Iced coffee?

cnvh

Anyone know if it's possible to get a decent iced coffee onboard the Noordam? Or would I be better off bringing a plastic "water bottle"-type thingie and making up some coffee from the Lido to put in our cabin fridge for later (and then pour over ice when it's cool)?

In the summer, I pretty much survive on iced coffee... and since we'll be in the Caribbean (where it's hot), I'd love to be able to have my daily fix of iced java...

We sail in less than a week-- woohoo!

The iced coffee in the Explorations Cafe, adjacent to the library, is quite good and available in several versions. There is also available a coffee card. On the 10 day cruise we just finished, the card was for 10 coffees of your choice, anything on the extensive menu, for $26.00. The card may be purchased at the coffee counter.

Have fun!

Simple answer from a simple mind! Get yourself a cup of Joe from the Lido and dump about 15-20 ice cubes in that puppy. Let it sit for 5-1o minutes and voila, iced coffee for gratis

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

Have a great cruise!;)

I have found that some of the refrigerators don;t keep water as cool as I like it.
Because of their design, none of the "refrigerators" can cool things more than about 25 degrees (F) below room temperature.

Dumping ice straight into hot coffee waters it down too much, IMO... But as long as it's cool-ish before the ice hits it, it's not so bad-- I'm not SUPER-fussy about it, but I like what I like... :)

So, the coffee card for $26... how big of an iced coffee are we talking? If it's a decent size-- like 16 oz. or more-- then that would probably be feasible. If it's a tiny little thing, then I'll probably make my own.

Anyone know if it's possible to get a decent iced coffee onboard the Noordam? Or would I be better off ... making up some coffee from the Lido to put in our cabin fridge for later (and then pour over ice when it's cool)?....

Simple answer from a simple mind! Get yourself a cup of Joe from the Lido and dump about 15-20 ice cubes in that puppy. Let it sit for 5-1o minutes and voila, iced coffee for gratis...

Copper, the problem with your method, at least for those of us who like our iced coffee strong, is that the coffee gets diluted by the melting ice.

I have found that some of the refrigerators don;t keep water as cool as I like it.

KK, even if the cabin fridge doesn't get the water (or coffee) cool enough to drink on its own, it will probably get it cool enough to pour over ice with less dilution.

So, to the OP, putting all of the above together, the bottom line is that if you don't want to pay for the lovely iced coffee drinks at the Explorations Cafe, you may want to bring a container in which you can cool your Lido coffee in your cabin fridge. But it won't get cool enough to drink straight - you'll still need ice. Which your cabin steward can provide, of course.

Best wishes from a fellow iced coffee drinker. Enjoy!

Copper, the problem with your method, at least for those of us who like our iced coffee strong, is that the coffee gets diluted by the melting ice.

KK, even if the cabin fridge doesn't get the water (or coffee) cool enough to drink on its own, it will probably get it cool enough to pour over ice with less dilution.

So, to the OP, putting all of the above together, the bottom line is that if you don't want to pay for the lovely iced coffee drinks at the Explorations Cafe, you may want to bring a container in which you can cool your Lido coffee in your cabin fridge. But it won't get cool enough to drink straight - you'll still need ice. Which your cabin steward can provide, of course.

Best wishes from a fellow iced coffee drinker. Enjoy!

See, you catch the cubes in a strainer and design a intricate drainage system to allow the excess water run off to be caught in a back-up cup, we call that a "buck" down here. Recycle the content from the buck and utilize same to either quench your thirst and/or water the little plants on the Lido tables

Dumping ice straight into hot coffee waters it down too much, IMO... But as long as it's cool-ish before the ice hits it, it's not so bad-- I'm not SUPER-fussy about it, but I like what I like... :)

So, the coffee card for $26... how big of an iced coffee are we talking? If it's a decent size-- like 16 oz. or more-- then that would probably be feasible. If it's a tiny little thing, then I'll probably make my own.

$26 for 10 cups of coffee does seem a little high, unless it is a bigger size???

$26 for 10 cups of coffee does seem a little high, unless it is a bigger size???

I think previous posters have indicated that the coffee card is only a good deal if you use it to get specialty espresso drinks like lattes and such. For plain coffee, I think it's cheaper by the cup. But I'm going off what I've read, not personal experience, so others should please correct me if I'm wrong.

Welcome back, Copper. Good to 'see you'. :)

I love iced coffee and often pour a cup or two of coffee, let it cool to room temp and then put over ice. I agree with those who say No to pouring the hot coffee over ice. All that does is make for brown colored water. :( Way too watered down.

The iced coffee varieties are available in regular and large sizes. The card allows you to order either, anything on the posted menu board. The large ones are a very respectable size. Not skimpy at all, but not like a 64oz coke at McDonald's either.

I thought it was a good buy and enjoyed the coffee, but that's just me.

You've obviously never bought a cup of coffee at Starbucks.:rolleyes:

And THAT is exactly why I rarely stop at Starbucks!! :)

But this IS vacation after all-- it would be nice to have a break from my daily "make coffee the night before to refrigerate for morning" routine...

Thanks to everyone for your replies... with our cruise coming up in less than a week, it seems it is ALL I can think about right now...

DFD.... Please tell me that is a typo. McD's actually sells a 64 ounces (half gallon) bucket of soda??? I'm speechless if that is true. Who could possibly want such a huge portion?

Hey now, here's a way to get your 8 glasses of water a day.

No charge for the 800 calories that come with it. :)

Archived