Yellow Fever shot

edpacecar

Cruising down the Amazon on the Veendam. Four stops with overnight in Manaus

Has anyone had any side effects from the Yellow Fever shot?

For those who cruised the Amazon did you also get the Hepatitis A & B Vaccine injection? It doesn’t seem to be needed but some advise it.

Malaria pills – did most cruise passengers take them?

Had no reaction to either Yellow fever or Twinrix (Hep A&B) Twinrix is given in 3 shots--1, 30 days later the 2nd and 6 mos. later the 3rd. Yellow fever is one shot. Be sure to have DT and Typhoid up to date as well. Typhoid hurts!!!!! Remember they only hurt for a little while. Pat

The risk of problems associated with the yellow fever shot is low but just like any shot there are risks and some people will have reactions. I have taken it twice, most recently last year and my wife once and we did not have a reaction to it. But, as I say some people get reactions to this as some people get reactions to the flu shot.

We did an extensive world cruise earlier this year so we consulted with not only our own doctor but someone with medical expertise for places around the world. In the end we got a vaccine for typhoid (there are two types and we went with oral vaccine as it lasts for more years), we ensure that our Tetanus vaccine was up to date, and we got one of the Hap vaccines. Again, I would consult with a physician on advice.

One thing I learned over the years. It doesn't help for all shots but it does for most. After they give you the shot and they put a bandaid on your arm, rub that area for a couple of minutes with a couple of your fingers. I have found that it help present soreness.

Keith

My husband and I took the Hepatitis A & B shots this year partially because we travel out of the country often, but also because there have been so many hepatitis A outbreaks here in the US recently. If you dine out frequently, or if you eat raw produce even at home, you are at risk. The only side effect was a sore arm at the shot site for about two days. We have a South America cruise booked for 2008-2009. so I imagine a Yellow Fever shot will be next.

Ricki

We did two trips to South America last year and one was the cruise up the Amazon. Before we left on the first trip we had our Yellow Fever injections, Typhoid, Hepatitus A, Tetanus and a booster for polio as well as the meningococcal vacine. I have had lymph glands removed from my left arm so all of these injections went straight into my right arm and I did not have any adverse reations.

I have read that now the Brazilian Government will not issue a Visa if you are going up the Amazon River unless you give them proof of having had the Yellow Fever injection.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...
Had my Hep vacs last week - no real problems - arm felt a bit heavy for an hours or two after. Wife had her yellow fever last week no problems, I'm in tomorrow, will let you know how it goes ;) .

No problems - sorest bit was £45 ($90) fee. :eek:

OUr family jusy had YF shots this week

$100 per person

and

$63 per shot- typhoid--ours had expired.

It was interesting to learn from the travel nurse that the YF vaccine is HIGHLY regulated worldwide--its the only one handled in this speical way...

and the shot giver has to have an authorized stamp with a # on it--etc...kind of like a notary.

Our shot records--which I have had since '99--with all of our travel shots and all of the kids shots (and our updated MMRs etc) actually has a special page just for YF vaccine.

The YF vaccine is good for 10 yrs.

When the travel clinic put in our ships itinerary--the YF came up as required...

I just had my YF shot (and Hep A/B) on Monday. Arm is slightly tender, but not as sore as it was after the flu shot. Only major side effect was sleepiness. I was exhausted and in a fog for about 24-36 hours.

Nice thing is the travel clinic didn't think typhoid or malaria prevention was necessary for my trip to Iguazu Falls. Only other thing he did was give me a prescription for cipro, just in case I have some, ahem, digestive issues on the trip.

Archived