This is why I tip!!

Montia65

Greetings,

Aimed for those people who don't like to tip!

Cabin Steward/Stewardess

Overview:

Daily cleaning of assigned public areas and passenger cabins, passenger laundry requests, maintain cleanliness of comfort areas (room service receiving areas).

Reports directly to the chief housekeeper.

Requirements:

One to two years professional experience in hotels or prior ship experience in related position is preferable.

Entry level position.

Salary Range & Contract Length:

$50 per month plus tips.

9-12 months on board/8-12 weeks vacation.

Benefits & Perks:

Air travel and overnight hotel accommodations (if necessary) en-route and homeward bound are not provided.

Room & Board provided.

Free P & I Medical coverage in accordance with the respective Maritime Law.

Share cabin facilities provided.

Dining crew mess.

==========================================================================

Dining Room Waiter/Waitress

Overview:

Serve passengers, keep menus clean, maintain cleanliness of tables and correct table settings, explain the dishes, make recommendations, supervise busboys assigned to those tables. Hours are long, typically 10-12 hours each day, seven days a week.

Reports directly to the Restaurant Manager.

Requirements:

Minimum one to two years hotel and/or restaurant or prior ship experience in related position.

Entry level position.

Salary Range & Contract Length:

$50 per month plus percentage of tips (average $1,500-2,200 per month).

6-9 months on board/4-8 weeks vacation.

Benefits & Perks:

Air travel and overnight hotel accommodations (if necessary) en-route and homeward bound are not provided.

Room & Board provided.

Free P & I Medical coverage in accordance with the respective Maritime Law.

Share cabin facilities provided.

Dining in crew mess.

Where did you find this? It certainly does not indicate $24K - $30K per year which was the amount put out there by several posters a few weeks ago. The $50 per month is more in keeping what we've been told by crew.

Is this on HAL's site?

Orcrone-

It is posted above, $50 per month, which is more in keeping with what we've been told by crew.

I'm curious about where this info came from, but I'm going to avoid getting into heated discussions about it like I did a couple of weeks ago. I'm still sore from that beating! :)

Where did you find this? It certainly does not indicate $24K - $30K per year which was the amount put out there by several posters a few weeks ago. The $50 per month is more in keeping what we've been told by crew.

Is this on HAL's site?

It comes from any number of different cruise employment agency sites, few of which HAL would use since it recruits directly in Indonesia and the Phillipines and maintains training facilities ("Cruise Colleges") in both countries. You can take this info with a grain of salt, or two, since I found also posted on one of these sites (a page or two away from this info): "There are many benefits to working on a cruise ship. One of them is the salary. All inclusive in your salary are; free room and board, food, plane tickets to and from your ship of employment, free uniforms and washing machine usage. Salaries vary from cruise ship to cruise ship and from company to company. Average salaries for working in the food service and hotel department range from $1,500- 4,500 per month. Some companies also offer vacation pay."

-dave

$50 is official salary....

With the tips it's between 3,000 and 4,000 a month. Less on HAL as there it's only $3 per day for waiter and room attendant.

Room attendant has at least 12 rooms which with double occupancy will give him: 12 * 7 * 3 * 2 = 504 weekly which is 2000+ monthly. (some people tip more, come cabin's have more people triples and quads)... From my experience attendants on HAL have more cabins to do as ours was not made up until after 12 noon on couple occasions.

Same goes to dining room waiter... (Our waiter had more than 24 people to serve).

Celebrity's staff gets a bit more as their tips per day are 3.50/day per person.

I'm just amazed at the hours of work these folks are able to do, day after day taking care of us, whatever the wage. They do deserve the tips, and I think what is reccomended is very affordable even to those of us who need to bargain shop for our cruises.

Christina Johnson. -- Maasdam on Sept. 18 ! yay

I thought $3.50/day/person was the accepted amount on all cruise lines. Doesn't HAL add $10/day/person as an automatic tip? That is $3.50/waiter, $3.50/steward, $2/waiter's assistant and $1/?
The Cruise Director on my recent cruise---and others on this board have reported the same---gave the breakdown as:

$3.00 to the cabin steward

$3.00 to the dining steward

$4.00 to various other service people, including---but not limited to---assistant table steward, laundry workers, cleaners....

In addition to the automatic tipping, you should remember that some (many) of us tip additional amounts to our cabin stewards, dining stewards, bar stewards..... There is no way for you to guesstimate how much those additional tips total.

I have talked with several crew members on RCCL and they say it is Room and Board and $50/month salary.

The suggested tips were - $3.50/day room steward, $3.50 per day waiter, $2.00 per day assistant waiter and $1.00 per day head waiter.

RCCL paid tickets home - I think.

You also need to remember that there are plenty who take off the tip.

The other point is there are not many people in the US, Canada or Europe that work 365 days straight at eleven plus hours a day, no breaks, no family, no real sick time...

Please let me know how many people you know rushing to do that.

You also need to remember that there are plenty who take off the tip.

The other point is there are not many people in the US, Canada or Europe that work 365 days straight at eleven plus hours a day, no breaks, no family, no real sick time...

Please let me know how many people you know rushing to do that.

Its not as if the cruise lines are having trouble finding staff. Although what you describe is fairly accurate for an intern, also...

-dave

Archived