Tatoos

darbysue

I'd recommend getting your tattoo at least a couple of weeks before your cruise or after your cruise. From what my friends with tattoos tell me, it takes a while for them to heal.

About.com has recommendations to avoid pools, hot tubs, and swimming in the ocean and to avoid tanning after getting a tattoo.

Henna is an ink that only last about two weeks. As for lasting tatoo I would plan it for a time when swimming or sun bathing is not on the sechedule. A new tatoo needs to have a time to cure and not be exposed to water or sun. It must be taken care of according to direction as not to get an infection. WAIT and get one when the time is right. Don't spoil your cruse by having to take care of a new tatoo. I am 58 years old and have two tatoos, but I plan when to get a new one. And once you have one the world is your osyter.:p :p

We actually have appointments at Miami Ink for after our wedding cruise in Nov. 08. I would not tattoo on a cruise because as op say there is a healing factor to consider plus I would rather be somewhere that if there is an infection that starts you can get to a dr right away.

BTW my fiance has a tattoo that he got in Cozumel 10 years ago on one arm and another tat that he got in the states the following year. The Cozumel tat is fading and looks horrible and he is actually getting it covered up. Beware of cheap ink which can happen on these islands.

With a new tatoo you can't go in water for a couple of weeks. The bacteria in a pool would be unsafe. Essentially it's like a healing wound. If you're far enough out from your cruise time she should get one now and then it would be healed and she could show it off for the cruise. You also have to be very careful of the sun with a new tat.

Henna is very popular in India and the Middle East. My daughter's have gotten them at Israeli events here in town. It's a special dye that lasts about two weeks. Brides in India have very elaborate henna tatoos done for their weddings. There are very beautiful and very temporary.

• 4 weeks later...
We got tattooed in Tahiti on the last day of our cruise It was perfectly safe with new needles used, clean machines, sterile place, etc.

There is no place on Princess Cay for tats. I don't know about other islands.

I am going to Tahiti 12/10 and my DH would love to get a tattoo at the birthplace of the art. Can you recommend a place where you got your done?

Thank you in advance for the info!

Hey that sounds like fun... a henna tatoo. I know, I am a whimp! Anyone know a place to get one of those either in St Thomas or St Martin??

Thanks.

You can get them anywhere...they are frequently done right on the beach. I get a henna anklet tattoo almost every warm weather cruise and love it, but know that it looks a little yuckky after 2 weeks as it starts to wear off. Maybe there is a way to hasten the removal (alcohol? nail polish remover?), but I've never tried. Luckily (or unluckily) we usually return from a cruise to snowy and cold weather, and my ankle doesn't see the sun again for several months so it doesn't matter anyways.

They are simply drawn on your skin...cleanliness is not an issue (hence, they can be applied on the beach).

They do temporary stencil tats ON the ship...

are the tempory stencil tatoos the henna? if not how long do they last and where on the ship can they get them;)

As I recall the temporary tattoos onboard are the airbrush kind. I've been looking at starting a business with airbrush tattoos, and from what I've found out, some of them can last as long as 2 weeks, with proper care. But, like anything else, cheaper materials ("ink"/paint) will result in the airbrush tattoo not lasting as long. I've seen some really great looking airbrush tattoos, so be sure to have a look and show them to your daughter - I'm sure she'll be very interested.

If you go to http://www.tatstore.com/ (that's the company I am most familiar with), you can find out more about airbrush tattoos, but there aren't a lot of pictures of examples. You can do a Google image search and see a lot of examples, though.

Here's a small example - the colors can be made to fade from red to orange to yellow to green to blue, as seen on the lizard.

150_0000040353_0000090729.jpg

Hope this helps.

Tim

Archived