Self Debarkation

OK, I have only ever done early morning self debarkation. Is it possible to do self debarkation but do it later. I don't want to put my bag in that mess, and I will only have a backpack and a carry on sized rolling suitcase anyways.

Sure hope this is easier than it sounds. I know I am going to watch for some kind of bright stripes to put on bag. I did have a strap that came with an old set that was rainbow, may have to find new ones like that. Or do the ribbons work.

It's not really that different than getting your luggage at the airport, except many ports do not use the carousels. Everything is just lined up in groups on the floor.

BTW, ribbons work great. The brighter and more obnoxious, the better. I tie one on each handle, makes it more visible.

Don't worry and have fun!

Sure hope this is easier than it sounds. I know I am going to watch for some kind of bright stripes to put on bag. I did have a strap that came with an old set that was rainbow, may have to find new ones like that. Or do the ribbons work.

Actually it is not that bad. It can just sometimes be time consuming. And since we have a long drive home we like the quicker exit of self debarkation.

The last time we used the ribbons it worked fine. I had a shocking pick ribbon that I tied in double bow and put on the luggage handles. You will see the big 4 or 5 inch large colorful luggage ID tags. Some people will make yarn pompoms. I have seen the colored straps that you described. Just anything that will let you spot your luggage from the masses. One time I even saw some beanie babies tied to luggage handles. :D

OK, I have only ever done early morning self debarkation. Is it possible to do self debarkation but do it later. I don't want to put my bag in that mess, and I will only have a backpack and a carry on sized rolling suitcase anyways.

I was thinking the same thing. My flight doesn't leave FLL until late afternoon, so I am in no hurry to get off the ship, but I also don't want to have my bags in that mess.

Can I get a coloured tag and then carry my own bags when that colour is called?

I promise it's the best cruise you will ever take! :)

I don't doubt it. But I'm having a hard time finding excursion reviews that are kid-friendly. My daughters will be 7 and 9 when we go. That's why I find really detailed trip reports like yours so helpful.

I don't doubt it. But I'm having a hard time finding excursion reviews that are kid-friendly. My daughters will be 7 and 9 when we go. That's why I find really detailed trip reports like yours so helpful.

Come post on the AK board. Lots of experienced, knowledgable people there - with kids...:D

Last cruise we had a foggy morning coming into Galvaston. Our ship was 4 hours late making landfall. There where lots of worried people and some friends we met onboard missed their flight home to Calif. The lines to get off ship where terrible. We drive (5 hours to port) so we never worry much about getting off the ship. I guess if I was flying out less than 5 hours from landfall I would carry my bags. If I fly, I stay the night before and after the cruise. Saves worries. I kind of enjoy putting the bags out the night before and letting the big guys haul them off the ship. Finding the bags can be a challange, but let it be an adventure. My hubby and I aways try to be first to find the bags. Bottom line make it fun. I hate to leave the ship, sad, I love to cruise. Make every minute fun.

Target has those colored luggage straps (in their luggage area). Last time I bought some, they were either neon green or orange- they do stick out. However, since they're becoming more popular, you might consider writing on them- my dad stencilled his initials in big block letters all along the straps- in bright red paint on the green straps- he can spot them from quite a distance. (This could really help if the ship's colored tag beaks off your bag- and the cruiseline doesn't know where to place it- they'll have a holding area for misplaced or untagged luggage.)

TIP: I use the colored straps and TWO ribbons on the handle, pick two different colors. The chances that someone else will have the same color lugg, same strap and same two color ribbons is... well you get it.

eg. My husband is a big NASCAR fan, we had b&w checkered ribbon on all of our lugg. for 4 , a few years ago when we got to airport going home and flights were a mess and we tried to swtich filghts at last min. They asked how to identify our lugg to pull it... the guy said they found them easy because of the unusual ribbon. I worry more about someone else getting my lugg. by mistake than I do finding it myself.

QUESTION: We will be doing self disembarking next month, we are staying in Miami for a few days for the LAST RACE of the season, and are going to the beach for the day. I don't care to get to the beach at 9am, is it a big deal to just walk off when you are ready? I don't want to cause a problem, but if we (2) are just walking off, why does it matter what time we go?

thanks all, ML

I have done the self debarkation twice in the past two months, once on the Enchantment in Ft Lauderdale and once on the Vision in LA. It was great, yes there is a line but not really that bad if you go to the disembarkation deck a bit early. Last week in LA we were cleared to get off the ship at 7:30am, off the ship and through customs and in a taxi to the airport at 7:45am!!! Got to LAX to stand by for a 9am flight and made it. We were able to use the elevators and it was the easiest thing, no waiting around and no searching for luggage!! I highly recommend it!

I think self-debarkation works if it is done as it is supposed to be done. By that I mean, the brochures say that you must be able to CARRY your luggage. You MUST BE ABLE TO LIFT IT. If people did that, there'd be no trouble.

Unfortunately, there are many selfish people who feel no rules apply to them. On Sunday, we saw many people with huge suitcases that they in no way could carry or even lift, waiting in lines for the elevators. There were also handicapped people who were in the line as they should be. The self-debarkers held up everything. So selfish!!!

This is another rule I wish RCI would enforce. All that is happening with the self-debarkation is that the handicapped people are waiting forever while the able bodies stuff their huge suitcases into an elevator that holds 2 people and 2 suitcases. Shame on you!!

We got off when our color was called and we were out of the port far faster than a lot of the self-debarkers. We easily spotted our luggage because of the colors we put on them. If you follow the system, it works well, but of course not everyone does.

Yep....they called "Group #'s" based on your flight out of San Juan airport. Earlier flights got Group 1 and so on.....

that said.....no one was checking airline tickets so everyone just got in line and the line snaked its way throughout the whole ship !!!! What a mess. LOTS of standing in line.

We too were not in a hurry..... 3:04 pm flight so had a leisurely breakfast in the dining room.....but the line was still horrendous - even later.

ON MY Last several cruises there has been a program offered where you pay $20 and your bags are picked up at your room and then delivered to the airline and sent to your home airport. You get your boarding passes and can walk off the ship, enjoy the port, or just go to the airport. It is a wonderful service, but only for flights after 1130 and only with certain airlines. We love it. If you consider tipping porters at the cruise line, and at the airport, it is a great deal.

Both times this year we self departed the ship, got to the airport early enough that we got much earlier flights. In fact both times almost everyone on the dining table got off first thing on their own.

We bought normal time flights and when we get there super early are able to get on the earlier flights which are less full...so it is good even for the flying pax.

<P>QUESTION: We will be doing self disembarking next month, we are staying in Miami for a few days for the LAST RACE of the season, and are going to the beach for the day. I don't care to get to the beach at 9am, is it a big deal to just walk off when you are ready? I don't want to cause a problem, but if we (2) are just walking off, why does it matter what time we go?</P>

<P> </P>

<P>thanks all, ML

</P>

<P> </P>

<P> </P>

<P>Does anyone know?</P>

<P> </P>

<P> </P>

<P>thanks</P>

The main purpose of self disembarking is for people(with luggage) to be able to leave with their luggage for early departure times. The times self embarking starts, is before the HERDS(without luggage) start to disembark. If you plan on doing self embarking after the times posted, that means you will be taking luggage, either on the elevators, or through the halls, with long lines of people with strollers, carry ons, etc. and causing havoc(since you will have luggage) and continuing through the lines of customs and immigration with your LUGGAGE, causing more congestion. I am sure the pax that have colors will not be pleased if you plan on leaving while they are. If you want to stay on with your luggage and leave at the very last call, then it shouldn't be a problem. The colored luggage also have departure plans too, and that is why they are assigned colors for departures. They don't want to be delayed with pax who choose to self embark and have luggage taking up space in lines. You may think you are the only one that wants to self embark at your convience, there are others who do it too, and the more people that continue to do this, will eventually put a damper on the CHOICE of self embarking and may eliminate the whole program!

The main purpose of self disembarking is for people(with luggage) to be able to leave with their luggage for early departure times. The times self embarking starts, is before the HERDS(without luggage) start to disembark. If you plan on doing self embarking after the times posted, that means you will be taking luggage, either on the elevators, or through the halls, with long lines of people with strollers, carry ons, etc. and causing havoc(since you will have luggage) and continuing through the lines of customs and immigration with your LUGGAGE, causing more congestion. I am sure the pax that have colors will not be pleased if you plan on leaving while they are. If you want to stay on with your luggage and leave at the very last call, then it shouldn't be a problem. The colored luggage also have departure plans too, and that is why they are assigned colors for departures. They don't want to be delayed with pax who choose to self embark and have luggage taking up space in lines. You may think you are the only one that wants to self embark at your convience, there are others who do it too, and the more people that continue to do this, will eventually put a damper on the CHOICE of self embarking and may eliminate the whole program!

I don't understand this comment. I always self-disembark, but if you don't do they actually let you go through customs WITHOUT your luggage? Doesn't everybody have to get their luggage before waiting in the customs line?

I don't understand this comment. I always self-disembark, but if you don't do they actually let you go through customs WITHOUT your luggage? Doesn't everybody have to get their luggage before waiting in the customs line?

I think she means the immigration line. A lot of people will use customs and immigration interchangeably.

Archived