Formal Dress - Like it?

bUU

[quote name='ekerr19']NO it doesn't, LOL :D I'm dying here hammy !!!!! - 2nd best guffaw I've had all afternoon!!!!

Was it like the Sears Driving School? I think my older sister went to that one, lol!!![/quote]

I have not thought of this particular dark episode, in years.

Here I am reading about glam Trish's pre -debutante L&T thing and in the same era, Hammybee is being introduced to society, at Sears Robuck. :eek:

And you know, this darn well sums me, up in a nutshell.;)

Hammybee, normally I wouldn't repost Bicker's OP, but he seemed critical of those who responded to the original question saying that wasn't what he wanted to know.

I understand your point and it could have been good fun if Bicker hadn't suggested that somehow we all missed the point when in reality some of us might just have thought it not polite to mention how old it looked.

I think it would be extremely rude of anyone to have posted that we thought it appeared "dated". He said his wife was considering wearing it and what did everyone think.

If we posted we thought it was "dated" or "old", that would be rather insulting. So if he wanted to "demonstrate the value of asking a better question" he might have just posted the picture and asked what we thought without mentioning his wife.

My DH doesn't have a clue what I plan to wear formal night until I get dressed for dinner. Fortunately for me (and for him;) ) he's always happy with my choices.:) Maybe that's what 30 years does to a couple!!!:D

[quote name='FinelyRetired']I love the dress. And from your avitar, Mrs. Bicker is quite pretty and would look great.

Having said that, I agree with jhannah. I'm not sure I'd call it a Formal.

I'd suggest you "pop" over to the Fashion & Beauty thread and post the very same question, with the dress.

In about 1/2 day or less, you'll have 20 reply posts compared to the 3-4 of us hanging here on this thread!!! :rolleyes:

Martha[/QUOTE]

This was Post #10...early in the thread.

Well....you can lead a horse's to water........

I've been watching the Cruise Fashion & Beauty thread for a couple of days now waiting for him to post the dress and to see those "thoughtful" replies I knew he'd get from the Fashionistas.

He didn't post it there, he didn't really care. I'm so sorry, it could have been a lot of fun.

Martha

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida']Just to refresh everyone's memory, this is the Bicker's original post. The question was not "Do you think this looks dated?"[/quote]Folks can try to defend themselves, but I didn't ask, "Is it appropriate for formal night?" I labeled it, in the title of the thread, "Formal Dress". You know I've been here for years, and you know, from the threads many of us have posted in together in the past that I'm not a newbie, that I know what the criteria are for formal nights -- after all, how many times has hammybee posted them?

I explained in my second message why I didn't ask the question you wished I asked. I didn't want to make folks think about what I was concerned about -- I wanted to see if they came up with it themselves. As a matter of fact, right after I posted my second message, someone posted, "Now that you mention it..." So clearly, mentioning it had some impact.

No frequent poster in this forum can legitimately assert that they thought I was asking whether the dress was appropriate for formal night or not. Some folks simply wanted to use this thread as an excuse to make personal attacks on me.

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida'] If it makes no difference what anyone thinks (as he says above), then why ask the question?.:) Puzzled.:confused: [/quote]You perhaps missed some of my messages? I explained early in this thread why it does make a difference. Since no one noticed it was a vintage dress until I mentioned it, I feel confident that my initial instinct was wrong, and the dress doesn't really look that dated. Finding that out was, as I've already mentioned, the purpose of this thread. Mission was accomplished long before people started with the personal attacks against me.

[quote name='ekerr19']I just finally GOT it!!! YOU don't like the dress and don't want her to wear it, do you? [/quote]Rather, I wanted to validate or invalidate my concern. As I mentioned, the thread helped invalidate my concern.

[quote name='ekerr19']That's okay, but if she really likes it - trust me, say nothing other than how nice she looks. :) [/quote]Yes, this thread has also helped me understand that.

[quote name='hammybee']My sense is both Bickers post, here/there, under the same screen name. I enjoy figuring out which is which or maybe I am mistaken, and it's a time of day thing.[/quote]"Mrs. Bicker" doesn't post very often. She doesn't like the "atmosphere" online. :)

She reads a lot, though; I send her links to informational threads every day.

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida']I think it would be extremely rude of anyone to have posted that we thought it appeared "dated".[/quote]I disagree that that would be a major concern here. The comments people made instead prove definitively that (1) some people have no concern about being extremely rude, and (2) saying a dress appears "dated" is no where near as rude as saying it isn't "elegant", for example.

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida']So if he wanted to "demonstrate the value of asking a better question" he might have just posted the picture and asked what we thought without mentioning his wife.[/quote]I agree that this would have been a better question.

[quote name='FinelyRetired']He didn't post it there, he didn't really care. I'm so sorry, it could have been a lot of fun.[/quote]I post to one forum, only, at this point. Besides, by the time I read your message #10, I already had the answer I was looking for. Thanks though.

[quote name='hammybee']Too funny.
Between 8-9, I shot up about 5 inches and was beyond ackward. I am not sure my family heard of L&T. Instead, they shipped me off to the local Sears Charm School. It really does not get much better than this, now does it.:eek:

Day one, I fell off a platform, on a pivot turn and bloodied both knees. I eventually managed to perfect the Miss America wave, complete with soiled white gloves, though. :)

Three years later, hippies invaded the word and then there were no more white gloves.[/quote]

Oh Hammydear, I am wiping the tears of laughter from my eyes at the unGodly hour of 6am. Thanks for starting my day off right.:D Sears indeed!

[quote name='bicker']I post to one forum, only, at this point. Besides, by the time I read your message #10, I already had the answer I was looking for. Thanks though.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Your 4000+ posts are only in this forum? There are so many other great forums going on here on Cruisecritic.

I'd think you'd find the Cruise Fashions & Beauty forum right up your alley. Those women..and many men.... can be fierce over there. They've had two threads LOCKED in just the last 3 days!

Bicker, just to clarify, I didn't "wish" you asked anything. You can word the question any way you want, but once you brought Mrs Bicker into it, most people would feel uncomfortable posting that the dress looked "dated" (which to me it did and I'm a bit dated myself as you well know;) ).

While you're clearly not a newbie (and it wouldn't matter if you were), you are definitely a "newbie" to HAL having not yet set foot on one of their ships. So it really would be reasonable, though unlikely in your case, for you to ask an opinion about the dress.

No one on this thread personally attacked you. On the contrary, I thought everyone was very polite.

Bicker, since it's the age of the dress that concerned you, I still believe that no one said it looked old because they were being polite. The dress was sitting on a mannequin that goes back many years ... no one could possibly think it was a new dress presented in that way. And the style simply isn't current.

But that certainly doesn't mean that Mrs. B wouldn't look lovely in it. And if she likes it, she should wear it.:)

[quote name='bicker']My wife is considering picking up this dress for the formal nights on our upcoming cruise... what do folks think?

[IMG]http://www.tangerineboutique.com/images/swimsuits/1636orangehawaiiangowndet.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="4"]Love it!
Buy it![/SIZE][/FONT]

Aside from the "playful banter" that goes on in the life of these boards, I have to say that each person needs to wear what "feels right" to them.

As far as I know, Holland America doesn't have "fashion police" assigned to any of their ships. Yes, I do notice what people wear. However, I'm much more attuned to "what goes beyond the outfit."

People interpret "fashion" in different ways - it's "fun." I happen to love shoes, and have way too many pairs. If fact, I design my wardrobe around my footwear! ;)

However, I'm much more interested in what is going on past the garment.

It seems that Mr. Bicker has made the decision (and Mrs. Bicker) that they like the dress. In that case, they certainly don't need my (or anyone else's) approval. Buy, wear and enjoy...

I might be stepping out of the shark cage here, but ......I feel I have to say that I would NEVER EVER NEVER want my husband to post a picture of one of my dresses on this board and to ask posters for their opinions! I would never be able to show my face onboard wearing that dress unless it wasn't posted what cruise they were going on. Hopefully that tidbit of info wasn't mentioned.

Of course with anything, there are going to be those who like it and those who don't. Everybody has different tastes. So it was a risk. Personally, if she likes it, and it makes her feel good, then she should wear it.

[B][FONT=Arial Black]Mr. & Mrs. Bicker: It sure beats those plain, black dresses that have become so common on dress-up nights. We're going to a "Dress Up" Dinner, Not a "Funeral"! JMO! I think it's really neat!!!!;) [/FONT][/B]

[B][FONT=Arial Black]robertmnch:rolleyes: [/FONT][/B]

Archived