Please Help Me With My Dilemma--Princess or Royal Carribean??

dyad1978

My sister and I are in our mid 20s, and we are planning on going on a Southern Carribean cruise. We are debating between the Crown Princess and Royal Carribean's Serenade of the Seas. What are the pros and cons of each of these ships? And, which one of these ships is better suited for people our age ( in terms of nightlife, etc)?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

progress.gif

I would definitely lean toward Serenade. We have done both lines (although not either ship). We are in our mid forties and often travel with our teens.

We found the entertainment to be lacking on Princess. Think more Frank Sinatra-esque. I often hear that Princess food is considered a step up, we did not find this to be the case. We find the food about the same on all ships we have sailed, with the exception of our recent Celebrity cruise in the Med.... A big step up.

We love the sailings out of San Juan, and would be looking to make sure Aruba was an included port in whichever you choose. We are sailing on the Jewel next, a sister to Serenade, because of all of the great things we hear about this class of ship.

I think I'd vote for Serenade for you. We've sailed on both Princess and RCI, and we find that RCI has a lot higher energy level than Princess. Skywalker's Disco is a great spot, and has always been empty except for a few late night revellers and cruise ship staff every time we've been up there after 10:00 pm. We've seen that on longer RCI cruises, but on the 7-night runs, the disco (Viking Crown Lounge) has plenty of life to it.

Also, during the day on sea days, there will be lots of activities poolside on an RCI ship, fewer on Princess. And in the evening there will be a lot of lively activities. I do think that the cruise director will gear many of the activities toward the demographic onboard - the headline entertainers are planned in advance, but the other activities involving the staff can be tweaked.

I would give Princess a slight nod on the dining room food, because RCI has been slipping in that area recently. But RCI has a superior layout and offerings in their buffet, and their specialty restaurants, Chops and Portofino, beat the pants off Sabatini and Sterling Steak House (but the Crown Princess has a grill that I've heard is very good).

I agree completely. My experience was similar with Princess and Royal Caribbean, not my kind of entertainment and the food did not live up to expectations and the price difference between Princess and RCI was too great. I'd choose The Serenade.

I guess I look at things differently, but I preferred Princess. I found both had an equal number of activities, both had outstanding service, both had adult sections and both gave out the same prizes. The only thing that makes princess stand out for me/us is the extra perks that came along with the suite and the fact that they automatically gave us priority to get off the ship and a special place to wait for disembarkation while RC assigned us the very last color to get off the ship and didn't invite us to any of the lounges. It's the little things that do make a difference to us.

The only thing that makes princess stand out for me/us is the extra perks that came along with the suite and the fact that they automatically gave us priority to get off the ship and a special place to wait for disembarkation while RC assigned us the very last color to get off the ship and didn't invite us to any of the lounges. It's the little things that do make a difference to us.

Mademypoint, if you were in a suite on RCCL, you should've received a letter from the Concierge directing to you to the special lounge to wait in, and you should've received special luggage tags to allow you to get off the ship first.

I've gone on both Princess and RCI, and while I had fun on both, I definitely prefer the energy on RCI. I thought it was a younger crowd with better activities and amenities on the ships. Both had very good and attentive service, but overall I had more fun on RCI.

My sister and I are in our mid 20s, and we are planning on going on a Southern Carribean cruise. We are debating between the Crown Princess and Royal Carribean's Serenade of the Seas. What are the pros and cons of each of these ships? And, which one of these ships is better suited for people our age ( in terms of nightlife, etc)?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

progress.gif

dyad1978,

My husband and I are in our late 20s early 30s and lean a little more toward RCCL. The ship seems to have a more active crowd, even among the older travelers. Last year we traveled on Princess and had a great time. However, on sea days it was really a "want do I want to do most" kind of thing, because all of the activities where scheduled at the same time or overlapped. We didn't find the food to be far enough superior to award it any brownie points. But there were things that I did like about Princess. 1) The prices seemed to be lower for equivalent accommodations. 2) You may bring up to two bottles of your favorite wine/champagne on board. 3) They are in room bar set-ups (for all cabins). 4) You can pre-book spa appointments and specialty restaurants. 5) There is a formal afternoon tea. 6) You can pre-book shore excursions and they get charged to your sea-pass card once on the ship (no nee to pre-pay). Even with all that RCCL is our preferred cruiseline because of the active lifestyle we have. RCCL just to be a better fit. Hope this helps.

We have done by Crown Princess and Serenade, and I would take Serenade in a heartbeat over Crown. Much different atmosphere, Crown is nice, but more of a quiet atmosphere - pool servers don't carry drinks on their heads, not as much joking around, better pool games on Royal, etc. Serenade has a great Disco, we danced until 1:30 the last time we were on her and we are not late night people at all! But they had a 70's party with the "Village People" and it was a hoot! Servers are more sedate on Princess. It was a nice ship and everything, but we just much prefer the style of RCI and love the Serenade with all the glass and brass. JMO :) :)

I love the Crown Princess, but for your ages, I think you'd enjoy RCCL better - there is a lot more activity for you on RCCL. The nightlife is probably very similar, but the day activities you might like better.

But the Crown does have the Movies Under the Stars and lots of classes going on.

I would suggest you also post this on the Princess board and get their take. Opinions might vary but just make sure you can compare somebody's experience that have actually been on both ships you mention.

Good luck..........I would imagine you wont' go wrong with either choice.

We have sailed both Princess and Royal Caribbean, we love both cruise lines for what they each offer. for the Caribbean i would go with the Radiance Class, the Serenade of the Seas, we sailed her sister ship, the Brilliance and they are stunning. Granted the BOS was in 2004, but we found the food to be pretty equal, shows better on RCL, Princess has the edge on the Wacky Pool Games, RCL better laid out with their Buffet ( Windjammer). Our selection is based upon itnerary and cost for particular cruise. Next Oct we are doing Hawaii on the Radiance of the Seas, sister to the Serenade.

Have a wonderful cruise.

I took a trip in May on the Coral Princess and after traveling in 2006 with RCCL on the Navigator of the Seas ---- I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT I WILL NEVER CONSIDER TRAVELING WITH PRINCESS AGAIN! I had a terrible cruise experience during a 7 day and 5 day land tour on the Coral Princess to Alaska. My husband and I were the youngest passengers on the cruise and I just turned 50 and my husband is in his mid 40's. We felt the seniors (no offensive to older people reading my posting) were some of the rudious passengers I have ever traveled with and they would cut us off and slow down the lines; etc., etc., %)#+@)(@!( I could go on and on but the service from Princess was horrible, and the workers nearly knocked me off the gangplank as I was walking down in their rush to get to the phone banks and the end of the gangplanks. No, apologies to me...and it was a long drop downward if I had not been successful in grabbing the side ropes. The beds were short in length and the bathrooms were made for very short, tiny in size people with a shower curtain that sticks to you! THAT IS PRINCESS! That is why I have booked to go back to cruising with RCCL and never with Princess again. Oh, and do not think about complaining to Princess because they never answer their complaints either. Something about just hearing the name Princess Cruise lines makes the ugly come out of me! I do enjoy RCCL and promise I will never stray again!!!

CincinnatiGal

Serenade of the Seas 11-29-08 Southern Caribbean

Coral Princess 5-21-07 NB Alaska

Navigator of the Seas 10-28-06

Delta Queen (1990-1991-1992) OHIO RIVER Cruises

I took a trip in May on the Coral Princess and after traveling in 2006 with RCCL on the Navigator of the Seas ---- I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT I WILL NEVER CONSIDER TRAVELING WITH PRINCESS AGAIN! I had a terrible cruise experience during a 7 day and 5 day land tour on the Coral Princess to Alaska. My husband and I were the youngest passengers on the cruise and I just turned 50 and my husband is in his mid 40's. We felt the seniors (no offensive to older people reading my posting) were some of the rudious passengers I have ever traveled with and they would cut us off and slow down the lines; etc., etc., %)#+@)(@!( I could go on and on but the service from Princess was horrible, and the workers nearly knocked me off the gangplank as I was walking down in their rush to get to the phone banks and the end of the gangplanks. No, apologies to me...and it was a long drop downward if I had not been successful in grabbing the side ropes. The beds were short in length and the bathrooms were made for very short, tiny in size people with a shower curtain that sticks to you! THAT IS PRINCESS! That is why I have booked to go back to cruising with RCCL and never with Princess again. Oh, and do not think about complaining to Princess because they never answer their complaints either. Something about just hearing the name Princess Cruise lines makes the ugly come out of me! I do enjoy RCCL and promise I will never stray again!!!

CincinnatiGal

Serenade of the Seas 11-29-08 Southern Caribbean

Coral Princess 5-21-07 NB Alaska

Navigator of the Seas 10-28-06

Delta Queen (1990-1991-1992) OHIO RIVER Cruises

I feel exactly the same about Princess - we are 55 and 58. Our travel agent was given wrong information about honoring a promotion - 3 times by supervisors in customer service. They do not honor their word even if it is documented and tell you to go away if you have a problem. Also their customer relations people will not talk to customers or travel agents on the phone. If you have a legitimate problem they don't care if they lose a customer. Royal Caribbean customer relations will call you on the phone and try to solve problems. No comparison in the 2 lines. Royal Caribbean by a mile.

Cincinnati, I as you have I am sure, read Post where one as a terrible time others a good time, and its a shame that has to happen. I will agree with you, that RCL is a level up or more from Princess. The atmosphere, presentation is so far above. We have thus far, enjoyed two Princess Cruises on the Sea Princess in 2002 and the Older Sun Princess in 2006, and had remarkable service etc. My favorite will always be RCL, yet Princess has given us enjoyment in enough areas we will continue to sail with them depending on the itnerary and price. I would like to try a Voyager Class at least once.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

progress.gif

I would suggest the Serenade also, but here is my posting that compares the Crown Princess with a Royal Caribbean cruise:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=384375

The only thing that makes princess stand out for me/us is the extra perks that came along with the suite and the fact that they automatically gave us priority to get off the ship and a special place to wait for disembarkation while RC assigned us the very last color to get off the ship and didn't invite us to any of the lounges. It's the little things that do make a difference to us.

Funny, I had the exact opposite experience. In a full suite on Princess we did not have priority to disembark - I think that may be a new suite perk (it's a new Elite perk, anyway). On RCI when we stayed in full suites we were given priority disembarkation with the Diamond/D+ members of the C&A Society (the frequent cruisers' program). Although now that we're D+ we're the "royalty" in "Royal"....:D

In our three Cruises, two with Princess and one with RCL, with no real priority embarkation or otherwise, we have been able to board within 30 min of arrival of the Terminal. We have just walked up to our assisgned Deck Check In and proceeded thru the process and boarded the ship.

Mademypoint, if you were in a suite on RCCL, you should've received a letter from the Concierge directing to you to the special lounge to wait in, and you should've received special luggage tags to allow you to get off the ship first.

We sailed in a RFS on Radiance, and also was not directed to any special lounge to wait, and were definately not off the ship first!

The priority for D/D+/Suites isn't always first off the ship. Now that there's express disembarkation available, those pax go first. If there is a large number of people with early flights, they also will disembark first. On our Radiance trip, the D/D+/Suites were behind the early flights.

I don't think the full suites are invited to use the P/D lounge because RCI seems to think that everybody wants to get off the ship ASAP. But if there are delays in disembarkation, as there were on our Radiance cruise, I'm a little surprised that the suite people don't have that privilege (you could wait in the CL, but there's hardly enough seating for everybody). On the Sun Princess we were invited to stay in our stateroom until we disembarked. It was a very nice perk, but on the Island Princess we did not get such an invitation, so we waited in the P/E lounge.

But we digress, LOL. I don't think the OP is concerned with disembarkation or suite perks, more with have a great time on his/her cruise. I still vote for RCI!

I feel exactly the same about Princess - we are 55 and 58. Our travel agent was given wrong information about honoring a promotion - 3 times by supervisors in customer service. They do not honor their word even if it is documented and tell you to go away if you have a problem. Also their customer relations people will not talk to customers or travel agents on the phone. If you have a legitimate problem they don't care if they lose a customer. Royal Caribbean customer relations will call you on the phone and try to solve problems. No comparison in the 2 lines. Royal Caribbean by a mile.

I agree with Dave and Cincinnatigal. I have cruised 18 times, mainly on Carnival. I have also cruised on Princess and Royal Caribbean. I couldn't believe how rude some of the people were on one Princess cruise I took. I wore my Carnival lanyard, and you wouldn't believe all the rude comments I heard from people about wearing a "Carnival" lanyard. After several days of this, I replied, "Carnival owns this ship!", to everyone who made snide comments. That shut them up!!!:)

browneyes7:rolleyes:

I have to agree with some of the posts. We just got off the Emerald Princess and I have to say it was the worse experience we have had cruising. I could not believe how rude the staff was especially in the dinning area's. Would never sail them again! I will stick to RCCL.

Archived