Celebrity Suite or Sky Suite?

JeanfromBNA

We're looking at our first cruise and are considering a Celebrity suite or a Sky suite on the Millenium to Alaska.

I know my own weaknesses, and I'm a fuss-budget when it comes to hotel rooms. The size of cruise ship rooms concerns me; that's why I'm looking at suites. The Sky suites have balconies, but are less than 300 square feet. There are also more of them. The Celebrity suites are bigger, but do not have balconies, and there are few on the ship.

Has anybody booked a Celebrity suite on any ship? What about a Sky suite?

I think the Celebrity Suite is an excellent choice, especially for Alaska. You have incredible views of everything, with the huge floor to ceiling windows. And depending on when you cruise Alaska, you might love being inside your warm suite while being able to see absolutely everything while everyone else is freezing outside. You'll have a bird's eye view of the mountains, glaciers and wildlife. The CS is huge, with a great closet and dressing area in the closet, a big bathroom and super living area. If you can afford the price difference, go with the CS. BTW, we've been in 6106 CS on Summit and Millennium

I would have to agree with Tracie. We have had the CS many times. It is actually one of my favorite Suites. It is true that you don't have a balcony but I can tell you....on our Alaska cruise in May I did not spend much time outside and we really enjoyed sitting in our Living room with a glass wall and watching Hubbard Glacier from the warmth of our cabin.

You will not feel cramped at all in a CS as you have a living room, dining area with a table for 4 and a separate bedroom. The Bathroom is all marble and has a Jacuzzi style tub.

Jim

I. too, heartily recommend the CS for Alaska, Following is a description I wrote about CS 8106 on Millennium. It's part of a story about the trip, and the characters are my wife, son, and son's friend:

As you may recall, the original plan had Kris, Wells and me in the Celebrity Suite. When Dan opted in, my request to add him to the suite was denied. The official policy is that the CS accommodates 3 people. I couldn’t understand the policy at the time, and after spending a week living in the CS, I still cannot understand why. A family of ten might be tight, but any smaller group would have room to spare.

For the two of us, the space was positively decadent. The literature describes the CS as occupying 467 square feet – about the same size as our bedroom and two offices at home. You could fit both the Sky Suite from the Galaxy trip and the Cat 2 cabin from the Mercury trip inside the CS without encroaching on the bathroom space.

From the outside, the hints of a special space within are subtle. On each of four decks, the 2 CS doors are adjacent, slightly recessed into the wall amidships. A tiny metal vase affixed to the door holds a sprig of orchids. They are not fake.

CS 8106 was decorated in a classic Japanese style. The most striking components of the décor were three larger-than-life depictions of Japanese ladies lining the entry hall. On the opposite wall, mirrors doubled the number of ladies.

As pleasant as this hallway was, I could not help but note that it took up almost 10% of the available space. Try as I might, I couldn’t come up with a redesign that would reduce or eliminate the ‘waste’.

The dining area sits the end of the 10’ long hallway. A large table for four dominates the space. On one side, corner cupboards flank a large mirror. The cupboards display Japanese objects d’art in glassed upper sections, and various amenities are stored in the lower cupboards – including binoculars, umbrellas, and a set of crystal stemware (red and white wine, champagne, brandy and water glasses).

On the opposite side of this room is a marble-topped sideboard. The cupboards below hold the life jackets, the mini-bar and the safe. Although it appears to have a card reader, operation of the safe requires that you input a 6-digit number of your own making each time you open or close it.

Adjacent to the sideboard, at the end of the hallway, is a connecting door to the neighboring suite. Our neighbor was often taken to fits of coughing and odd moaning sounds that penetrated a few feet into the dining area but were otherwise unobtrusive.

The living room is big, and contains a full size couch with end tables, two comfy chairs with a footrest (which also saw duty as the computer seat) and a glass top table. Four floor-to-ceiling windows form the curving outside wall. Each window has two sets of drapes, one sheer to cut down on the sunlight while preserving the view, and the second heavy and dark. The latter could turn day into night.

The living room tends to be very bright, day or night. The windows admit a lot of light, and when the sun is shining directly in the air-conditioning can be overwhelmed.

I won’t forget the first time I flipped the wall switch for the lights in the living room. There are 16 separate fixtures wired into that switch, and they all flickered on simultaneously to produce a blindingly bright glare. The Galaxy Sky Suite had dimmers for the overhead lighting, and this accommodation sorely needs that piece of technology. The only alternative is a pair of lamps on the end tables, which have the illuminating capability of a decent night-light. It was kind of an all-or-nothing proposition.

The curving wall of glass produces a short wall opposite the main seating area. Here, a built-in cabinet houses a 42” plasma TV and a VCR. I was surprised that there was no DVD player. I actually brought a few DVD’s on the assumption that there would be a player to go along with the high caliber television. Watching a VCR tape on a big plasma TV is like listening to the symphony while wearing ear plugs. Speaking of audio, the TV sound is piped into overhead speakers above the couch, and loud sounds in the broadcast set up a sympathetic resonance in the ceiling housing.

Photos of the CS all showed a fancy wall-mounted Bang and Olufsen CD player. The unit in this cabin must have been retired and replaced with an Aiwa portable in a cupboard above the TV. At first I though it was fastened to the shelf, but once I found that it was movable I relocated it to the bedroom each night where it soothed us to sleep.

A shallow five-foot marble-topped desk unit forms a corner with the TV cabinet. The computer monitor and mouse sit on the surface, the keyboard occupies a slide-out tray and the computer is safely locked away in a cupboard below. Behind the monitor is an odd window designed to allow daylight to pass into the bathroom. Electrically operated blinds are mounted between the two layers of glass. Closed, they provide privacy. Left open, a person at the computer can watch their roommate take a shower until the window fogs up.

The bedroom is nicely sized, except for the narrow passage between the foot of the bed and another TV cabinet. This cabinet holds a second 42” plasma TV and a VCR. A low drawer unit and a lamp are positioned on either side of the bed.

The walk-in closet has a vanity with a large counter top, padded stool, extra lighting and a large mirror. Underneath are drawers, and full-length hanging space is provided at either end. Sliding doors with frosted glass separate this area from the bedroom. I plugged a fluorescent night light into an outlet on the vanity, and its blue light made the glass doors glow gently at night. Nice effect.

The marble bathroom has two sinks, a telephone and a scale. The whirlpool tub has very high sides and a showerhead oddly mounted low on the sidewall. The whirlpool was energetic, but Kris complained that it ejected debris into the water. I mentioned this to the Hotel Manager who happened to stop by for a visit within minutes of this discovery. He dispatched someone to clean the unit, but the effort was not entirely successful.

Storage throughout the room was more than ample. We put most of the bags into cupboards and still didn’t use half the available space. Even our giant suitcase fit under the bed.

All things considered I’d have to say that the Celebrity Suite is a fantastic accommodation. Relative to the other suite types, it is a bargain. The extra space easily compensated for the lack of a verandah.

The image below shows the Celebrity Suite floor plan. Measurements are approximate – I used an 8.5” x 11” piece of paper, my fingers and toes to arrive at the dimensions. The numbered arrows indicate the camera position and direction for each of the pictures appearing below the floor plan. Click any picture for a larger view.

celebrity_suite_layout.jpg

To view the pictures corresponding to the image above, please see the complete chapter from the original story on my website: http://www.chesterh.com/chapters/38.htm. Scroll down about halfway through the page.

Bon Voyage!

chesterh

We have had Royal, Celebrity and Sky suites and would say for Alaska the Celebrity suite is absolutely the best - we had one for Alaska and just loved alternating between the deck two down (when we wanted an outside view) and sitting on the chairs in the window with a drink (when we wanted to be warm) - especially at Hubbard. We have beautiful sunset pictures taken here, we often sat at the table for breakfast and we also found the inside bedroom ideal as DH wakens at first light - as it is an internal room he slept much better than he would otherwise. The closet is huge - bigger than the Royal suites.

As you are on a Millenium class ship, the balconies of the Sky Suites are not that much bigger than ordinary balconies, you need to get up to a Royal before the size is big.

I'd say as others have go for the Celebrity Suite but make sure you get one ending in 04 so as to avoid the window washing kit

A

1) Connecting door (from the story above):

Adjacent to the sideboard, at the end of the hallway, is a connecting door to the neighboring suite. Our neighbor was often taken to fits of coughing and odd moaning sounds that penetrated a few feet into the dining area but were otherwise unobtrusive.
2) Window washing thingy - The following was true of 8106, and may be true for all of the aft-most Celebrity Suites: there is an obstruction outside the aft window - a window washing mechanism that spans several decks, pictured below:

mille_8106_aft_view.jpg

mille_8106_aft_view2.jpg

Overall, the obstruction did little to diminish the view, and nothing to diminish the experience. We simply kept the aft shade down most of the time. Below is the view at St. Thomas at sunrise.

4final.jpg

All the best,

chesterh

Thanks, Chesterh...your picture of the beautiful sunrise in St.Thomas did it! I could live with the window washing machine, and hopefully can deal with any noise/smoke that may possibly come from adjoining room. (duck tape?) ha.

All your pictures are beautiful....

I have to agree with everything everyone else has said. Take the CS!!!

We had a CS on the Summit (6106) for Alaska and it was PERFECT!!!!! 6106 is the aft CS and did have the window washing equipment but after the first day or two we didn't notice it any longer. The cabin is a great size and the windows defy description. You won't care that it may be cold/raining/windy outside. You get to sit in your living room, looking out those magnificent windows, watching the indescribable beauty of Alaska float by while wearing your pj's and slippers if you wish!:p When you get to the glacier, if you choose to stay in your room, you can still hear the calving. You can even relax in your tub and see out those beautiful windows. You'll find your view on the world through those windows to be hypnotic. You'll pick up a book or magazine intending to read a little, then glance out the window, sometime later you'll come out of your 'gazing upon the world' trance, and realize you haven't read a word, but that you feel as though you've just completed a refreshing nap with the best dream ever.:)

My DH and are planning to do a Canada/New England cruise (maybe 2009?), and when we do, we'll be booking a CS. It will be perfect, just like it was in Alaska!

Happy cruising!

Denise

Actually, since the bedding, etc. has all been changed on the Millie, try this link. Since you're looking for info for CS and SS this link will get you to pictures on all the X ships for lots of different cabin types. Remember, the sister ships to the Millie are (the other M Class ships) the Infinty, Summit, and Constellation.

http://www.geocities.com/mahdnc/Cabinpix.html

Enjoy!:D

Denise

To everyone that shared their opinion and invaluable information: Thank you ever so much! Chesterh and CatServants (love the name - we are too!) thank you for the photos. It was difficult to get an idea of what the CS really looked like on the Millenium from the Celebrity website.

Good idea about the towel between the door. Never leave home without your towel! ;)

To everyone that shared their opinion and invaluable information: Thank you ever so much! Chesterh and CatServants (love the name - we are too!) thank you for the photos. It was difficult to get an idea of what the CS really looked like on the Millenium from the Celebrity website.

Good idea about the towel between the door. Never leave home without your towel! ;)

You're more than welcome for the links!:)

Never leave home without your towel....an excellent tip when traveling the Universe!;)

Happy cruising!

Denise

Right now we are booked in 9201 for a Panama Canal cruise and Celebrity is offering a great deal on Celebrity Suites. Would you guys change? To us theses are once in a lifetime rates but we do like a balcony. Need some help here?

As you can see from my earlier post on this thread, I LOVE CS......for Alaska/inclement weather. I would want a balcony for the PC, and isn't 9201 an aft cabin with a giant balcony? I think I would stay in my (giant aft) balcony for a PC crossing. What ever you decide, I hope you have a WONDERFUL cruise!:)

Happy cruising!

Denise

Right now we are booked in 9201 for a Panama Canal cruise and Celebrity is offering a great deal on Celebrity Suites. Would you guys change? To us theses are once in a lifetime rates but we do like a balcony. Need some help here?

I've not seen any good rates for the Celebrity Suites -

thanks

The one drawback I observed with the CS is that with all those windows, the A/C can be a bit overwhelmed in warm climes when the sun hits the glass. In these circumstances, close the shades when leaving the cabin.

chesterh

The one drawback I observed with the CS is that with all those windows, the A/C can be a bit overwhelmed in warm climes when the sun hits the glass. In these circumstances, close the shades when leaving the cabin.

chesterh

Good point, well it’s looks like I will not be changing to CS as of now all are sold.

Archived