Victoria - shuttle from dock question

anyname

Hi... I don't recall the cost of the shuttle but it was about 5 dollars round trip. It drops you off and picks you up at the Corner of the Empress Hotel. We were going to walk to the Victoria Castle but found it too far. I am sure you could grab a cab.

Jim

A shuttle picks you up at the dock - $6.00 per person for the full day. Drops you at the side of the Empress - a good central location for sightseeing. All the ships use the same buses - they are not cruiseline specific.

From there it would be easy to catch a cab to the castle.

Keep in mind that everyone seems to want to get back to the ship/s at the same time, so you may be standing in line for a while. Don't cut it too short.

Hi--We walked from downtown to the castle. I would guess about 1 1/2 miles each way. Our weather was nice, so it wasn't too bad. Last four or five blocks were up a slight hill. The street you go on is Fort St and there were lots of buses. Don't know how much they cost.The castle was around $21 per person(I think).

Other options are available for transportation at the dock as well as the Victoria shuttle.... Taxis, private tour Town cars and a few limos for hire as well. The taxis had a charge of $7.50 for the ride into Victoria, not sure about the others as I wasn't really paying much attention. You might want to check these out before taking the shuttle into town. The shuttle has 4 stops, the Empress, another mid-town, China Town and one I don't remember. Keep in mind that the only pick up back to the ship is at the Empress only. The other stops are drop off , no pick up for some odd reason.

I went to Victoria about 5 years ago on a land vacation.

I also had a cruise stop at Victoria but it was evening only, so we only took the shuttle bus and walked around. Most tourist attractions were closed.

On our land vacation we look a bus tour to the castle. It picked us up somewhere near the pier. I would try to search the internet to see if a tour is available for the time you will be in Victoria. The castle was not in the "city" so it might be hard to catch a taxi to go back to the ship. I would check this out if I was dropped off by a taxi.

The gardens are a good 20 to 30 minute bus ride from the pier. I would not even attempt to drive it myself. We did this tour in the late afternoon because someone said it was interesting to walk around the park first during daylight and then at night when the amazing flower beds were lit by spotlights. I much preferred the daylight. That is why we did not do the ships tour.

I was in Victoria last weekend, and it is very easy to take the bus to the Castle. You want to take either the 11 or 14 bus. They run about every 15 minutes. The cost one way is $2.25 Canadian. When you exit the Cruise Ships shuttle bus, you go up two blocks, turn right on Fort Street and you will see the bus stop. The bus will drop you off about a block from the Castle and the driver will announce the stop so you won't miss it. If you get lucky, you'll get to ride on one of the double-decker buses.:)

We really enjoyed the castle, it gets crowded with tourists (especially when the ship's tour shows up) so go early in the morning to see it. The woodwork and stained glass in the Castle is stunning and well worth the visit. Afterwards we walked down a hill a couple of blocks behind the Castle to see the House where the Queen stays when she's in town. You can't go inside, but they do have the front doors open so you can view the main entry and you can look at the beautiful gardens surrounding the house for free.

How far (approx) is it from the Empress Hotel to Butchart Gardens? Trying to plan our day.

Lambs, I hope you saw my reply over on the other thread about

the Gardens:) took a city bus for 3.00...clean, nice driver, wonderful

way to see the residential areas of Victoria too!

Oh....and we have a fun thread of FLoridians over in the Floataway

Lounge....come say hello:D

just off 10/19 3 day pnw. shuttle to town is $6, then there is a bus (like the shuttle bus) that goes from opposite the empress (NOT grayline)to butchart gardens at 11:30, buy your tickets from the driver--$40 including admission to the gardens.

just off 10/19 3 day pnw. shuttle to town is $6, then there is a bus (like the shuttle bus) that goes from opposite the empress (NOT grayline)to butchart gardens at 11:30, buy your tickets from the driver--$40 including admission to the gardens.

Hi, I went on the week of the 15th:) instead of 40.00 you

can take the city bus for 3 bucks:D and entrance into the

Gardens is 21.00.

jdechter, hope you had a good time too!:)

Actually there are 2 castles in Victoria.

The one mentioned is Craigdarroch Castle built by Robert Dunsmuir - a coal baron but the other, which is west of Victorias downtown area, is called Hatley Castle & was built by his son James. The Hatley is a much larger and more imposing place with lovely grounds called Hatley Park surrounding it. Has been used as a nursing home, a military training center & I believe it is now a University.

It is available for viewing year round and is approx 20 minutes from downtown Victoria. If I had to choose just one I wld visit Hatley - the place is superb. U can even see a Japanese Tea Garden - the gardeners there do a wonderful job..

Oh yes, speaking of Gardens - do not miss Butchart if u enjoy spectacular flower displays almost any time of the year - each seasons display is so different I recommend visiting at least 4 times.

Hope this info helps..

Archived