Juneau to Skagway via Alaska Marine Highwayay

milolii

Loved our AK cruise this past summer. Howver, really want to spend more times in the ports...........

I am trying to put together an iternery using Alaskan Air to visit the Ketichican, Juneau, Glacier Bay. Skagway is my outlier.

I am trying to find the July 2008 Alaskan Marine Highway schedules from Juneau to Skagway RT. I think I see the Fairweather does that route. Does anyone know if it operates daily in the summer? I want to go up on 07/03 and return on 07/05/08. 4th of July in Skagway sounds like great fun!

Thanks for any help.

Usually the schedule follows the previous year's; it has for the past few years. The Fairweather goes to Sitka two days and week and Skagway/Haines the rest of the week. But even if you have to take an older, slower ferry, they have a certain charm and dignity (and better food).

I'd recommend flying one direction, though, because it's a cheap tour of the Juneau Ice Fields as well and gaining you some ground touring time. There's a couple of small plane carriers; you can find them on the Skagway website.

A word of caution, however. Don't book a Skagway flight too closely to something important--like your return home flight. Fog over the glaciers can delay flights for hours. This happened to a friend and I when we had a flight to CA the next morning, and we were sweating until the last flight of the day got out of Skagway.

The ferries also require more time. I would spend 3 days in Skagway if you don't fly one direction since this essentially is part of 2 days in transit.

I have a good friend who has done the Alaska Ferry several times inside passage. His trips are always twice as long as a cruise and way more costly, but he's had some fantastic times staying overnights in Inside Passage cities. Sounds like a great option.

tee_ harbor, Budget Queen

Thanks so much for your input. I will consider the flight one way from Juneau to Skagway.

I have already researched Alaskan Air and right now can get tranfers from all the three other ports (Ketichican, Juneau, Glacier Bay) covered for a good deal (from CA). I am not taking the ferry the whole way, but just maybe from Juneau to Skagway and back(fast ferry or charmingly slow) and would enjoy it for a day.

Thanks for the suggestion about the flight home. I will avoid that.

Do you have suggestions for overnight accomdations in Skagway?

I loved the Skagway INN and the garden there, but DH prefers the traditional hotel room. I am looking at Sgt Preston's. What do you think?

Thanks, Mahalo.

Accommodation in Skagway can be a bit difficult because most travelers are cruisers. I've stayed in cabins out by Dyea, and Sgt. Preston's in town. That was about six years ago, and it was quite dumpy. My reaction when I walked in was, so this is where all the old motel furniture goes when others remodel. :D Paintings of big-eyed sad children, chenille bedspreads, vinyl-covered chairs. I see on the Skagway website that they've remodeled, thank goodness. (To the '80's?)

So that pretty much leaves the Westmark as the 'real' hotel. It's walking distance from the dock, and where the Avis rental office is.

Since you've got the time, I'd suggest driving on to Whitehorse if you're going do the drive up the highway anyway. There's a wonderful prehistoric history museum--many fossils are found in the Yukon, plus some of my favorite artisan craft shopping. Besides, things may be closed in Skagway on the 4th because of the holiday. After the parade, the town may close down.

Since you've got the time, I'd suggest driving on to Whitehorse if you're going do the drive up the highway anyway. There's a wonderful prehistoric history museum--many fossils are found in the Yukon, plus some of my favorite artisan craft shopping. Besides, things may be closed in Skagway on the 4th because of the holiday. After the parade, the town may close down.

How long would it take to drive from Skagway to Whitehorse? We are planning on renting a car for the day, as we did the train the last time we were there. If Whitehorse is too far for a one day round trip, how far do you think we could go in around 8 hours (ship is there from 7-8:30). What stops would be best?

How long would it take to drive from Skagway to Whitehorse? We are planning on renting a car for the day, as we did the train the last time we were there. If Whitehorse is too far for a one day round trip, how far do you think we could go in around 8 hours (ship is there from 7-8:30). What stops would be best?

It's about 40 miles from Emerald Lake to Whitehorse. But perfectly boring ride, no scenery, trees and more trees, nothing like the 75 miles Skagway/Carcross.

I've gone to Whitehorse several times, Harley shop there. :) It does have some attractions, but many take more time then you have.

I'm afraid I don't have my Milepost with me to check the highway log, and I've done Skagway to Whitehorse as a day drive, but I don't know if I'd be comfortable doing that knowing I *had* to be back at a specific time. However, 10 hours is enough time if you feel comfortable.

Things to do along the way: I love stopping in Carcross and sitting in the sand by Lake Bennett, flipping pieces of driftwood into the water. There's a ghost roadhouse, I think the remains of an old town called Robinson, that's marked off the highway. Very photogenic, and I try to imagine spending long cold winters crammed into that building with my livestock and a bunch of smelly gold miners. :D There's the world's tiniest desert. The landscape changes as it flattens out to a high plateau and can seem boring, but I've been able to hit 100 mph in my '90 Subaru, so that makes the miles pass quickly! And the time the mamma moose and two calves ran across the highway, things really got exciting!

I looked at the Sgt Preston's Motel website, and although it mentioned updating, there were no photos of the rooms. The guest testimonies said it was 'nice.' I certainly didn't find it dirty or unsafe feeling, just not stylish. You see that all over AK, and once you see the cost of shipping, it makes sense.

There are a couple of B&Bs in town, but perhaps your husband doesn't like that 'cosy' experience? (Frankly, I can't stand having to be cheerful and conversational at breakfast with strangers myself.)

The 4th in Juneau starts on the 3rd, with the first round of soap box derby in Douglas and the fireworks that night. (Might be tough if you're not a night owl. Usually don't start until around midnight when it's dark enough.) The Juneau parade is in the morning, then most of the floats and marchers head over to Douglas and we do it all over again! There's a BBQ, sand castle making, and all sort of activities at Sandy Beach. The soap box derby also finishes up. Skagway's parade looks like a lot of fun too, even more small town.

Archived