Special dining presentations

meidda

Occasionally I have seen references made about special food presentations or shows in the main dining room. Can you tell me about this? Is it repeated for all seatings? Is it better to be on the upper or lower level and for those who have opted for ATD will they miss out? I am booked on the Noordam next Feb and this will be my first cruise on HA. Thanks

Are you referring to the Master Chef's Dinner? Or the Parade of the Baked Alaska? Both, I presume, but those are the only two I know about.

They have been held on ships with traditional dining; there's been one report I remember that the Parade of the Baked Alaska was held on a ship that also had AYW. It must have been very confusing for those who were on a different schedule.

One can only hope that the advent of AYW will sound the death knell of the Master Chef's Dinner. :rolleyes:

We've been on many cruises where there is a Dutch Night:) . There are Dutch hats:cool: for the men and women and many Dutch entrees:p are offered. It's a fun night with pictures.

Trudy

Have done quite a few cruises on HAL. The last couple of years - no Dutch night like we all used to have. The dining room is no longer decorated in Dutch colors. No Dutch hats. Only a few Dutch items on the dinner menu.

Someone did mention on anotheer thread that the Noordam did have the Baked Alaska parade even though many people were still dining on the lower level.

Exactly how they are going to handle the Master Chef dinner is anyone's guess. Especially since that one requires all dinners to be eating at the same time.

I just got off the Zaandam for a 15 day cruise and we had the Master Chef's Dinner with the hats and dancing, the Baked Alaska Parade and live music at the Black and White Dinner. Nobby

But Zaandam is still on an all-traditional dining system. Not clear if all of this will still be done on ships with AYWD in place. And of course it may vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise - I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the officers in charge of this aspect of things have some discretion in the matter. Anyone know for sure?

I just got off the Zaandam for a 15 day cruise and we had the Master Chef's Dinner with the hats and dancing, the Baked Alaska Parade and live music at the Black and White Dinner.

Nobby

But AYW hasn't been introduced to the Zaandam yet. There's nothing to interfere with the production dinners if HAL wants to have them when the AYW variable isn't there.

Have done quite a few cruises on HAL. The last couple of years - no Dutch night like we all used to have. The dining room is no longer decorated in Dutch colors. No Dutch hats. Only a few Dutch items on the dinner menu.

Yes, Dutch night used to be a big thing with the stewards and asst. stewards dressing up in Dutch costumes, lots of "red, white and blue" (Dutch national colors) all over the place and several "Dutch" (or Indonesian) items on the menu. That's all a thing of the past however we did get the Dutch "his and her" hats last month on Rotterdam

But Zaandam is still on an all-traditional dining system. ...

But AYW hasn't been introduced to the Zaandam yet. ...

Hi Ruth! Great minds ...! Maybe it's because both of our brains run on the same fuel - chocolate :D !

But Zaandam is still on an all-traditional dining system. Not clear if all of this will still be done on ships with AYWD in place. And of course it may vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise - I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the officers in charge of this aspect of things have some discretion in the matter. Anyone know for sure?

Oops... see what happens when your mind is all scatter brained from thinking about the cruise and don't read the question properly? :o

Sorry about that and I always think "who are those idiots that answer something they are not asking..." now I am one of those...

Nobby

Ahoy!

We had a 'Dutch Night' with servers dressed up, banners, dutch menu items, etc. on the Prinsendam this past May. I guess it just depends on the ship that your on. Quite fun really.

When hitting various ports (european) the servers would dress up in various local outfits, little national flags on the table and at least one item on the menu that would be 'inspired' by the local cuisine, etc.

Then again the 'Elegant Explorer' is a special ship with special people aboard to serve you IMO.

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

I know lots of folks don't like the Baked Alaska parade, but I enjoy this tradition. It may be hokey, but I think it's fun and gets the entire dining room engaged.

I like it, too, Jim. And I'd like to see it continue, even though I don't eat the Baked Alaska (too much pink ice cream, and not enough brown ;) ).

But I'd be thrilled to see the Master Chef's dinner go away. :rolleyes:

I like it, too, Jim. And I'd like to see it continue, even though I don't eat the Baked Alaska (too much pink ice cream, and not enough brown ;) ).

But I'd be thrilled to see the Master Chef's dinner go away. :rolleyes:

When we used to stay for the Baked Alaska, all we ever got was gobs of the merangue and a little of the strawberry ice cream - which I hate.

We would also be thrilled to see the Master Chef dinner done away with.

Archived