Do Any of the "CC Old Timers" Remember?

sail7seas

Question: how big was your first cell phone? Mine was gigantic compared to what I have today - and it didn't take pictures, have color graphics (no graphics!), had a ridiculously long antenna that was prone to break and reception was awful - to top it off, it weighed a ton!

We were watching Modern Marvels or something like that and my kids were cracking up over the 70's & 80's "gadgets" - the first walkman, cell phone, 8-track tapes, etc.

Laura, I remember what was fondly called the "The Brick" I did not have one but several friends did:D I waited till they got just a bit smalled (not by much though)

We were watching Modern Marvels or something like that and my kids were cracking up over the 70's & 80's "gadgets" - the first walkman, cell phone, 8-track tapes, etc.

I still have (and occassionally use) the old Watchman TV. I loved that darn thing and it is still in my drawer for use if we have a power failure. :)

When I walk, I often use my very small Sony Walkman radio/tv that hooks on my waistband. I can get about 12 FM stations; 5 AM and the local tv stations (sound only) for my area. I figure it 'ain't broke, I still like it, why not use it? I even bring it on our Canada/New England cruises and seeing as we are often so close to the coast (particularly when on St. Lawrence River) that I can receive stations when we walk the deck.

But I bought DH a great Ipod to use when we walk. :)

But I bought DH a great Ipod to use when we walk. :)

Sail, you are ahead of me, we do not even have an Ipod:D I do have a MP3 player but have only downloaded songs once. I thought it was to much trouble and time comsuming to do anymore.

But I also do not text message either, to me that is way to much work and much easier just to call the person and say what I want to say and if I cannot cal then just email:D

Lisa....... I don't even turn my cell phone on but I do always have it with me. The only time it gets used is if I choose to make a call. Only a few people I know have the number and they all know to not bother calling as my phone won't be turned on. I never learned how to retrieve messages on it. :D

I don't have a clue if my cute little phone does text message. Isn't anything I'm into. Do they all have the capability?

Sail & Lisa -

My kids text me, so I've gotten "into" it - many times they only answer texts, lol because their phones are on silent.

I have tried to get DH into texting, but he is so S-L-O-W at it, he hates when we text him - and usually just calls us back, lol.

My DD can text as fast as I can talk!

Sail - not all can text, but most newer ones do - if it's not part of your plan, it can be very expensive. Needless to say, we have unlimited texting because of the kids.

Does anyone know/remember Cupcaked (Karen)? There are some others just on the tip of my brain, but I'd see them mainly on the Celebrity boards (1998-2001...)

Mors, I think is one ... I'll have to go visit there to jog the memory...another guy was the resident Celebrity "basher" but was a good poster, was just noting differences he was seing that ticked him off. I think he'd compare X to HAL, but had previously loved X. Pretty sure his name ended in an "I". Now this thread is driving me nuts trying to remember :o I found CC back when it was AOL keyword "cruise" on our new Packard Bell :D (about 1997 or so) and found our TA on here :>)

She's handling our first HAL next August, Maasdam Canada/NE.

Ahh rememer! 'Twas Parnami.

Remember "LewKnick" - or something like that? He always had good insights. and interesting posts.

Last I read he was in poor health after serious injuries as a contract worker in Iraq. Sure hope he's still with us and recovering.

I think his name was closer to llknick........

He was severely injured and lost limbs. I hope I am mistaken but I believe he passed away. I certainly apologize in advance if I'm wrong but I'm quite sure I remember hearing that. He was very intelligent; an excellent poster.

Remember "LewKnick" - or something like that? He always had good insights. and interesting posts.

Last I read he was in poor health after serious injuries as a contract worker in Iraq. Sure hope he's still with us and recovering.

I remember him!

It was Iknick, wasn't it????

Question: how big was your first cell phone? Mine was gigantic compared to what I have today - and it didn't take pictures, have color graphics (no graphics!), had a ridiculously long antenna that was prone to break and reception was awful - to top it off, it weighed a ton!

That was my brick! I just got rid of mine within the last few months---and not because I wanted to, either! :mad: The company forced me to get a new one because they were not going to have analog service soon.

There was nothing wrong with it at all; but my new one is smaller and much lighter, I will admit.

That was my brick! I just got rid of mine within the last few months---and not because I wanted to, either! :mad: The company forced me to get a new one because they were not going to have analog service soon.

There was nothing wrong with it at all; but my new one is smaller and much lighter, I will admit.

When you also throw in how much easier it will keep a signal, how much better the reception is, and especially how much longer your battery will last you probably won't miss your brick for long.

Now that I charge my cell phone once every few days I can hardly believe a 20 minute conversation used to run the battery down to nothing.

When you also throw in how much easier it will keep a signal, how much better the reception is, and especially how much longer your battery will last you probably won't miss your brick for long.

Remember when people said "Oh, I'm just getting it for emergencies"? Well, that's what I use mine for. I've turned the new one on once. Don't believe I've made a call with it yet. :rolleyes:

I used to charge the old one once a year just to be sure.

Remember when people said "Oh, I'm just getting it for emergencies"? Well, that's what I use mine for. ............

Me, too, Ruth! And I love the security of having it. I have a Verizon pre-pay and use it so little I've accummulated 49 hours of talk time!!!!

My first "cell" phone was called a mobile phone, I think. I called it a car phone. It was by Motorola and it came in a little zippered case.

I feel so sad about Iknick ...

DH works for Verizon Wireless, and he's constantly replacing our phones with "the latest".....seems like I just learn one phone and he's gotten new phones :mad: Being technologically challenged (and I admit this freely :o ), I don't know how to do 3/4 the stuff my phone can do! As for texting, that seems like too much trouble to me too!

We did make a big change though, we got rid of our land line phone, and are using only our cells. Saves a bundle, we were paying outrageous amounts to the phone company in fees etc. just to have it sit on a desk, whether we used it or not. I didn't think I'd like changing, but now I love it. No more telemarketer calls either ;)

I'll admit I finally decided to go the Blackberry route - tried the BB Pearl, didn't care for it - now DS uses it and loves it.

I DO love my current BB, though forwarding email via Windows Vista (my work) has it's challenges...

I hope those of you that "use it for emergencies only" are better at that than my Mom!!! My Mom is one of those "emergency users" and didn't even know how to turn the phone on, lol!!!! She also did not know how to access the VM - and we were leaving her tons of messages while she travelled last - thankfully (!) a flight attendant helped her.... last time I was there, I programmed a bunch of important contact numbers into it for her.

Marc - I love, love, love having only to charge every 4th day or so, and I use mine a bunch!

Yup...... I'm one of 'them', Laura. :)

I know how to make a call and would know how to answer one if I purposely left the phone on in order to receive an expected call.

That's it.

I never recorded a voice mail message and don't have a clue how to nor how to hear any voice mail which may be left for me. :( I cannot retrieve any style message.

My niece entered some numbers for automatic dialing for me but I never have accessed them.

I have so many thousands of unused minutes it's ridiculous. I am most certainly so overpaying for the plan I have that they must laugh their faces off at what a moron I am. :o

I check every now and then to be sure it is still charged. :D

Yup...... I'm one of 'them', Laura. :)

I know how to make a call and would know how to answer one if I purposely left the phone on in order to receive an expected call.

That's it.

I never recorded a voice mail message and don't have a clue how to nor how to hear any voice mail which may be left for me. :( I cannot retrieve any style message.

My niece entered some numbers for automatic dialing for me but I never have accessed them.

I have so many thousands of unused minutes it's ridiculous. I am most certainly so overpaying for the plan I have that they must laugh their faces off at what a moron I am. :o

I check every now and then to be sure it is still charged. :D

Well, at least you can turn yours on!!! My Mom couldn't. :confused: I'm a firm believer - It's still much better to have it when you need it - than not have it when you absolutely need it in an emergency. It's one of those things that could one day save a life - that's the main reason we have them for our kids (not to check up on them or anything, of course.... ;) )

My 81 year old mother received a notice from her cell phone company saying that she would have to replace her phone because they were going analog. She took the phone to a kiosk in the mall and asked what she needed. The salesperson said that her phone was perfectly fine (even though it is ancient) and that the company just sends those notices out to get people to buy new phones. I suggested that she just use her phone until it dies. She probably makes a call once every 6 months. :D Keeps it in her car and only turns it on when she needs it. Same for my DH. :rolleyes:

I did a search and came up with the following information on Lknick.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=319820

I hope those of you that "use it for emergencies only" are better at that than my Mom!!! My Mom is one of those "emergency users" and didn't even know how to turn the phone on, lol!!!!........

.............I'm a firm believer - It's still much better to have it when you need it - than not have it when you absolutely need it in an emergency. It's one of those things that could one day save a life - that's the main reason we have them for our kids

I try to remember to turn mine on whenever I leave the house so that I can be REACHED in an emergency as well as use it for my own emergency. So, yup! I can turn it on:) . Actually I'm very good at operating all this new stuff and I'm not in the least challenged technically ... I just don't particularly like anything about cell phones.

But you are so right!!!!:) For emergencies, it is the best invention ever. During my own emergency several years ago I'm not sure what I would have done without it. Now I never leave home without it.

Remember when people said "Oh, I'm just getting it for emergencies"? Well, that's what I use mine for. I've turned the new one on once. Don't believe I've made a call with it yet. :rolleyes:

I used to charge the old one once a year just to be sure.

Well now you can charge it every other year.:D ;)

Marc - I love, love, love having only to charge every 4th day or so, and I use mine a bunch!

DW and I went away overnight, so I charged up my phone cell and left the charger at home, after all it's only overnight. Well when we went to the beach I stuck it in the roomsafe. When I took it out that night the battery was dead. Turns out I forgot to turn it off. It couldn't receive a signal in an all metal box and ran the battery dry trying to find a signal.:o

Archived