vmom

It just kills me how people have nothing to do with their time but complain. What crawled under their britches to make them so miserable?? First year on Princess, we were unsure about the personal choice dining, so we opted for traditional. We were seated with one couple where the woman did nothing but complain. After two night of listening to this, we moved to anytime dining. I actually ran into the woman in the hall one day, and she asked why we weren't at their table for dinner? I flat out told her, "Honey, I am on vacation, and like to enjoy my dinner without listening to you complain about everything." Her jaw hit the floor. Maybe that's what it takes. Just come right out and tell them to shut up. I'm on vacation, I don't have to cook, clean, work or otherwise. Just my opinion.

It just kills me how people have nothing to do with their time but complain. What crawled under their britches to make them so miserable?? First year on Princess, we were unsure about the personal choice dining, so we opted for traditional. We were seated with one couple where the woman did nothing but complain. After two night of listening to this, we moved to anytime dining. I actually ran into the woman in the hall one day, and she asked why we weren't at their table for dinner? I flat out told her, "Honey, I am on vacation, and like to enjoy my dinner without listening to you complain about everything." Her jaw hit the floor. Maybe that's what it takes. Just come right out and tell them to shut up. I'm on vacation, I don't have to cook, clean, work or otherwise. Just my opinion.

HA! I would have loved to seen her face!! :p Good on ya for telling her. Bet she spent the rest of the cruise complaining about you, lol!:rolleyes:

I love it when folks complain about their cruise being a few days away and there's a hurricane in the area. Uh, didn't you realize you booked a cruise during hurricane season?:confused:

Unfortunately a wonderful open forum like cruise critic also gives the complainers a way to vent. Of course here on the Princess board all us "cheerleaders" pounce quickly so usually after their one post they diasppear. :D

Some time ago there was a wonderful thread about what various tactics are used on board when confronted or seated with a complainer. Lots of creative suggestions were there.

land based all inclusive in Bahamas...guy is drunk in the disco one night, pounds his glass on the bar counter and cuts his hand, sues the hotel because" he cannot enjoy all the watersports because of his cut hand and wants compensation".

Guess what, folks? he won......

:cool:

Oh, yea he was American.. you all have a rep in the Caribbean for this sort of fun and games...

Do not bash me, I am from Ct

That being said, we were staying at a very questionable all inclusive in Coz one year. My DW started complaing loudly about the "disgusting" food at the hotel and the horrible room.

I told her to shutup because maybe, some people were actually enjoying their vacation in spite of what we were experiencing, so don't dampen their vacation

We were on Empress of the Seas. Went up to Lido in the morning and went to the coffee machine. There was a man ahead of me who just put his cup under the spout and stood there. After shifting from foot to foot for about 2 whole minutes while the guy just STOOD THERE doing nothing, I said, sir, are you going to get coffee or not? He turned to me and said I have been standing here waiting for it to come out. I laughed and told him you have to push the little button! :rolleyes: Then I jokingly said, first cruise??? He said no, first one on RCI but it will be his last because the coffee machine was bs. Geez....I guess I should have asked him what ship he cruised on where he didn't have to push a button for coffee. I mean, the absolute luxury of it....that would just MAKE MY DAY, ya know??? :D

Reminds me of another one....

...In Ushuaia, Argentina 800 miles from Antartica. We were getting off the ship and a woman said "I can't believe that it's this cold", I asked her "Didn't you know that you were going to be 800 miles from Antartica, what did you think"....her response....but I'm on a cruise, it's not supposed to be cold!

I am not a complainer but I did put a post about our bad experiences on the Diamond Princess for the last 2 weeks. This was our first Princess cruise but our 15th cruise overall. I only had previous cruise line experience to compare with. I did list a lot of things that I did not like but I also listed the good things too. I agree that a lot of complaints are really silly. I did not know about this website until just the other day but I sure wished I had known before the cruise. I am enjoying all of the post so far, good and bad.

Two examples on my recent cruises... 1) one woman complained loudly in the dining room that she couldn't find anyone to "hookup" with and maybe should go for the crew members; and 2) the couple at breakfast on disembarkation day basically ran through their complaints about everything during the cruise, but at the end of their meal said... " We have absolutely nothing to say bad about this cruise." :eek:

My biggest complaint, and this has happened every time, is they make me get off the ship:D That's just not right... anyone else have this issue? :confused:

All the best,

VB1

I am not a complainer but I did put a post about our bad experiences on the Diamond Princess for the last 2 weeks. This was our first Princess cruise but our 15th cruise overall. I only had previous cruise line experience to compare with. I did list a lot of things that I did not like but I also listed the good things too. I agree that a lot of complaints are really silly. I did not know about this website until just the other day but I sure wished I had known before the cruise. I am enjoying all of the post so far, good and bad.

Its not the legit gripes, but the "HELLO>>>What were you thinking" gripes or the silly gripes. Like I said, like the lady who is mad at Princess because she booked an inside cabin and got an inside...well HELLO if you wanted a balcony then you should have booked a balcony.

Or the people who are mad at the cruise ship because they feel like they got ripped off at one of the stores in port...like how is that the ship's fault?

Or the people who gripe because the particular ship/cruise line doesn't do something just like another cruise line does (ie...towel animals, ice cream machines with soft serve). Each cruise line does their own thing...accept each for what it has to offer.

After my last cruise, one of those on the roll call (she didn't show up at any of the meet and greets) wrote a review, which ranted on many things, including the complaint that the Horizon Court workers left the rind on the pineapple. I certainly thought that complaint was ridiculous as that showed the fruit wasn't from a can. I guess she didn't like using her knife.

Hi right back at you, Vince!

There are situations in which complaints are justified. Recently on the Grand, our friends had a mini suite whose balacony was consistently flooded. They did have a legit complaint because they could notego out there without having to stand in water an inch deep. They never even thought to complain about it, so we call maintanence and within an hour they had a vacuum out there and fixed the problem. No reason to go on and on about it in a review. It was a problem, it was fixed, it did not ruin the cruise.

You gotta wonder what these folks are like at the regular jobs if they are this unhappy while on vacation...

Charlie

Captainron, when I read "d." about infants peeing in hot tubs, I burst out laughing and spit my coffee out...how funny....I didn't see this one but for some reason it is hilarious to me......people should expect that, you never know who is gonna pee in the hot tub or pool, believe me someone will, but LOL!!!!!:p :D

Ok, this sounds funny but it really can be a major problem on any cruise ship. First, infants and children are not even supposed to be in any hotub, and in fact, they can be very dangerous to small children since their tiny bodies cannot properly handle the heat. 2nd. It is now a major health code violation for anybody in a diaper (non-potty trained) to enter any pool or hotbut on a ship (this is now a CDC/Coast Guard regulation). We were recently on a cruise (not Princess) where on two consecutive days at sea they had to shutdown the pools for several hours (and it was the hottest part of the day, drain all the water, clean the pools, and than refill. Why? Because somebody took their diapered child into the pool. Than these very "thoughtful" passeners did the same thing the following day. We heard (cannot confirm this) that the family was "put off" the ship at the next port. Trust me that most passengers did not find it "hilarious" when they lost use of the outdoor pools for most of two days.

Hank

I think you really have to think about the reviews as you read them. I dont even read the really bad ones...typically its a agrivated person that was set of by something and then the rest of the trip is a snowball. You have to just take the reviews for what they are...each person will have an entirely different experience on the same cruise...they can be a great tool in helping with decision making, but dont put too much weight on one review

I'd blame the TA for the original complaint about not getting an upgrade. I see a lot of TAs enticing people with the possibility of an upgrade, almost to the point of making it sound impossible not to get one.

We booked a cat. G guarantee for our next cruise. Our TA emailed to let us know we had been upgrade to a cat. FF. Of course it's still just an obstructed view cabin--something I don't really consider an upgrade.

The strangest complaint I've heard was at lunch one day on the Golden Princess. The people complained that the matzoh balls in the soup were too small and that the ribs, described on the menu as in a barbecue sauce, were too spicy.

I would no sooner dismiss a negative review than a good review. Why? Because many on these boards have become cheerleaders for particular cruise lines and they can do no wrong. We see the same thing on cruises when other passengers will tell us how wonderful the ship is and that they have been on 40+ cruises with such and such a line. Than they tell us how much better the line is than other lines. We will than ask them about their experiences on other lines and we often hear something like, "That other line is so bad that I would never cruise with them." When we ask how they know its awful they say, "we heard it from somebody else." And than there are those they tell you about awful or great cruise lines upon which they have not cruised for 15 years. We cruise more than 70 days a year on many different lines (its a tough life but somebody needs to check out all these ships) and find that all the lines are alway changing with regard to quality. We also have found tremendous differences in quality among different ships of the same line.

Hank

P.S. Regarding the previous post its true! Princess has never figured out how to make a good matzah ball

I would no sooner dismiss a negative review than a good review. Why? Because many on these boards have become cheerleaders for particular cruise lines and they can do no wrong. We see the same thing on cruises when other passengers will tell us how wonderful the ship is and that they have been on 40+ cruises with such and such a line. Than they tell us how much better the line is than other lines. We will than ask them about their experiences on other lines and we often hear something like, "That other line is so bad that I would never cruise with them." When we ask how they know its awful they say, "we heard it from somebody else." And than there are those they tell you about awful or great cruise lines upon which they have not cruised for 15 years. We cruise more than 70 days a year on many different lines (its a tough life but somebody needs to check out all these ships) and find that all the lines are alway changing with regard to quality. We also have found tremendous differences in quality among different ships of the same line.

Hank

P.S. Regarding the previous post its true! Princess has never figured out how to make a good matzah ball

Hiltner, I agree with you completly. I have been bashed by several people for my negative review of my recent Diamond cruise. I know that everyone has not had a problem like I did on their cruise but the fact is I did and if my experience helps someone else avoid the same problem then that would be great. I have cruised on several lines also and have my favorites but so far I have never had the perfect cruise. I have never met anyone yet that has. But, any cruise is a good cruise. If everyone that has ever had a luggage problem could see what I did with the luggage handlers they would be very upset also. I would post a few pictures but haven't figured a way to put them on here. Keep up your post, enjoy honest non biased reports.

The strangest complaint I've heard was at lunch one day on the Golden Princess. The people complained that the matzoh balls in the soup were too small and that the ribs, described on the menu as in a barbecue sauce, were too spicy.
I have to laugh at this one since I had a similar experience on the Golden last February on my Buenos Aires to Santiago cruise. I was sitting at a large table in the buffet and three other ladies joined me at the table (didn't know them before.) One of them said, "The food on this ship is awful! Why don't they serve 'regular' food rather than that 'strange South American food' like veal and lamb." Trying not to laugh or comment, I finished my lunch and got away as fast as I could.

Archived