Interesting about Cruise Ship Doctors

But travel insurance doesn't only cover medical and/or evacs. It also tends to cover things like trip cancellations due to death in the family, house fire, or other tragic and unforseen event. If you lose luggage, often it is covered or at least a portion. Delayed flights that cause you to miss the boat are covered.

So yes, check all your coverages, but don't think you don't need travel insurance if your medical insurance covers you.

I was responding to the "everybody should buy travel insurance" post, and I gather that you're onboard with the idea that not everybody needs it. :)

I'm not trying to sound ugly here (so don't flame me), but it seems like a lot of you have been mislead about what travel insurance is and isn't. Please google: travel insurance information and educate yourselves about it before deciding you don't need it. I would hate for something to happen to any of my fellow cruisers and then have you find out later that it could have been taken care of if you had had the insurance.

I know what travel insurance covers, thanks (not a flame, just a sarcastic jab;) ). In all the years I travelled by land and air, I never even thought of purchasing it before I started cruising, and I frankly wish we had never done so for the first couple of years that we cruised. We're already ahead about $2500 since we stopped buying it, so that's my "cancellation kitty," as it were. That will cover all but the most expensive cruise I might want to take.

If I could find a policy that didn't include medical AND includes "cancel for any reason," I might, MIGHT consider it, but so far haven't had any luck doing so.

As we veer wildly off the original topic:rolleyes: , our dog went down with a ruptured disc that left her paralyzed a week before our last cruise. If we had purchased insurance, we might actually have cancelled the cruise. And I would have been really pissed off for the entire two weeks. We used to take the cruise line coverages because at our ages (mid-50s) it worked out to be more economical, and that would have fallen into the "any reason" even though WE think of her as a member of the family. She spent those two weeks at the vet's recovered nicely except for one leg, gained a fan club of staff members, paid for a semester of college for one of the vet's kids and is back home. And yes, we do have medical insurance on her, LOL, so some of that expense is covered.

OK, back to our regularly scheduled programming!:D

In Aug 2005 we were on the Summit with 2 other couples - One of them first night out had a severe problem caused by an rather large prostate - ok so he couldn;t pee. Went to theinfirmary three times and they tried to catherize him but could not. The suggested he go to Juneau Hospital the next day and if they couldn't help hewould either need surgery or have to fly home.

Fortunately Jueau had the right catheter and was able to do the procedure.

My friend returned to the ship andother than he couldn;t swim because of the bag he was fine - Doctor checked up in him every day and made sure he had antibiotics.

Both friends are married to nurses and they indicated that his care was superb and the facilities were very modern - two doctors - one from South Africa.

The bill was $1895 - Now my friend's insurance plan at work balked at the bill because hospital visit was not pre certed - Have no idea as to what that bill was. He charged the 1895 on his credit card and submitted to travelX - 3 weeks later he had a check for $1895 - even though it was a pre-existing condition and never saw the hospital bill - he assumes travelx paid it directly

I think most of my fellow cruisers on this thread are very educated about what travel insurance is and isn't. If you don't have good medical coverage to cover a major emergency then one good reason for travel insurance would be to get that coverage.

jc

Many may all ready be aware of this but thought I would pass it along. Most medical insurance companies will only pay "reasonable and customary" fees so you may end up paying the difference. For some procedures this could be a significant amount for others not so much.

Many may all ready be aware of this but thought I would pass it along. Most medical insurance companies will only pay "reasonable and customary" fees so you may end up paying the difference. For some procedures this could be a significant amount for others not so much.

And sometimes the insurance companies find legal wiggle room and do not pay all the expected bills either.

There are no gaurantees in this life.;)

jc

the number that seems to keep popping up around the boards is $20,000 base. i dont know this for am fact, but it is the popular answer.

I am covered for it now, so I won't have to worry. Hopefully we won't need to.

the number that seems to keep popping up around the boards is $20,000 base. i dont know this for am fact, but it is the popular answer.

Although if it is the U.S. Coast Guard it is a lot less as they do not charge, so only non Coast Guard personnel involved would be charging in that situation.

WOW--what a hot topic. It is a personal choice. I am bargin Betty - I never buy extended warranties, or anything like that. But - I did buy trip insurance for our upcoming Mariner trip through insuremytrip. It was $110 total for our family of four. It is primary coverage, and it is worth the $110 to know if Denver International is closed on Dec. 15th (a day early of our cruise - it was closed last year in Dec.) and I am stuck, medical evac's, or my one of our eldery parents die, ETC. I am covered. It is peace of mind for $$ that some may consider a cheap day in their bar tab.

I am as happy about spending that money as I am about saving $$ most of the other times that I do. To each their own - no convincing necessary :)

WOW--what a hot topic. It is a personal choice. I am bargin Betty - I never buy extended warranties, or anything like that. But - I did buy trip insurance for our upcoming Mariner trip through insuremytrip. It was $110 total for our family of four. It is primary coverage, and it is worth the $110 to know if Denver International is closed on Dec. 15th (a day early of our cruise - it was closed last year in Dec.) and I am stuck, medical evac's, or my one of our eldery parents die, ETC. I am covered. It is peace of mind for $$ that some may consider a cheap day in their bar tab.

I am as happy about spending that money as I am about saving $$ most of the other times that I do. To each their own - no convincing necessary :)

$110.00 is cheap, it would have cost me almost $500.00 to insure my family with trip interuption and medical insurance. That is why I hemmed and hawed. By the time I really felt I needed it it was to late for the trip interuption. But this medical deal with Amex is very well worth it.

People are talking two separate issues here.

First, it is not by accident that cruise lines use independent contractors rather than hiring the physicians themselves. It is more a DUH! Of course they want to distance themselves from any legal liabilities.

Second, the fact that the onboard physician is an independent contractor has nothing to do with his/her skills as a physician. To talk about third world medicine is just silly. You will find good physicians onboard a ship. And you will find marginal physicians onboard a ship - just as you will find both good and marginal physicians on land.

Third, the medical facilities onboard a ship do not pretend to be equivalent to a hospital. They are an Urgent Care Center, maybe , at best - something to meet the needs in minor situations and provide interim care until the patient can be transported (in more serious situations).

I dont agree with your thoughts on the third world country statement. Medical licenses can be given in these countries - and there is no way of knowing where your doctor on the ship got his license from before hand. As a medical professional - I bring everything I think I may need - any records for something that may be going on presently - and copies of all my prescriptions.

I've seen places here in the US that I may be thought of as a "third world country" in medical practices ... and many doctors that went to school in Mexico - that dont know the same practice as those who studied here, I am not about to take a chance with a doctor I dont have a choice about using or one that I can not research on my own ahead of time ...

It is funny you say that. Feb we went on the Adventure and never thought twice about cruise insurance.........then one day you wake up and bammmmmm since April, we are in our 40's I had stents, my daughter tore her ACL, my husband dislocated his shoulder twice, she had Acl surgery he had Shoulder surgery and then a heart attack. We were the most healthy family before that. I have now determined anything could happen at any time. I have been told the cost just to airlift is astronomical. I don't want to get stuck. It could happen to anyone.

Accidents do happen... I accidently had brain surgery when I was 35. Silly tumor;)

Glad I wasn't on a cruise...

Accidents do happen... I accidently had brain surgery when I was 35. Silly tumor;)

Glad I wasn't on a cruise...

Your right, unfortunatly it takes a accident to reallize that. We have never had to be in a hospital for anything other then my husband had his tonsils out when he was a kid. Mid to upper 40's and all in 6 months this happens. Like I said you don't think it could ever happen to you.

I hope everyone buys travel insurance. Accidents happen.

This is where I get a bit confused. I have travel insurance but it requires the doctor on the ship to make the determination that I need to be airlifted or otherwise removed from the ship. If the ship's doctor is mis-diagnosing me (as one of the guys in the WSJ's article was, the doctors saying it was indigestion) what good is the insurance?

Sorry i hope you do not mind me saying but your philosophy is not sound. My father was 68, in good health, no known medical problems. I was chatting to him at Harvest Festival, ten minutes later he was dead. Died suddenly, no warning, burst aorta. You never know what is around the corner, live everyday as if it was your last.

This is where I get a bit confused. I have travel insurance but it requires the doctor on the ship to make the determination that I need to be airlifted or otherwise removed from the ship. If the ship's doctor is mis-diagnosing me (as one of the guys in the WSJ's article was, the doctors saying it was indigestion) what good is the insurance?

I imagine if it turns out to have been a bona fide emergency you would be covered regardless of the ship doctor's initial diagnosis. At least I would hope so!

live everyday as if it was your last.
\

I dunno about that; I tried that this past Saturday night and had a massive hangover all day Sunday. Plus if I had that philosophy I'd be too tempted to fly to Vegas, splurge for a penthouse suite in the Wynn and go crazy in the poker room.

Sorry i hope you do not mind me saying but your philosophy is not sound. My father was 68, in good health, no known medical problems. I was chatting to him at Harvest Festival, ten minutes later he was dead. Died suddenly, no warning, burst aorta. You never know what is around the corner, live everyday as if it was your last.

Who were you referring this post to?

I dont agree with your thoughts on the third world country statement. Medical licenses can be given in these countries - and there is no way of knowing where your doctor on the ship got his license from before hand. As a medical professional - I bring everything I think I may need - any records for something that may be going on presently - and copies of all my prescriptions.

I've seen places here in the US that I may be thought of as a "third world country" in medical practices ... and many doctors that went to school in Mexico - that dont know the same practice as those who studied here, I am not about to take a chance with a doctor I dont have a choice about using or one that I can not research on my own ahead of time ...

My point is that it is silly to make the immediate correlation that because someone went to medical school outside of the US that we are automatically talking "third world medicine".

I have seen - on more than one occasion - a "third world" surgeon save a US educated surgeon's butt in the OR. These "third world" surgeons will work in the US as surgical assistants if they cannot afford to get training in the States for their US license. And I have seen more than one who I would "take a chance with" over the US surgeon...... :)

There are good and bad physicians trained outside of the US. And there are good and bad physicians trained in the US......

First, it is not by accident that cruise lines use independent contractors rather than hiring the physicians themselves. It is more a DUH! Of course they want to distance themselves from any legal liabilities.

In several states there are laws that generally disallow corporate entities from employing physicians to practice medicine. I can't recall Florida laws on such a situation, but in Texas it would not be allowed by law. There are selective exceptions generally where physicians own the legal entity that employes them.

I imagine if it turns out to have been a bona fide emergency you would be covered regardless of the ship doctor's initial diagnosis. At least I would hope so!

I hope so, too. I realize that there are no guarantees in life and travel especially can be a gamble. I guess I believed if I sailed on a "brand name" (for lack of a better word) cruise line that represented it has competent medical people AND I purchased travel insurance, I would be o.k. if an accident happened. Why I thought that beats me, I've gotten incompetent medical care here with my regular insurance! :rolleyes:

Thanks to the original poster for sharing and making me aware. And thanks Gonzo70 for your response, too!

What scary is:

Most doctors on cruise ships are from foreign countries and got their degrees from the country they come from. They are not only independent contractors but the majoritiy of them aren't even licensed or sanctioned by the AMA.

:eek: WOW! I'm not even going to mention what I think of that comment.

I'm almost certain that in all my years of annual physicals and treatments for injuries and medical problems, I have never been treated by a doctor educated in the U.S., nor licensed or sanctioned by the AMA. Guess what? I'm still alive, healthy, and I have never had to complain to a medical board nor sue a doctor or other healthcare professional. Unbelievable!

Archived