Pub Crawls (or similar activities)

jamiepet

Hello-

Our small group just finalized plans for cruising on the Oosterdam (Jan 5 Mexico cruise). We have 4 people who are in their late 20s to early 30s and I was wondering if anyone knows if Holland America tends to do pub crawls or similar activities that get the younger adults introduced to each other early in the cruise. I've only cruised once before on NCL-they did this and it was great. If anyone knows of any activities like this that we should keep an eye out for I would love to know.

Thanks!

Although HAL wants you to spend money in the lounges they do not emphasize drinking as the main part of activities---and a pub crawl focuses on drinking.

HAL has solo get-togethers so passengers who are single, or traveling without their partner, can meet. This may very well be in a lounge. :)

As you make your way around the ship you will find the place where people with similar interests tend to hang out. That's the place you want to be.

Even without a pub crawl, you will find the other young people b/c they'll probably be doing a lot of the same things your group will be doing.

People on cruises are generally pretty friendly, so it won't be hard to chat up other 20-somethings while sunning by the pool or hanging out in one of the clubs.

Thanks for all the quick responses. Looks like we'll just have to meet people the old-fashioned way and introduce ourselves as we make our way around the ship ;)

Just for clarification - events wouldn't need to be pub related in any way. If there was a shuffleboard contest for 30-somethings we'd be there in a minute :D

People seem to be very active and helpful on these boards. I'll definitely come back with other questions.

HAL does Pub Crawls as excursions (for example on our stop in Victoria next May). I haven't heard of Pub Crawls as an onboard event, or as a meet/greet type situation.

I think Pub Crawls are a sort of western european event (including European oriented communities, like the Pub Crawls I did in Tasmania and Melbourne), so not sure it would be a Mexican Rivera type excursion. I have not seen Pub Crawls on the Mexican Rivera on our three Mexican cruises.

jamiepet-

On the Ryndam in May there was a get together for people in their 20's and 30's the first night. I didn't see it in the program but luckily I was in the right place at the right time. This was the only time in 3 cruises with HAL that I have seen that offered (or maybe I just missed it other times). It is up to the activities staff onboard whether or not you'll have anything like that. So keep your eye on the daily program and ask the activities staff, they might even plan something if you/enough people express interest.

Ahoy!

HAL has a 'Lido Crawl' (standing in line) during the posted breakfast hours at times and the 'Gangway Crawl' during port disembarkation but no 'Pub Crawl' that I'm aware of.

However, the lounge servers will assist you back to your room after midnight if you attempt to 'crawl' back to your stateroom from the Crow's Nest. CC'ers certainly done codone this sort of activity.

Hope this helps.

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

My DW and I do one of our own on every ship. When people ask what we are up to that day (usually the waitstaff) they love the idea. A good idea would be to organize one. When you meet up with people who you think would be into it just invite them along. We usually do our on the next to last sea day. Tell them a time & place and have them spread the word. Tell everyone you meet about it, I bet a bunch will be there with their drinkin shoes on. I'd do one w/ you guys if only we were going:( I know you asked about other activities too but drinking is my only activity:)

Archived