Do you think of the current Zuiderdam pax ........

sail7seas

There are a bunch who are ranting and raving they need to get off the 'dam' ship and get back home? Think there are some percentage who have figured out all the ways the Captain should be doing things and if he had done as they suggested, no one would be in the 'fix' they are currently in? You know the type..........they'll 'hold court' at the pool and lecture about everything HAL and the Captain did wrong so that it is their fault the ship could not return and disembark?

7, I would hope people would just watch the news....then maybe they would be able to see the Captain cannot do anything:eek: .........are those particular people really so self-centered?.....Don't they realize he (Captain) CANNOT put them in danger and that is what would be happening if he tried to come into port?

I am usually a very non-confrontational person...but if they think the Captain has done something wrong, I would just have to bite the bullet and tell them if they don't like how he is handling it, they can just jump off the F***** ship.

Hi Lois.......So glad you have power and are able to post. Hope it stays this way!!!

IF they have seen much news on CNN about the realities, I suppose they will be more reasonable. Depends how much coverage they have been able to see/hear.

There are some in every crowd. I would have a great time, but I tend to go with the flow in bad situations.. If no one is having a party I would start one.. except I tend to not speak up as much as others and never seem to make friends on my cruises like I have read some people on the board do.

7, I would hope people would just watch the news....then maybe they would be able to see the Captain cannot do anything:eek: .........are those particular people really so self-centered?.....Don't they realize he (Captain) CANNOT put them in danger and that is what would be happening if he tried to come into port?

I am usually a very non-confrontational person...but if they think the Captain has done something wrong, I would just have to bite the bullet and tell them if they don't like how he is handling it, they can just jump off the F***** ship.

What people? I thought this was a hypothetical type question. I haven't read where anyone was complaining. Granted, there are usually a few that complain about anything so I would assume there are a handful on board full of complaints.

The news is not very easy to get on board. I don't think that CNN International would have the type of hurricane coverage that CNN has in the US. I believe the poster who is currently on the Zuiderdam said they were not getting much from CNN Internationl.

kyros checked in late last night from the Zuiderdam - she seem to be doing well and enjoying herself - but she didn't mention anything about the other passengers - their feelings, etc.

Yes, some will be complaining - the usual crowd - the ones who complain about everything.

I've seen Rita's (Kryos) post as well...sounds like the passengers are taking it quite well. S7S, are you hearing from someone else?

I don't know where you heard about a bunch of people ranting and raving that they need to get off the ship, but my friend has said absolutely nothing about it. He said that everyone was taking it in their stride and had every confidence that Captain Biljouw would do the right thing - the paxs safety comes first.

As of 4:14pm yesterday he said ]"We might have to wait an extra day which will make it Monday. . Right now the weather is sunny with smooth seas. Capt. Hans will try to stay in protected waters as long as he can."

I think Sail was simply curious as to what we felt was happening with the extended cruise pax. Notice that her post is in the form of a question. "Do you think ..." Group dynamics as they are, I'm sure some are fuming and about to bust a blood vessel. I'm also reasonably sure some folks are concerned because they're away from their aging parents or some such longer than they had planned. The holiday notwithstanding, there are probably some who are overdue back at work and are losing income by still being away. As wonderful as an extended cruise could be, it's likely that it is a huge inconvenience for some people. For those who can go with the flow, what a great deal!

Roadwork, I never said anyone was complaining....I was answering a question posted by 7..., which was a "What If" so I answered with my thoughts.....sorry if you think my reply was out of line.

I wouldn't be mad but I would be concerned since my employer and family would expect me back on Monday, I could only afford to make so many calls from the ship but that said, I would face the facts and try to enjoy myself. I would get over the concern quickly!

Now if I had a home in South Florida, I would be concerned for more reasons.

S7S and Lois -

I understood it was just a question and I would be willing to guarantee that there are at least a few irates on the ship. We have all seen people get irate for far less reasons than that...because the elevator isn't fast enough, the lobster tail was too small, etc.

Ahhh, Gretchen.....You Get It!!! Thank You.

We all know someone will be carrying on no matter what!!! They seem to thrive on it. And delight in trying to ruin everyone else's pleasure and fun.....even here on the Board let alone on the ships.

There are folks who are always sour and negative and have very little pleasant to say to anyone but are always grumbling, nit picking and criticizing others.

And there are others who are always smiling and happy and enjoying and try to take the roadblocks in stride.

I think it's an easy choice which folks I want to cruise with :)

I can tell you that i would be making the most of it. Cant change anything so would enjoy the day as much as possible.

BTW since we were coming into Athens during the Olympics and there were many security concerns I brought an extra week of medications for the family. One person takes 4 meds three times a day and there is no way to get these in Europe (I know this from experience).

I read S7S OP and its pretty clear to me she was "juust wondering" not actually stating an actual event.

I certainly can see people being anxious about being on the ship the extra day. People need to get flights home, they may have to work in the morning, they have children at home staying with friends and relatives . They may even live in the areas that Frances is hitting and they are worried. They haven't been home all week to batten down the hatches and buy supplies.

If they don't have the extensive news coverage we are all seeing. Who knows what is going through their minds. Whats going on with their homes and loved ones at home.

Granted none of this is the Captains or HALs or any cruise lines fault, but i can see the pax anxiety.

Then we would cruise well together. I would be concerned until I made a phone call or 2 then I would be fine, taking it in stride and enjoying the extra days. And appreciating that the Captain was taking good care of us.

It sounds as if they are getting pretty good information on the ship too.

I wonder if they are allowing passengers a free phone call or 2? My family is pretty savvy though, they would know what is going on anyway.

Yes, of course, I am sure the vast majority of us would have initial concerns and we would tend to doing whatever we were able to do from aboard the ship. We would make whatever phone call we felt appropriate, send e-mails, faxes.

Presumably, any Floridian who cruises this time of year knows to have made arrangements with a neighbor, a family member, a trusted workman they hire reqularly to see to securing their home.

Then.......most of us would get on with enjoying eachother and the ship.

Jacqueline.........VERY wise thing to do.

If DH and I plan to be away for 18 days, I always go to the pharmacy before we travel and get additional refill so that we travel with no less than an extra week's worth of meds. (When we recently went on Maasdam, I actually went with an extra two weeks worth as I had in the back of my mind we might try to stay aboard for an extra week.....we live thirty minutes from the port and no air was necessary) . WE have to take meds and I don't want to add a needless stress to our vacation.........Why stress over running out when proper prior planning would provide us with what we need?

Hi 7:)...yep you asked, and I got quoted for a bad reply:eek: , and you got quoted for your question:rolleyes:

Seems we can't win today:cool:

Lois,

I am sorry about that, your post read as though you had knowledge of people complaining. End of message to Lois.........

I am also sorry to see this thread turn into nastiness, name calling, and rude insinuations, because another poster may have not interpreted it as hypothetical. I see absolutley no need for this. The attitude and tone was uncalled for.

S7S

Not much you really can do other than that. Whether you are ranting like a maniac to the captain, or sitting around the pool enjoying an drink. You are still not getting off that ship until it is officially safe.

Remember the Z is on calm waters and its supposedly a beautiful day from what I have read in the post. So what can you do?

Hi 7:)...yep you asked, and I got quoted for a bad reply:eek: , and you got quoted for your question:rolleyes:

Seems we can't win today:cool:

For punishment only one dessert at dinner! That is on the first day, after that anything goes.

Enjoy the Z next week.

S7S

if you gotta suffer thats the way to do it *LOL*

This storm is hurting so many people in so many ways , from destroying homes and lives to screwing up travel plans. And I comiserate with all.

I have to admit I would be a wreck myself if my Mom was at home in Boca right now. Thank God she is here in CT right now for an upcoming wedding.

Now I am just a wreck because my mother is in town driving me crazy *LOL*

"Just kidding Ma , I love you :)"

Archived