Playa Del Carmen & Jewel of The Seas

We are going on the Jewel November 11 and our Majahaul port has changed to Play del Carmen because of the summer hurricane. I'm sure this has happened to many of you because of the same reason. But, we have no idea what would be good to do there. Is it close to Cancun, or other know areas or would it just be good to stay around there becasue there is a lot to see/do. We're trying to figure out what and if we want to do at that port so we would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

We went in June to PDC, stayed there a week.. Lots of shopping, clubs, restaurants. Cancun 45 minutes away.. You can go there or go to Cozumel on ferry/boat. You have a few places by there to see ruins if you like. PDC slightly slower paced and less congested than Cancun.. You'll love it...

If you ever decide to go back and stay there, Secrets Resort is the place to stay! If you like PDC, you might even want to take a short ride to Secrets Resort!

We are on the 11-11 Jewel with you and are excited about going to PDC. A few times when we stopped in Coz we thought of taking the ferry over but it was too risky. This is where everyone goes to go to Tulum. We are renting a car and going to Tulum and Akumal for snorkling. A good web sight is locogringo. From what I understand it would be easy to just spend the day in PDC at the beach and shopping.

We are going on the Jewel November 11 and our Majahaul port has changed to Play del Carmen because of the summer hurricane. I'm sure this has happened to many of you because of the same reason. But, we have no idea what would be good to do there. Is it close to Cancun, or other know areas or would it just be good to stay around there becasue there is a lot to see/do. We're trying to figure out what and if we want to do at that port so we would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Read the ports of call board for info and suggestions.. on PDC

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187

BUT before you do that, come join our roll call and meet some of your fellow crusiers(like Eileen!!)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=351420

Xcarat park is also a nice option at this port...Celebrity used the port near Playa Del Carmen a number of years ago (I think we were on Galaxy out of Baltimore). As mentioned, Tulum is also a good option.

FYI - We spent a week in Puerta Aventura (about 20 minutes south of Play Del Carmen) in September. The driver for our hotel's ground transportation service warned us that if we went into the town of Playa Del Carmen we should stay on the 2 or 3 streets closest to the water and should not venture out to further explore the town.

Also, we saw a lot of street-cart-based food and juice vendors...think twice about these as you don't know the source of the water supply. Our resort in Puerta Aventuras served exclusively bottled water and an on-site purification system (I saw certain outdoor faucets that were specificaly marked "non-purified water").

We're in the same boat (;)) on the Jewel 1/20/08, and we are going to Tulum to visit the Mayan ruins.

Archived