Help! I've lost my Discover card!

janc107

I called Discover and am actually getting a card with the same number as my lost one overnighted to me. The black strip on the back will be different. I am so happy!!

Thanks for all the advice.

Glad everything worked out. A suggestion is to call your credit card company(ies) and let them know the dates you're going to be away and where you'll be. This helps prevent a fraud alert which could be issued and freeze your card until you call (very likely long-distance or internationally) to resolve the issue. A freeze can wind up being costly. For my upcoming Med cruise in a few days, I designated my daughter (who isn't coming on this one) as the person to call if a fraud alert is issued. On my other card, I have fraud insurance. You can't be too careful.

Somebody want to explain why it is a good idea for Discover to issue a new card with the same number as the lost card?

Why are they not issuing you a new card bearing a new account number?

A lost card..... same account number????

Some of the company's are getting smart now and DW and DH will have the same account but different numbers on the card so you just have to cancel the card that is lost and you can still use the other one. They should have thought of this years ago!

Karysa

I'm surprised Discover didn't give you a new account number.

I received a letter from a store that I had visited that my account information MAY have been compromised. I called Discover, and they closed my present account, issued me a new account number and the new card arrived the next day with the new number. They transferred my balance from the old account to the new account. This was only about 3 months ago.

Hopefully everything goes okay for you. Have a great cruise.

I'd be really afraid of using a credit card with the same number on it (who cares what's programmed into the black strip on the back?), especially when travelling out of the country, AND you've reported the card lost or stolen.

You've reported the card as lost/stolen, yet you're given a replacement with the same number, and now are going to use it under suspicious circumstances (that is, outside of your normal spending habits)? That sounds like disastrous combination to me.

If you're only going to use for onboard spending, then you're probably OK, but don't be surprised if there's a problem using it for anything else.

I'm really surprised that Discover (or any credit card issuer) would even suggest this. What's up, are they running out of credit card numbers?

Archived