RCL Zero Tolerance

Peggy13

Sounds like a very sad situation, and I agree with the earlier poster who found it a bit disturbing that several people were so quick to seem delighted that RCI had kicked this couple off the ship. Without really knowing the exact details, how do we really know if that was "the right thing to do" or not. Surely it should have been dealt with somehow, but I certainly don't think they should throw people off the ship for yelling at each other and disturbing other passengers, unless there were a warning or two to settle down or else you'll be kicked off . . .

I have to disagree with this. While I am not "delighted" that RCI removed this couple from the ship I agree with their decision. This type of behavior should not be tolerated. We've lost several nights of sleep due to loud and disorderly people in the next cabin/hotel room. I am sick of it.

I have to disagree with this. While I am not "delighted" that RCI removed this couple from the ship I agree with their decision. This type of behavior should not be tolerated. We've lost several nights of sleep due to loud and disorderly people in the next cabin/hotel room. I am sick of it.

My point was that it's hard (for me) to agree or disagree with their actions, without knowing the whole story. I generally don't believe in true "zero tolerance" policies. If you're being loud and disorderly, I think there should at least be some warning given, before the extreme action of removing someone from the ship is taken.

Some people get stressed out on a vacation, when things don't go exactly as planned, and might raise their voices. Wouldn't want that to result in an immediate expulsion from the ship. But if it's extreme enough or doesn't stop after a warning or two, then I have no problem with RCI using that as a measure to keep control on their ships.

As someone who was next to a couple like this on my NCL cruise, I can tell you that I am glad that RCCL has this policy in place.

On NCL in 2002, we were awaken every night when the couple got in (usually 2am). Screaming, throwing glass at eachother, someone got slammed off the wall :( .

My oldest was 2 at the time and she was terrified to listen to that. :eek:

We had to call security every night (frankly I was concerned for the safety of the woman) and they would take over an hour to get there. They would listen outside the cabin door, hear nothing (of course, it was an hour later), then knock loudly on OUR door and tell us they couldn't hear anything so they couldn't do anything. :rolleyes:

So at least RCCL has some kind of policy in place to deal with that.

RCI doesn't need anymore bad publicity or lawsuits over incidents on their ships. Remember the big one last year or so when the husband turned up dead or missing. As I recall they too were a young married couple and the wife had been partying it up somewhere else on the ship while her husband was being thrown overboard by unknown person(s).

If what the OP said is true, you had blood, a drunken female dancing with many men who is yelling at her SO that she wants him OFF the ship. Not quite deja vu but close enough.

I say RCI did what they had to do to protect themselves.

There is also a vicarioius liability issue for them since they served her the alcohol that got her so drunk. I noticed on my last cruise they were cutting people off after six drinks. Only problem was that you could just walk to the next bar and get another six.

I'm sorry this couple's cruise was cut short but I don't think RCI had any choice given the circumstances.

Jimmers:)

RCI doesn't need anymore bad publicity or lawsuits over incidents on their ships. Remember the big one last year or so when the husband turned up dead or missing. As I recall they too were a young married couple and the wife had been partying it up somewhere else on the ship while her husband was being thrown overboard by unknown person(s).

If what the OP said is true, you had blood, a drunken female dancing with many men who is yelling at her SO that she wants him OFF the ship. Not quite deja vu but close enough.

I say RCI did what they had to do to protect themselves.

There is also a vicarioius liability issue for them since they served her the alcohol that got her so drunk. I noticed on my last cruise they were cutting people off after six drinks. Only problem was that you could just walk to the next bar and get another six.

I'm sorry this couple's cruise was cut short but I don't think RCI had any choice given the circumstances.

Jimmers:)

Very good point. You will always have people who think there should be no rules and no consequences for actions. There should always be more warning and more chances - or you should wait until there is a "problem" to have a concern. :rolleyes:

I guess a dead or broken body would be seen as a "problem"? - and therefore, grounds for removal from the ship......

Sounds like a very sad situation, and I agree with the earlier poster who found it a bit disturbing that several people were so quick to seem delighted that RCI had kicked this couple off the ship. Without really knowing the exact details, how do we really know if that was "the right thing to do" or not. Surely it should have been dealt with somehow, but I certainly don't think they should throw people off the ship for yelling at each other and disturbing other passengers, unless there were a warning or two to settle down or else you'll be kicked off . . .

I don't think they were "thrown off" only because of the yelling/fighting - it was because of the blood involved/found in the cabin - that came directly from our cabin attendant. I think maybe if it was only fighting/yelling, they may have been given a "warning".

Sorry, but all this seems really mean. Can't believe some of you are taking such delight in what appears to be a very sad situation.
The only delight we are taking is that RCI handled the situation correctly instead of overlooking it and doing nothing.

I think the people who were saying "Yeah" to RCI kicking those two off was in reference to the many threads lately about "bad behavior" on board ships and nobody doing anything about it. Some of the threads were about rude people, and loitering teenagers ...

A few years ago while on an NCL cruise we became friendly with a couple and found out after a few days that it was a "reconciliation" cruise for them. They did not reconcile ... they fought and fought and drank and got mean .... and tried to get us involved. It was very, very ugly.

Hopefully those two found their way home .... .

Hi, Lawman,

I'm a court reporter, so we're in the same field <g>.

I just have to ask you about your portholes and dolphins and waves graphic. I live in South Florida and just LOVE those pictures. Is that part of a countdown clock from somewhere, or did you design it yourself?

Thank you ...

Lynn

Hey, Lynn, I'm a court reporter too! I'm an official in common pleas court. Are you a freelancer?

Hey, Lynn, I'm a court reporter too! I'm an official in common pleas court. Are you a freelancer?

Hi, Kelly,

Yes, I'm a freelancer in South Florida. I prefer depo work. This is exciting! I never seem to "meet" court reporters from anywhere else!!!

Lynn

Hi, Kelly,

Yes, I'm a freelancer in South Florida. I prefer depo work. This is exciting! I never seem to "meet" court reporters from anywhere else!!!

Lynn

I know. I never run into court reporters either! I admire you, as I think court reporting in South Florida would be very challenging (many nationalities, accents, etc.). Do you realtime your depos? We are a small town (five judges plus several masters) and are fortunate that our county purchases our machines and software (Eclipse).

So as not to be totally OT, I applaud RCCL for kicking these passengers off.

I know. I never run into court reporters either! I admire you, as I think court reporting in South Florida would be very challenging (many nationalities, accents, etc.). Do you realtime your depos? We are a small town (five judges plus several masters) and are fortunate that our county purchases our machines and software (Eclipse).

So as not to be totally OT, I applaud RCCL for kicking these passengers off.

Hi, Kelly,

It's very, very, very difficult in South Florida with all the accents. That is probably the main reason I never wanted to do court. It's just toooo difficult with the situations down here.

I use Eclipse, too, and have been for years. I love it!

How is this for getting back on topic? I live about 20 minutes from Port of Miami and as a court reporter hear sooo many stories. With all the violence in the world today, I am VERY happy to hear that RCCL has handles situations as quickly as possible when they arise. Bad situations get out of hand very quickly and can escalate. And innocent bystanders often end up in the middle of something they shouldn't even have to be around. So, kudos to RCCL for NOT allowing and/or condoning domestic violence or any other type on their ships. That fact will help keep me as a happy customer!

Hi, Kelly,

It's very, very, very difficult in South Florida with all the accents. That is probably the main reason I never wanted to do court. It's just toooo difficult with the situations down here.

I use Eclipse, too, and have been for years. I love it!

How is this for getting back on topic? I live about 20 minutes from Port of Miami and as a court reporter hear sooo many stories. With all the violence in the world today, I am VERY happy to hear that RCCL has handles situations as quickly as possible when they arise. Bad situations get out of hand very quickly and can escalate. And innocent bystanders often end up in the middle of something they shouldn't even have to be around. So, kudos to RCCL for NOT allowing and/or condoning domestic violence or any other type on their ships. That fact will help keep me as a happy customer!

Lynn,

For how many years have you been reporting? I graduated in 1986 and then freelanced until I took my county job in 1990.

I agree with your opinion about violence. People who particularly work in legal fields see all too often the escalation of bad situations.

Kelly

Lynn,

For how many years have you been reporting? I graduated in 1986 and then freelanced until I took my county job in 1990.

I agree with your opinion about violence. People who particularly work in legal fields see all too often the escalation of bad situations.

Kelly

Hi, Kelly,

"Technically," I've been freelance reporting for ten years. I started transcribing trials at home in 1986 when our son was born. Then when he got older I started court reporting school, and the rest is history. Before 1983 I worked as a legal secretary/assistant to a senior partner in a major Miami law firm. I guess I've always had "some" interest in the law <g>.

Lynn

Archived