Aversion to shorts

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

Here in Sacramento, where daytime temps reach 95 to 105 degrees every day for 4 months, it's a matter of survival. I have 6 pairs of Bermuda shorts which hit me at mid-knee, and those are appropriate for almost everywhere I go. For work, capris fill the bill. I'm not a skirt-wearer, and if I had to wear longs pants in July, I'd suffocate.

The only time I wear shorts is when I'm running or working out at the gym.

I prefer casual skirts or dresses. I don't wear capris either.

Me, too. I have a couple of pair of yoga style capri pants but really prefer the look and comfort of dresses and skirts.

I do have a couple of pair of dressier city shorts that I wear with heels on occasion.

The problem comes when you need to sit down on vinyl, leather, plastic or dirty surfaces along with those chairs with webbing or other designs that become imprinted on your legs. UGH! If I need to wear them for some specific reason, I carry a bandana with me and put that on the seat before I sit down.

I never have this issue with the length of the shorts that I wear. ;) I never wear "short shorts" other than for yardwork.

Another dreaded shorts wearer here. I golf about 5 days a week in the summer and wore them into October when we had a cold snap and I had to switch to long pants. I was able to pull the shorts back out last weekend though for a beautiful Indian summer day! Can't imagine not wearing them.

suze, I golf a little less (I'm in the golf business) and only wear golf skirts. I absolutely love them. You'll have to try one!

suze, I golf a little less (I'm in the golf business) and only wear golf skirts. I absolutely love them. You'll have to try one!

I also wear Nike golf skorts along with the shorts. The shorts I wear are by Liz Golf. They are super comfy. Lucky you for being in the business!!!!!

i agree with you i'm 5'2 and long shorts dont look right on me i do wear short shorts but i'm completly covered nothing showing even when i bend over i don't have to shave that often thankfully and i never get razor stubble either i will be wearing bermuda shorts on my cruise when i go into port or a skort so if anyone sees me from the message boards don't laugh because i look dumpy but i thank i'll feel more comfortable in other countries more covered up

It is very warm here for most of the year, so I never thought about shorts not being appropriate "day wear". Interesting thread though. As for me, I'll wear my mid thigh shorts and be comfortable during the day. I am in my mid 40's, and everyone I know here wears shorts during warm weather. Just a way of life in the South.

I live in Florida,land of the tropical summers, so shorts are almost a year around staple.During around April thru Sept the 3" inseam are the only way to go.

3 inch inseam? Now you must have great legs;) :D

I do the shorts thing too...but no way can I wear a 3 inch

inseam!

It's all a matter of FIT! If they fit poorly, you will look awful! I'm in my 50's and wear shorts all summer! As long as they aren't made for teens, and they fit well and flatter your figure, I have no problem! But, to each his/her own! If you don't like them, don't wear them!

I had not worn shorts for years...I am 65 years old and have thought that I was past being able to get away with them...but this spring I saw others wearing the longer shorts and liked the idea of having cooler legs in warm weather..so this year I bought a really nice pair of white shorts at Chico's that hit just above the knee hiding the dreaded upper leg and showing only the lower leg that is not too bad looking, thanks to walking and cycling and usually tanned a little..and guess what I love them... I want to buy a khaki pair before my cruise next spring. I guess it is to each his own...some may think I should not wear them, but I gave them the 2 daughter test and passed with both of them. Sissy

I hate shorts.. and being only 5" I can't wear the bermuda shorts cause they look funny (i think anyway).. I will only wear skirts (or the skorts that look like a skirt all the way around), dresses, sundresses etc

I just find them very casual and not really appropriate on adults.. just my opinion..

:cool:

The skorts I pick are also basially a skirt over shorts but do not look like shorts from the back, the same as you like. Some call those scooter skirts but I think of scooter skirts as being those that barely cover your butt. Mine come to the top of my knee.

Just got home from our very hot 8 day cruise. Wore shorts everyday. Not ever to the dining room, Wore a skort one evening to casual dinner, it rode up all evening, not good. Legs still not good, but will continue to wear them on hot days.

Just got home from our very hot 8 day cruise. Wore shorts everyday. Not ever to the dining room, Wore a skort one evening to casual dinner, it rode up all evening, not good. Legs still not good, but will continue to wear them on hot days.

Yes I find skorts are still shorts. they may look better when I am standing but as you said they ride up in a way a true skirt never would.

• 2 weeks later...

Bermuda shorts are a nice alternative to shorts. They stop right above the knee and offer a polished look if paired with the right top. The great thing about them is that they can be dressed up easily with a pair of heels or remain casaul and comfy with any flat shoe. Hope this helped. :)

• 2 months later...
Does anyone else have an aversion to shorts? I will wear them maybe 4 times all summer, and maybe a day or 2 on a cruise, usually as a swimsuit cover up. But other than that I just think they're generally not a good look. They highlight one of the widest, most disliked parts of my body (thighs) and it's too much trouble shaving every single time you wear them. Now I am not overweight or anything, I just think they're just way too overly casual maybe? I tend to wear capris more- thigh coverage but still airy and cool in the hot weather. Your thoughts?

I have a few pair of shorts that I wear from time to time but I have no butt so most pants don't flatter me. I prefer skirts and dresses in the summertime. Personally, I don't think capris look good on ANYBODY - but I still wear them...LOL.

I don't wear shorts much, either- I have some but I wear them when they are the only functional choice (like for an active shore excursion or running.) I prefer casual skirts with a tank top for summer wear. There are some nice-looking shorts out there but I think the casual skirts are much cooler in the summer. It's hard to get shorts that fit right. My pet peeve are the ones I see so often that are giving the wearer a Perma-Wedgie.

Barb

3 inch inseam? Now you must have great legs;) :D

I do the shorts thing too...but no way can I wear a 3 inch

inseam!

No I do not have great legs.Actually they are 3 to 4 inch.It is just too hot and humid during the summer for anything else.It is a matter of comfort and being "comfortable in your own skin".

I live in SW Florida, and I wear shorts almost every day. So do almost all the women I see - from the teens to the 70+ grannies. Nobody minds. I think with the popularity of the burmudas lately it has given a "look" for everyone. By the way - down here if you see a woman wearing long pants at the grocery store during the day we pretty well know she's a "seasonal visitor".;) The lifestyle here is much less formal than a lot of the country - especially the Northeast. So- I guess each to their own.:)

No I do not have great legs.Actually they are 3 to 4 inch.It is just too hot and humid during the summer for anything else.It is a matter of comfort and being "comfortable in your own skin".

Hi,:) I wasn't critisizing you for wearing a 3 inch seam. (Sorry

if it came out that way).

I am comfortable in shorts all the time:D ~I live in Florida too and it

is hot and humid here ALOT.

I have always worn shorts. Love them, from Columbia brand

to just a brushed cotton.

I know many gals don't like them (many on this thread too)

but I agree with you....being comfortable in one's own skin!:)

Archived