Question on Time Zones

Irishlinny

Hi fellow cruisers! We are leaving on the Carnival Legend on 11/4...the day we turn the clocks back. Talk about confusing for figuring out the port times:confused:

I am thinking that Grand Cayman is on Eastern, while Cozumel, Belize and Roatan are on Central time. I am also thinking that they do not move their clocks ahead for Daylight Savings Time. From what I can figure, during Daylight Savings time (summer), a ship leaving from FL is an hour ahead of Cayman and 2 hours ahead of the others. But when we turn the clocks back for winter, we once again match up with Cayman's Eastern time and we are only one hours ahead of the others.

Does anyone know if I'm thinking correctly on this?:confused:

Thanks much...and happy cruising!!:D

I think you're thinking too much! Just read the ships news every night... it will tell you whether to change your clock or not. Or call Guest Relations. Or check a ship's clock in a public area. Just be sure when you leave the ship in a port that you are clear on the time the ship will sail and set your watch to match it... your cabin attendant will also be a good resource for the correct time.

Hi fellow cruisers! We are leaving on the Carnival Legend on 11/4...the day we turn the clocks back. Talk about confusing for figuring out the port times:confused:

I am thinking that Grand Cayman is on Eastern, while Cozumel, Belize and Roatan are on Central time. I am also thinking that they do not move their clocks ahead for Daylight Savings Time. From what I can figure, during Daylight Savings time (summer), a ship leaving from FL is an hour ahead of Cayman and 2 hours ahead of the others. But when we turn the clocks back for winter, we once again match up with Cayman's Eastern time and we are only one hours ahead of the others.

On our Panama Cruise in 06 the ship kept to local time . That meant time

changes as required . Sometimes move clock forward 1 hr during the nigt

and back 2 hours the next night .

Some ships will keep the same time for the whole cruise.

Meaning thst there is "Ship Time " and "Local Time"

this cause a problem for sel arranged tours.

:):)

Seriously, there are clocks on the ship ;) and you will be informed when ever you need to change time.

If you are looking to do local excursions, the operators know whether the specific ship does local time or keeps ship's time to the originating port.

My experience in about a dozen cruises, all on differant ships, is that the ship keeps local time. But that is not a guarentee.

Wow! Thanks for the quick answers! I know our ship will stick to the time we are at when we leave. But the confusion comes in when you are booking the local shore excursions thru independent operators (not thru the cruise line)...that's why I am asking....

I appreciate the feedback!:D

Hello,

Some cruise ships do change time on this itinerary to local time and some do not ( Explorer did not on our cruise in April).

Mexico ( Cozumel) changes their daylight saving time a week before we do.

On your cruise:

Nov 6, GC local time 9:00 am will be the same as Tampa's time ( and ship's time) - 9:00am

Nov 7, 8 and 9 - there will be one hour difference:

Cozumel, Belize and Roatan local time 8:00 am is the same as Tampa's ( and ship's time if they will not change it) 9:00 am

Wes

Archived