New Queen Elizabeth

SSL

Well I have booked a first class cabin for a night on that 'building' next month, before boarding a HAL Vista. Although technically, I am sure you are quite right, I am still happy that this grand old lady is the only 'ship' still to bear the name.

Oh don't get me wrong. We don't disagree. A rose by any other name......

Matthew

But I do feel a bit bad for the original Queen Elizabeth of 1940, which is now in an awkward name situation. I think I'll switch over to QE1/QE2/QE3, no matter the technical names of each ship. KISS.

Cunard practice seems to be, where the context requires it, to refer to the ship as Caronia I, Caronia II and Caronia III (for example). Yet one would refer to the third ship as "Caronia" if one was talking about her in the context of the time when she was the only running mate to QE2.

Matthew

Well I have booked a first class cabin for a night on that 'building' next month, before boarding a HAL Vista. Although technically, I am sure you are quite right, I am still happy that this grand old lady is the only 'ship' still to bear the name.

You'll be staying aboard my beloved Mary! Please tell her hello for me.

Yes, I talk to her when I'm there and there is NOTHING wrong with that :rolleyes: :D

Betsy

A wee bit off topic but the Travel CVhannel is showing Samantha Brown on the RC Freedom of The Seas. It is a giant shopping mall with condos attached. Good Lord deliver us from such designs.

Why would anyone wish to book a cruise on something that they can rent on land for a third the price? Or even just drive to the edge of town and visit for the price of a few gallons of gas.

Cunard has always been a cut above and needs to stay there. There is a good sized niche market for offering liners with top drawer service, food etc.

But the original was not gone when Cunard had intended to name their new ship "Queen Elizabeth", soon to be known as Queen Elizabeth 2

For a time there was going to be two Queen Elizabeth's

When the Queen Elizabeth was moored in Ft. Lauderdale for a while, before her fateful final voyage to Hong Kong, she was renamed 'The Elizabeth', so there was only to be one 'Queen' Elizabeth. As far as I know, the Queen Mary is still the Queen Mary. Presumably she is no longer 'RMS'.

bscot, you are correct. The Queen Mary is no longer a RMS, as she no longer carries the Royal Mail between the UK and the US.

I'm told for a time when it was first in Long Beach they did still refer to her as "RMS Queen Mary" in their promotional literature, even creating merchandise including it; they were 'asked' by the Royal House to refrain from doing so.

Steve L.

You'll be staying aboard my beloved Mary! Please tell her hello for me.

Yes, I talk to her when I'm there and there is NOTHING wrong with that :rolleyes: :D

Betsy

Of course I will, & I will have a nice little chat with her, updating her on all these new ship plans.

How are the Rivet Frogs coming along?

I completely agree about the funnel. Since the time of the old ocean liners, the funnel's colors were a thing of pride, and signalled the difference between the various Lines' ships, with White Star Line's 'buff' color, United States Line's red, white and blue, HAL's yellow with a green/white stripe. And of course, my favorite (and I would imagine the favorite of most everyone here), Cunard's red/orange funnels with the black top boot and stripes.

I love to see a tall, majestic funnel on a Cunard ship, like the ones on the original Queen Mary, and QE2's current one. There's nothing like walking around deck, and looking up to see those Cunard colors! I really hope the new Lizzy has a funnel like that (and no visible pipes, like the QV!!!!!)

Steve L.

I completely agree about the funnel. Since the time of the old ocean liners, the funnel's colors were a thing of pride, and signalled the difference between the various Lines' ships, with White Star Line's 'buff' color, United States Line's red, white and blue, HAL's yellow with a green/white stripe. And of course, my favorite (and I would imagine the favorite of most everyone here), Cunard's red/orange funnels with the black top boot and stripes.

I love to see a tall, majestic funnel on a Cunard ship, like the ones on the original Queen Mary, and QE2's current one. There's nothing like walking around deck, and looking up to see those Cunard colors! I really hope the new Lizzy has a funnel like that (and no visible pipes, like the QV!!!!!)

Steve L.

P&O do a not bad job on funnels.

When the Queen Elizabeth was moored in Ft. Lauderdale for a while, before her fateful final voyage to Hong Kong, she was renamed 'The Elizabeth', so there was only to be one 'Queen' Elizabeth.

As we all know, QE2 was named and launched on 20 Sept. 1967.

Queen Elizabeth made her final departure from Southampton on 28 November 1968, at which time she even received a farewell message from QE2, then on her sea trials.

As you said, Queen Elizabeth was still Queen Elizabeth up to arrival at Fort Lauderdale on 8 December, 1968

"If" QE2 had been christened as Cunard intended, as Queen Elizabeth rather than "Queen Elizabeth the Second", for a time, just shy of fifteen months, from 20 Sept. '67 to 8 Dec. '68, there would have been two Queen Elizabeths

Although not in service at the same time, there still would have been two.

Of course I will, & I will have a nice little chat with her, updating her on all these new ship plans.

How are the Rivet Frogs coming along?

bcscot,

That would be wonderful, I know Mary would be interested in hearing about a new Elizabeth, I won't tell you what she said about Vicky ;) I did send the Rivet Frog idea to the Foundation but have not heard back from them yet. I think it's a very cute idea! Enjoy your stay aboard the one and only MARY :D

Betsy

Aside from those of you who are privy to secret information, did anyone expect this news? I was surprised.

I was not surprised, but I wonder why they did not announce this during the 40th Anniversary Cruise. I was hoping to hear this type of news at the time, perhaps even with some details on the new ship. Yes, I am an optimist. Given the selling rate of QV and QE2, I thougtht another ship would be inevitable.

I just watched the Samantha Brown/Liberty of the Seas show on the travel channel for a dose of shock tonight. Honestly, I wouldn't mind trying a cruise on one at some time with the kids. :eek: Cunard, though, has its niche and should stick with it and hopefully Carnival does not water down the unique Cunard experience. Please don't give us one of those bloated floating malls.

Now we need someone to get the real inside scoop on the detail of QE.

KenM

Hi ocn...

I can´t see why they can not sell Caribbean out of New York in Winter. I am leaving NY Jan. 3 rd for the Caribbean.

Like the idea of a new Queen Elisabeth.

Also like the real Ocean Liner Look, but we should stay realistic- we all love those nice things about the new ships- like balconys and so on. So that does not match wie the old style. Anyway ones as to move with the modern times, otherwise the human beeing would still live in trees. LOL.

Greetings and happy cruising

Michael

I was not surprised, but I wonder why they did not announce this during the 40th Anniversary Cruise. I was hoping to hear this type of news at the time, perhaps even with some details on the new ship. Yes, I am an optimist. Given the selling rate of QV and QE2, I thougtht another ship would be inevitable.

I just watched the Samantha Brown/Liberty of the Seas show on the travel channel for a dose of shock tonight. Honestly, I wouldn't mind trying a cruise on one at some time with the kids. :eek: Cunard, though, has its niche and should stick with it and hopefully Carnival does not water down the unique Cunard experience. Please don't give us one of those bloated floating malls.

Now we need someone to get the real inside scoop on the detail of QE.

KenM

I like Samantha's other episodes better than that one. :rolleyes:

Since the bottom line of this news is the bottom line, Carnival Corp. must think there is a demand for a new Queen Elizabeth. Ms. Marlowe's prose implies it will be similar to the existing ships, so if you put all that together it could be that the new ship won't be a floating barge/block of flats/bloated mall. Goodness knows there are plenty of those out there already, and more on the way.

Also like the real Ocean Liner Look, but we should stay realistic- we all love those nice things about the new ships- like balconys and so on. So that does not match wie the old style.

Michael

I agree: What would be the point of building a new ship if it's to look like the old one?

Hi ocn...

I can´t see why they can not sell Caribbean out of New York in Winter. I am leaving NY Jan. 3 rd for the Caribbean.

Like the idea of a new Queen Elisabeth.

Also like the real Ocean Liner Look, but we should stay realistic- we all love those nice things about the new ships- like balconys and so on. So that does not match wie the old style. Anyway ones as to move with the modern times, otherwise the human beeing would still live in trees. LOL.

Greetings and happy cruising

Michael

Hi Michael.

Nor can I. The fact the ship leaves in Winter from NYC was the main attraction for the trip we'll be on (with you ;) ).

Everything else I'll leave to you imaginative speculators.

My first voyage on a ship was a westbound transatlantic crossing on the original Queen Elizabeth in 1967. My father took me on a trip to Paris. We were in A75 which was the bedroom of one of the large A deck suites. Much as I have since loved the late ss France, I have never again experienced the extraordinary experience of crossing the Atlantic on a pre World War 2 ship. The QE2 and the QM2 (which, despite the hype seem to me to be cruise ships and not true ocean liners -- please don't scream, this is my personal opinion) though quite good, have, for me, never lived up to 1st Class on the original Queen Elizabeth or the ss France.

My expectation is that the new Queen Elizabeth will be another one of a long line of cruise ships. I hope that I am wrong!

Aside from those of you who are privy to secret information, did anyone expect this news? I was surprised.

I didn't expect this. I've been out all day and this is the first chance I've had to check in here. I'm still in shock.

I wasn't sure they could fill three ships. with Mrs. B based in England/Europe, and QM2 based mainly in the US plus TAs, what will the new Elizabeth do? I didn't expect a new ship to be announced until MAYBE after Mrs. B had been sailing for a year.

My first thought was outrage--the body isn't cold yet, so to speak and they're reusing the name. I think I might have preferred a Queen Anne. I'm concerned that this ship will be another floating apartment building, and I'd hate to see Elizabeth's name attached to something like that. I'll decide if I'm happy about the name when I see what the ship looks like.

I know she can't be a replica of QE2. The quirks we forgive in an old friend we find annoying in a new one. But at least she won't be a shopping mall inside. She'll be too small for that, thank goodness!

I've read all the posts, and I think that most of what people are wishing for, like single cabins and more single-seating dining, won't happen because conventional wisdom (bean counters :mad: ) says they don't make enough money that way. I wish they would offer more choice in cabin configurations, but I don't expect it to happen.

While we're airing wishes, any hope that Dubai could be convinced to let Cunard have some of the QE2's treasures now that there will be a new Elizabeth? (as they say on game shows, some lovely parting gifts???)

Kathy

While we're airing wishes, any hope that Dubai could be convinced to let Cunard have some of the QE2's treasures now that there will be a new Elizabeth? (as they say on game shows, some lovely parting gifts???)

Kathy

How about the distinctive whistle and the Queen Mary piano for starters. ;)

I know I have been harping on about this, but in a conversation with Ms Marlow during the 40th Anniversary voyage, she hinted quite strongly that there was going to be another Cunarder in the future. The timing has surprised me though.

Hi Jdrmys,

I am toaly envious that you were able to cross the Atlantic on one of those great pre World War II Queens. That, for sure was an experience in itself.

I can really imagine that there is nothing to compare with a TA first class on one of those. But we should not forget, that the people who could afford such TA, first class was very limited then. So it is great that more people can cruise or do a Transatlantic nowadays. Everything has its own time- and maybe that´s all right like it is.

Angela- your reasons are exactly the same cause I booked this cruise we will take in January, excapeing the winter and sailing out AND into NY.

Happy Cruising

Michael

Yes, it is true that the Queen said, "I name this ship Queen Elizabeth the Second" when the QE2 was launched. I have seen the film of the event. She may have thought she was naming the ship for herself -- Queen Elizabeth II. Otherwise, surely Cunard would have told her to say, "I name this ship Queen Elizabeth 2 [two]," as she has always been called.

I am happy that there will be new Queen Elizabeth and hope that the name stands alone in honor of the current Queen Elizabeth II. There will be ambiguity in the name, but it is better than QE3, I think. Might be best to name the ship Queen Elizabeth II. But that is for others to decide, naturally -- much too grand a decision for the likes of us.

Personally, I would prefer the new ship to be named after QE2, rather than QEII, so QE3 gets my vote.

Archived