Tell me about the Fitness Center

btobey

I hope to use the Fitness Center on our next cruise more than I did the last time.:rolleyes: Tell me about fitness on Holland, especially Amsterdam. What types of equipment is available? What types of classes are offered, and if you tried any, how were they? Are any of the classes free?

On a related note, are there DVD players in the cabins? If so, I can bring some of my exercise videos from home!

I can speak about the Westerdam, which should have somewhat similar equipment as the Amsterdam (even though different class of ships). The Westerdam had elliptical machines (maybe 4?), as well as treadmills, and stationary bikes. There was also free weights and some weight machines. If you like spinning, there is a charge (around $12 per class), same with Pilates. On our last cruise, you could buy a package of the classes, which is a decent deal if you plan on attending the classes enough. The free classes were aerobics and an abs class. There was also Yoga, but I can't remember if that was a pay class or not.

I think it depends on the type of room you have regarding whether or not there are DVD players. I wouldn't think anything but a SY or higher grade cabin would be enough room for a workout, but those cabins do have DVD players.

I hope to use the Fitness Center on our next cruise more than I did the last time.:rolleyes: Tell me about fitness on Holland, especially Amsterdam. What types of equipment is available? What types of classes are offered, and if you tried any, how were they? Are any of the classes free?

On a related note, are there DVD players in the cabins? If so, I can bring some of my exercise videos from home!

What Drew358 said about the fitness center on the Westerdam was very similar on the Amsterdam.

I think there was a DVD player in our outside cabin on the Lower Promenade deck; there was too much to do and we did not spend enough time in the cabin to really take notice of that. :eek:

According to the Deck Plans on the HAL website:

"All staterooms are equipped with DVD player, flat-panel television, telephone and multi-channel music."

What Drew358 said about the fitness center on the Westerdam was very similar on the Amsterdam.

I think there was a DVD player in our outside cabin on the Lower Promenade deck; there was too much to do and we did not spend enough time in the cabin to really take notice of that. :eek:

According to the Deck Plans on the HAL website:

"All staterooms are equipped with DVD player, flat-panel television, telephone and multi-channel music."

As for exercising in the cabin - I hope you have a big one. And think of the people trying to take a nap below you. :D

Well, if I did decide to exercise in the cabin, I have around 80 exercise DVDs, so I'm sure I could find some in my collection that would work in a small space and wouldn't disturb my neighbors.

Any more about the fitness center? It doesn't sound like anyone who has posted so far has actually taken classes there.

We went once to the fitness center several cruises ago and just looked. I was given the impression that we either had to pay or weren't welcome. We received the "thank you for leaving" type of look when we left. I'm not sure if we really weren't supposed to be there or if it was Jemima jr. who looks much younger than she is.

Yoga is a pay class, and when I travel I bring an exercise video to use with bands (also easy to pack) No jumping around involved--it's a strengthening video, not cardio.....

See, I told you on the other thread that we are alike! :D I do yoga too, so I might bring a yoga DVD. I did take a yoga class for $10 on our last cruise, but it wasn't very good; I don't think I'd want to pay for a yoga or Pilates class unless they were taught by specially trained teachers in those disciplines, not just a general fitness instructor. I could see taking something like a kickboxing class though if they offer it.

I agree regarding the Yoga classes. They were taught by general fitness instructors and would have been OK if you wanted an intro and had no idea of what yoga was about but if you did yoga on a regular basis the classes were a waste of money. On my last cruise I would just go to the gym when no other classes were being offered and do my own thing. (The mats are out where anyone can use them)

I agree regarding the Yoga classes. They were taught by general fitness instructors and would have been OK if you wanted an intro and had no idea of what yoga was about but if you did yoga on a regular basis the classes were a waste of money.

Exactly--nice if maybe you just want to try yoga, but not really for someone who is experienced.

On the other hand, I heard that some HAL ships actually have Pilates reformers? I've taken Pilates mat classes but have never done an reformer work--that's something I would definitely pay to try (assuming that it was taught by someone who knows what they are doing).

On the other hand, I heard that some HAL ships actually have Pilates reformers? I've taken Pilates mat classes but have never done an reformer work--that's something I would definitely pay to try (assuming that it was taught by someone who knows what they are doing).

I didn't see a reformer on Maasdam--maybe on the bigger ships?

The fitness center on the R-class ships (like the Amsterdam) is nice. I don't have any photos of the Gym on an R-class ship since the reconfiguration of that area, but will be on an R-class ship in just 2 weeks and will be doing a new photographic spread on the ship that will be posted to this website when I get home. So ... if you can wait until mid-November, you'll be able to see pictures. :)

My photos from the Ryndam (an S-class ship) include photos of the fitness center, so if you want to look at them you can find the gallery here:

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/ryndam2007/PhotoAlbum204.html

I usually use the gym for its weight equipment. I prefer to do my walking on the lower promenade deck and not on the treadmills (unless the seas are high or the weather particularly harsh). Once I finish my 3 miles, however, I'll go up to the fitness center and work out several muscle-groups on the machines. It makes for a good, solid work-out. And the scenery beats anything one can see in my gym on land!

I used the fitness centers regularly on the Maasdam in October 2006 (Caribbean) and Zaandam in July 2007 (Alaska). Many treadmills and bikes, a few ellipticals (cross trainers) -- which are my favorite. Fantastic views during workouts. TV monitors on the machines, with headphone attachments. Don't remember if headphones were provided -- I never used them. Full set of weight machines too. Never a wait, although fairly busy mornings on sea days. Didn't take any classes, although brother and SIL signed up for and used yoga and spinning several times during cruise.

Many times in the fitness center were just passing through to the tiny bit of deck just aft of the bridge overhang on the port side. The best place on the ship to be when leaving port -- I got to watch the captain and pilot maneuver the ship and see the port slowly move away. Even managed to take some great pictures looking forward through the bridge windows of the captain on the bridge and the view forward.

My wife does all of the free classes that are offered. To her, the pay classes aren't worth it, except for a spin class, but she doesn't really care for spin. The free classes are generally taught by the same people that teach the pay classes.

My wife does all of the free classes that are offered. To her, the pay classes aren't worth it, except for a spin class, but she doesn't really care for spin. The free classes are generally taught by the same people that teach the pay classes.

• 3 months later...

Archived