Princess or Royal Caribbean?

Mjasp

Which line do you prefer to sail Alaska, Princess or Royal Caribbean?

I am looking at Radiance of the Seas or Golden Princess or Star Princess?

Why the difference in price between the 2 Princess ships? Is it true that Princess doesn't have connecting cabins?

Thanks

Joanna

Correct...princess does not have connecting cabins.

I have never been on Royal Carribean but I have been on the Star Princess and it was great! Just a beautiful ship. And very big! We are a young couple with children. We had fun and our little girl also loved the cruise.

Kaotar

Some Princess ships have connecting cabins, but the 2 you have listed do not.

The 2 ships you listed are almost identical to each other.

I was not impressed with RCCL and Alaska (very disappointing compard to my Princess sailings). Though, the Princess Seattle sailings do not have a good route or times in port and I would have a difficult time recommending them.

Some Princess ships have connecting cabins, but the 2 you have listed do not.

The 2 ships you listed are almost identical to each other.

I was not impressed with RCCL and Alaska (very disappointing compard to my Princess sailings). Though, the Princess Seattle sailings do not have a good route or times in port and I would have a difficult time recommending them.

What route would you suggest? and is airfare that much more when you are not going to Seattle?

Correct...princess does not have connecting cabins.

I have never been on Royal Carribean but I have been on the Star Princess and it was great! Just a beautiful ship. And very big! We are a young couple with children. We had fun and our little girl also loved the cruise.

Kaotar

Glad to hear it...We will be travelling with a 12 and 16 yr old

I have sailed both lines to Alaska, each more than once. Perhaps look at the itineraries, Princess has a lacking one, round trip Seattle, in my opinion. IF RCI goes to Hubbard Glacier, that would be a better choice, if you want glacier viewing. But Personal Choice dining in Alaska is excellent.

My opinion- I wouldn't choose either, for my priorities, determine what yours are??

I have sailed both lines to Alaska, each more than once. Perhaps look at the itineraries, Princess has a lacking one, round trip Seattle, in my opinion. IF RCI goes to Hubbard Glacier, that would be a better choice, if you want glacier viewing. But Personal Choice dining in Alaska is excellent.

My opinion- I wouldn't choose either, for my priorities, determine what yours are??

I really don't know what my priorities are itinerary wise, as I have never sailed Alaska, it is all so new. My choices for August 2008 was not to go back to the caribbean. So it is either New England/Canada or Alaska.

Everyone who has gone to Alaska LOVES it, I've never heard bad. I am worried it may be boring. Is it just sightseeing, glaciers?

I've been on all, Princess doesn't have connecting rooms however if you book balconies next to each other you can take down partician and its great one big balcony :) I love Princess just because its better service. Royal Carribean is more fun though. They have lots to do on board and around the pool. Service is "royally" lacking.

Everyone who has gone to Alaska LOVES it, I've never heard bad. I am worried it may be boring. Is it just sightseeing, glaciers?

JUST sightseeing, glaciers???? The answer is "mostly, yes." What is it you want? The day I get bored with Alaska is the day I want someone to shoot me.

JUST sightseeing, glaciers???? The answer is "mostly, yes." What is it you want? The day I get bored with Alaska is the day I want someone to shoot me.

ROTFL with your answer...Hmmm, I guess Alaska isn't boring. Thanks for your honesty.

You're looking at a one-way criuise on Radiance, and a roundtrip cruise on Star/Golden Princess. Of those choices, I think Radiance has the better itinerary.

Though if she is going one way anyway - they should look at Princess (Diamond/Sapphire/Coral/Island) with 2 glaciers.

I've been on all, Princess doesn't have connecting rooms however if you book balconies next to each other you can take down partician and its great one big balcony :)

Diamond, Sapphire, Coral and Island do have connecting rooms.

MJasp

I'd go with RCCL based on the ages of your kids - (royal carib can't be beat for their teen programs..) - also, go for whichever routes on the inside of Vancouver island for a much more scenic/calm trip.

Yeah, I think RCCL is the line we should do. But the sad thing is, I know NOTHING about Alaska. I have a lot of research ahead of me before I book.

Why is the water rough on Alaska cruises?

Yeah, I think RCCL is the line we should do. But the sad thing is, I know NOTHING about Alaska. I have a lot of research ahead of me before I book.

Why is the water rough on Alaska cruises?

I have sailed both RCCL and Princess and Princess is way better in Alaska. Princess has naturalists on each line. If you know little about Alaska - the naturalists are so good at explaining what you are seeing (if it be glaicers, or wild life or spottings of wild like). Princess also brings guest speakers onboard in many ports. For example, Libby Riddles (first female to win the iditarod) comes onboard on every ship that docks in Juneau. She is a phenominal speaker. Princess also has anytime dining - this is perfect for when you want to be in port late or you are watching scenery and don't want to rush to dinner. Princess also has 2 glaciers on their one way sailings (RCCL has one and if you miss it, you miss your glacier experience which happened to us and happened a lot this year). Do comparisons - we had much better times in port with Princess (with RCCL, we arrived in Juneau at 1 pm) and had better dock places (with RCCL we tendered in Juneau - Princess has a dedicated dock). Princess really was significantly better than RCCL in Alaska. RCCL went to the ports and that was it - their only Alaska lesson was on "shopping".

Water can either be smooth or rough in Alaska. I have had it both ways.

As far as time on ship - you really don't spend as much time on the ship like you do in the Caribbean. You will have your glacier days but otherwise, Alaska is all about the ports and there is so much to do in the ports.

Thank You so much for you opinion. I appreciate hearing what everyone has to say. I'm glad to hear there is a lot to do in the ports.

I need something different, the caribbean is great BUT its time for a change.

Do they let the kids use the pool that is enclosed? Or is for adults only?

Do they let the kids use the pool that is enclosed? Or is for adults only?

The enclosed pool on all of Princess ships is for kids and adults.

On RCCL - the solarium supposedly is open for kids but it is very minimal time wise on our sailing.

Archived