Formal Dress - Like it?

bUU

I also think, by his number of posts, that Mr. Bicker has cruised before and knows EXACTLY what is appropriate for formal nights.
Indeed I know that the dress is appropriate for formal night. I was asking about the style of it. There was something I was holding back, though, because I wanted to see if anyone would detect it -- and it was the source of my concern. However, since no one noticed, then I suspect my concern was unfounded:

The dress is vintage.

So my assumption is that either folks didn't notice that, or it was an aspect of the dress that either didn't matter to them or was a positive aspect.

Hi,

I thought the dress was pretty and different because of the material and style. Now that I know the dress is vintage, I like it even better. A vintage dress is most times one of a kind. I wear a pair of black fly-away-pants (I think that what you call them) on formal night with a top. I see lots of woman wearing them too! I see myself coming and going. With a vintage dress that will not happen. I love the dress and it would be fun to wear. Do you know if this is the dress's first cruise and/or did it sail a classic ocean liner? I would wear that dress in a flash.

Maria

Indeed I know that the dress is appropriate for formal night. I was asking about the style of it. There was something I was holding back, though, because I wanted to see if anyone would detect it -- and it was the source of my concern. However, since no one noticed, then I suspect my concern was unfounded:

The dress is vintage.

So my assumption is that either folks didn't notice that, or it was an aspect of the dress that either didn't matter to them or was a positive aspect.

As I indicated in my prior post, I'm not up on women's fashions. I know what I like, and to my eye that dress is very pretty. Now that I know that it's vintage, I like it even more. Ok, I admit it, I'm at atavist; I was born in the wrong century.

How vintage is it??

OK, I read on that the dress is "vintage." I, for one like "different" clothing styles - even though I'm a "boring basic black" kind of girl. ;)

If I'm not mistaken the floral print is orchids - very "HAL-ish." It's difficult to tell from the photo, but what is the material? For me, that makes evening wear "formal" more so that the design or print of the dress.

If the dress makes your wife feel beautiful (and keeps your eye on her all evening), that's all that matters. I wish I were a little more daring in my choice of evening wear, I almost purchased a taupe-gold color dress that matched my complexion and hair perfectly. However, I have tons of formal wear (I ballroom dance) and can't justify buying more.

My wife is considering picking up this dress for the formal nights on our upcoming cruise... what do folks think?

1636orangehawaiiangowndet.jpg

Cotton barkcloth is a "thicker" brand of cotton used quite extensively in Hawaiian retro clothing. The colors in the dress are attractive, and the hibiscus or orchids are nice. If you both like the dress, then "go for it." However, it's a little on the casual side for my taste and I'd probably wear it to a regular dinner. It was probably designed for an informal "island" cocktail party and/or luau. I'm sure it will be appropriate and look nice however your wife decides to wear it.

[quote name='bicker']Cotton barkcloth.[/quote]

[quote name='bicker']Indeed I know that the dress is appropriate for formal night. I was asking about the [I]style[/I] of it. There was something I was holding back, though, because I wanted to see if anyone would detect it -- and it was the source of my concern. However, since no one noticed, then I suspect my concern was unfounded:
[INDENT]The dress is vintage.
[/INDENT]So my assumption is that either folks didn't notice that, or it was an aspect of the dress that either didn't matter to them or was a positive aspect.[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling that many of us on these boards are "vintage", oopps I mean have vintage clothing. lol
Barbara

Everything my children wear is "vintage". I'm spending $100s on Clarks and Sperrys and Izods and wondering what my parent's did with the same identical stuff I left in my drawers and closets when I moved out?... IT ALL COMES BACK!!! In saying this, my Mom never threw out her own stuff and is pulling it back out to wear now as it is all now back IN! I love vintage as the style is the same, but no one will have the identical item!!!

[quote name='silvercruiser']Since most cruises have an Island Night or Caribbean Night, I think your dress would be wonderful for those occasions.[/quote]Those nights are typical casual nights, and that dress is much too much for a casual night. Thanks though.

[quote name='bicker']Those nights are typical casual nights, and that dress is much too much for a casual night. Thanks though.[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Although the dress won't be out of place on a formal night, silvercruiser is right that it's wonderful for a smart casual night---at least from what can be seen via a picture. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]The material and pattern in the fabric lends itself beautifully for a Caribbean or Hawaiian night. The only thing really dressy about it is the rhinestone brooch. Add some simple diamond jewelry, or slightly flashier rhinestone earrings/lavaliere and it's truly "smart"casual. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I agree that no one should be concerned about wearing something that dressy on smart casual nights, if they wish. From my wife's perspective, since it is a dress, it's not really casual. YMMV.

Am I the only person who didn't get the attraction of the whole "vintage" clothing rage? Can someone explain it, perhaps, to me?

[quote name='bicker']I agree that no one should be concerned about wearing something that dressy on smart casual nights, if they wish. From my wife's perspective, since it is a dress, it's not really casual. YMMV.

Am I the only person who didn't get the attraction of the whole "vintage" clothing rage? Can someone explain it, perhaps, to me?[/QUOTE]

Explain Fashion trends??

I think it would be easier to describe the appearance of a fifth-dimensional pyramid in infrared, to blind man who only speaks Euskara... :D ;)

[B]:) Vintage. It is only IMO, what is old is new again. :D

Vintage to me means recycled. Recycling is fine if that is what one likes in their clothing. I have things left in my closet from back when and to me they're old but there must be something about them that I liked well enough to hold onto all these years.

If your DW wears that pretty sundress on formal night, I'm sure you'll think her beautiful. She certainly will be dressed attractively but not necessarily a traditional formal. It would fit HAL's lessened definition, I suppose.

[/B]

Here I naively thought you honestly didn't know if it would be appropriate and were seeking "advice"...

It never occurred to me that the basis for the thread was to "test" us as to determing the "age" of the garment... :o

I fell for it - my bad.

It definitely isn't "too" much for casual nights.

Archived