Wine Card

jerseygirl3

My elderly parents will be on the Zuiderdam in February. They don't spend a lot on extras when they cruise, so I was thinking of getting each of them a 10 pour wine card. I've read pros and cons of the card, but I think they'd like this. A 20 pour card for each of them would be too much as they normally have only a glass or two at dinner each night. Does this sound like a good idea?

If I were to get one 20 pour card, could they both use it, or is it in one person's name only?

If I were to get one 20 pour card, could they both use it, or is it in one person's name only?

They can both use the same card.

The only problem with that idea is if they go off in separate directions only one gets the card!

Thanks for the responses. They would only use the card at dinner, so the fact that they can share one card makes things easier. I'll go with one card (that will be their anniversary gift) and their Christmas gift will be a nice shipboard credit.

Thanks!

I have to comment on the wine card. I was on the last sailing of the Volendam and one of the guys in my party got a wine card on the second night and he during the cruise the wine steward rarely punched his wine card. He sure got quite a few free glasses of wine.

Robb

I have to comment on the wine card. I was on the last sailing of the Volendam and one of the guys in my party got a wine card on the second night and he during the cruise the wine steward rarely punched his wine card. He sure got quite a few free glasses of wine.

Robb

We only got two free glasses ... on the last night, after we had given the wine steward an envelope! :)

I brought my own wine and if it is like what some told me on the Westerdam, a pour on the wine card is about 1/2 glass full so a 20 punch card is about 10 normal glasses of wine just in case this helps.

Bob,

Just to set the record straight, a standard pour for a glass of wine is 5-6 oz. or 4-5 glasses of wine per bottle. If the glass used is of proper size, 8-12 oz, then if you are getting a 1/2 glass the pour is correct. It is incorect to fill a wine glass to near the top. 60 to 80% of the enjoyment of a glass of wine comes from the nose. If you fill the glass to near the top, it is almost impossible to get ones nose in to the glass to enjoy all of the wonderfull smells

Garardo

Reading about the wine card. This is our first Holland and never heard about this. Can you let us know the prices for the cards and do they include any Spumonti and Chablis. Thank you for taking the time to answer.

This is from the HAL site:

House pouring Wine Card for 20 glasses

This wine card is valid for 20 glasses of house pouring wine which includes Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, White Zinfandel and Sparkling Wine. $77.63

We think the Pinot Grigio is pretty good, and the Chardonnay is not bad. The $77.63 includes the 15% service charge.

Sounds like a good deal to me!!!! Just came off Celebrity Summit, where the cheapest glass of white wine was $6, but had an awful flavor. They didn't even let you know what brand it was. It was called Celebrity Chardonay. A pinot grigio bottle went for $30, tried a glass of it for $8 and then just gave up drinking wine the remainder of the cruise.:(

Bob,

Just to set the record straight, a standard pour for a glass of wine is 5-6 oz. or 4-5 glasses of wine per bottle. If the glass used is of proper size, 8-12 oz, then if you are getting a 1/2 glass the pour is correct. It is incorect to fill a wine glass to near the top. 60 to 80% of the enjoyment of a glass of wine comes from the nose. If you fill the glass to near the top, it is almost impossible to get ones nose in to the glass to enjoy all of the wonderfull smells

Garardo

You took the words right out of my mouth. I've always been taught that wine should be poured only to the widest part of the wine glass, which is normally the half way point.

Had a wonderful cruise on the Zaandam on October1st, and bought the wine card, in fact I bought two cards! Shame on me. They are a great deal, instead of $4.50 a pop the card brings it down to $3.34 (add 15 % to both prices for the tip). I also gave cash tips at the Ocean Bar and the Crows Nest, since the bartenders don't get credit for these pourings.

This is a good deal.

Let's drink to that!!!

DAG144 (a Happy Cruiser)

Just got off the Zuiderdam and didn't use up my 20 pour card. Buy the cards from a bartender rather than online - they get credit for it (and the bartender remembered me later).

The glass is a normal pour of wine - not skimpy or anything. I tried all the wines except the white zinfindel, and they were all acceptable. If you do the wine tasting at the Pinnacle Grill, you may find it hard to go back to the house wine.:D

On a different thread (something like "DO YOU EVER CHECK THE BIBLE?" people were saying they tuck their coffee or wine cards which still have a punch of two in the Bible in their cabins and it's a fun way to know a CC person was there before them.:) I thought that was a FUN idea and plan to do that after this.

I know there was a discussion about buying the card before the cruise or when you get onboard... are there pro and cons... does it really matter.

:rolleyes:

Or maybe can you get hooked up with some extra pours if you buy the card onboard...

I know there was a discussion about buying the card before the cruise or when you get onboard... are there pro and cons... does it really matter.

:rolleyes:

Or maybe can you get hooked up with some extra pours if you buy the card onboard...

I would suggest you buy it from the wine steward where you will be using it most often. It certainly makes a difference to the steward serving you, and if it makes him/her happier ... :)

On Volendam recently & wine steward NEVER mentioned the wine card, nor did anyone else -- 2 couples with us always ordered glass of wine at dinner (Mike & I had wine pkg.) -- finally 7th day our friends heard about the card from someone else & then asked wine steward about it. We were most disappointed with this lack of service!!!

My point: YOU MUST ASK about it, apparently!

My point: YOU MUST ASK about it, apparently!
Wasn't there a table set up in the terminal waiting room where they were selling soda cards, cocktail cards, and wine cards? Usually it is placed such that the line to board goes right past it.

We just got off the Zuiderdam on Saturday and had purchased a 20 glass wine card and felt it was a good value. The wine was not too bad. Beringer's Zin, the cab was actually not bad at all.

We also noticed a couple of evenings, the card did not always get punched or we did not get asked for our room number? Hmm, will have to see if it shows up on our bill at a later date.

The wine card is good anywhere throughout the ship, from the Vista Lounge to the Lido deck bar etc.

Have fun!

Archived