T.p. Cruisers To Alaska 2008 - Kodiak?

Aussie Gal

I am wondering what you are doing when you get to Kodiak. We are booked on the 4th Sept cruise on the T.P. and I have been working through all our ports but have come to a stumbling block with Kodiak.

We were hoping to see the bears but on reading through old posts, they are hidden and are a long way from the port. Have you come across any private tour operators or anything of interest to do other than visit the town etc.

I look forward to any suggestions.

Jennie

I spent three days on Kodiak this summer - rent a car, visit the town brewery, go out to the old WWII fort, hike, picnic on the beach if it's a nice day, eat seafood at one of the restauraunts, visit the NOAA lab, etc. There's really a lot to do.

Thanks wolfie 11. I was hoping to see some wildlife or perhaps take a cruise as we will never return that way again.

Even Princess doesn't seem to offer a lot. I may wait until all the cruisers, who are on the T.P. earlier than us, return from their visit and see what they ended up doing.

Jennie

With a short port stop, you won't see much. And IMHO, I don't think there is much to see. Been there two times-DH goes fishing, I am bored. Been to the old WWII stuff, sat on the beach, wandered around town. I still question the wisdom of the Kodiak port stop-dumping 700 people in a place where there is not a lot to do as far as organized tours. Kodiak is pristine wilderness-best seen in a 2/3 day trip, with a very small group of people. I wonder what the future impact on the Island will be with all the cruise pax.

Unless you make some VERY expensive (about $800pp) arrangements with a private operator to take you to the North East side of the island (where the Kodiak bears fish all the time), you can contact Kingfisher Aviation.

They fly to Frazer Lake on an organized tour. They also fly to the Katmai coast (which is NOT Kodiak). But if you want to see grizzly, you are there the PERFECT time. But it will take a flight to get you to the bears. The bears in Katmai will be much more accessible, as they are all on the shore sucking up the salmon. The Kodiak bears are much harder to see and more costly as a general rule.

http://www.kingfisheraviation.com/beartours.html

• 3 months later...

Any other thoughts for Kodiak?

We are considering a small boat excursion for birds/whales/wildlife, but it is rather expensive (close to 300/pp) so would love to hear feedback from previous kodiak visitors.

Were also considering renting a van/cars and doing a little exploraion on our own...seems like there are few options for hiking/exploring, and it might be a nice change of pace from the small boat excursions (which we will also be doing in Valdez, Sitka, Victoria, and possibly Juneau and Seward as well!)

Thanks!

Kodiak is very frequently fogged or weathered in. I can believe it is a cruise port stop!

Kodiak is one place in Alaska where I have never seen bears.....gratefully!

If it is foggy, chilly and dark, I can't imagine it being a 'fun' place at all!

Whale Watcher,

Are you going on the Tahitian Princess and if so which date? We are on the 4th September and we have a Roll Call going if you are interested in joining it.

Jennie

We are thinking of June...

I am excited about the prospect of visiting an "off the beaten track" port, even if the weather is foggy and the excursion options limited; we would be happy just to have a day to drive around a bit and explore, or do some hiking on our own. Bears are not high priority for us (we have black bears frequently in our yard at home, and have sean Brown and Grizzlies on previous trips).

The Moon Handbook for Alaska mentions some local hiking trails, so we might just strike out on our own and see what we can come up with.

Whale Watcher,

Are you going on the Tahitian Princess and if so which date? We are on the 4th September and we have a Roll Call going if you are interested in joining it.

Jennie

4th Sept. is really late in the season for Kodiak! You will see the locals settling in for the long winter.

I still question the wisdom of the Kodiak port stop-dumping 700 people in a place where there is not a lot to do as far as organized tours. Kodiak is pristine wilderness-best seen in a 2/3 day trip, with a very small group of people. I wonder what the future impact on the Island will be with all the cruise pax.

Isn't that kind of like going to Icy Strait Point, except the boatloads of people are much larger?

Isn't that kind of like going to Icy Strait Point, except the boatloads of people are much larger?

Not in the least.

Hoonah is not that far from Juneau, Glacier Bay and there is a large fish processing plant outside town. So the traffic/people/cargo ships/barges are already there. The town just wanted more industry, so made arrangements to be a cruise ship stop.

About the only traffic to Kodiak are planes (most trips flown by locals for their personal business) and the Alaska ferry (which is also used extensively by locals).

There is truly NO tourist infrastructure for large groups of people. Just wait-another place that was special and TRUE ALASKA becomes ho-hum and touristy. As Chilkoot posted, the people this year are lucky. IF these tours continue, the island becomes a junk souvenir place, much like the other Alaska ports.

I always kind of thought you go to Alaska to see unspoiled beauty. Zip lines through the forest just don't cut it in my book.

I always kind of thought you go to Alaska to see unspoiled beauty. Zip lines through the forest just don't cut it in my book.

I checked to see what excursions RCI offers in ISP. Besides the expected fishing trips and whale watches, which I've read are great, you can zipline and do ATV excursions. I guess you have to do something when 2000+ cruise passengers unload there on a regular basis

After looking over all the possibilities on the link below, we have decided to rent a car (about $150/day for a full sized SUV from Budget) and go exploring...we will need a low-keyed day for at least one of our ports (and have very full agendas for Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Valdez, and Seward..still working on Sitka and Victoria).

Anyone know approximately how far the airport is from the dock area?

http://kodiakisland.net/100things.html

After looking over all the possibilities on the link below, we have decided to rent a car (about $150/day for a full sized SUV from Budget) and go exploring...we will need a low-keyed day for at least one of our ports (and have very full agendas for Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Valdez, and Seward..still working on Sitka and Victoria).

I assume you'll be docked at a Pier close to town, which is 4 or 5 miles from the airport.

Being from a desert state, I was amazed just driving through town and seeing all of the crab pots in everyone's yard! I spent most of my time fishing on the Buskin or "stuck" on the Ayakulik River on my trips there. But, I managed to squeeze in a trip to Ft. Abercrombie & Fossil Beach. I'm glad I did both of those things.

Pick up some Kodiak Solstix (Salmon Jerky) while your there.

I assume you'll be docked at a Pier close to town, which is 4 or 5 miles from the airport.

Being from a desert state, I was amazed just driving through town and seeing all of the crab pots in everyone's yard! I spent most of my time fishing on the Buskin or "stuck" on the Ayakulik River on my trips there. But, I managed to squeeze in a trip to Ft. Abercrombie & Fossil Beach. I'm glad I did both of those things.

Pick up some Kodiak Solstix (Salmon Jerky) while your there.

Thanks...I did a little more checking, and it turns out that Budget also has a location on Marine Way, which seems to be a lot closer to the dock (and also has a free pickup service). They don't open until 9am, but that will give us some time to walk around town and pick up some Salmon Jerky to snack on before driving out to Fossil Beach.:)

While you are at the airport, look at the layout of the runway. I won't spoil the surpirse, but it is why people in Kodiak tend to drink more than a bit.

$150 for a rental is not a bad deal on Kodiak.

We will still drive out to the Airport to take a look...sounds intriguing. We are happy with 150/day (especially with the princess half day boat trip costing close to 300/pp, and there are 6 of us). Did you have any favorite haunts on the Island when you visited?...thanks

I didn't visit for fun, I was working! We worked long and hard hours often sleeping on the floor of the office so we could get done and out of there.

I did go to the WWII history museum and enjoyed that. We hunted around for meals and shopping. If you find something you need, buy it at the first sighting as there may not be a 2nd.

I was there in Sept. The weather was wet and foggy. Always foggy! That is why it is said that the Japanese didn't bomb Kodiak to bits during WWII, they couldn't find it! We would stay in town until word came that our plane had landed and we went to the airport. Those were the days! No TSA!

The word would come that the plane had landed. It was like Fantasy Island. The Plane! The Plane!

You will have an usual experience. Kodiak is unique! They don't get thousands of visitors. People go their for fishing and nature. You will have Alaskan stories to tell that are all yours! No one will compete with your trip!

While you are at the airport, look at the layout of the runway. I won't spoil the surpirse, but it is why people in Kodiak tend to drink more than a bit.

$150 for a rental is not a bad deal on Kodiak.

The "new" runway isn't that bad to take off from. I believe we were on the first commercial flight to use it. We sat on the runway for HOURS waiting for FAA approval to use it! But, we got an ice cream for our trouble ;) Without that runway, we weren't going anywhere (again).

Thanks...I did a little more checking, and it turns out that Budget also has a location on Marine Way, which seems to be a lot closer to the dock (and also has a free pickup service). They don't open until 9am, but that will give us some time to walk around town and pick up some Salmon Jerky to snack on before driving out to Fossil Beach.:)

If you're headed out towards Pasagshak bay anyway... You might be interested in checking into a visit to Alaska Aerospace Development Kodiak Launch Complex. I have no idea what you could see or even if a visit is possible. But, it something that would interest me.

You can also order a visitors guide from http://www.kodiak.org/visitor_guide.html

If you're headed out towards Pasagshak bay anyway... You might be interested in checking into a visit to Alaska Aerospace Development Kodiak Launch Complex. I have no idea what you could see or even if a visit is possible. But, it something that would interest me.

You can also order a visitors guide from http://www.kodiak.org/visitor_guide.html

thanks for the idea, as well as for the link....I just ordered my visitors guide:)

With a short port stop, you won't see much. And IMHO, I don't think there is much to see. Been there two times-DH goes fishing, I am bored. Been to the old WWII stuff, sat on the beach, wandered around town. I still question the wisdom of the Kodiak port stop-dumping 700 people in a place where there is not a lot to do as far as organized tours. Kodiak is pristine wilderness-best seen in a 2/3 day trip, with a very small group of people. I wonder what the future impact on the Island will be with all the cruise pax.

Unless you make some VERY expensive (about $800pp) arrangements with a private operator to take you to the North East side of the island (where the Kodiak bears fish all the time), you can contact Kingfisher Aviation.

They fly to Frazer Lake on an organized tour. They also fly to the Katmai coast (which is NOT Kodiak). But if you want to see grizzly, you are there the PERFECT time. But it will take a flight to get you to the bears. The bears in Katmai will be much more accessible, as they are all on the shore sucking up the salmon. The Kodiak bears are much harder to see and more costly as a general rule.

http://www.kingfisheraviation.com/beartours.html

Who does you DH go fishing with? There is a very expensive cruise ship tour for fly-in river fishing excursion for salmon - two different rivers. Is Kodiak a good place for that? Being from Florida, he is a big gulf fisherman, but has never done river fishing.

I checked the kingfisher website earlier - and yes, it seems like at the time we will be there, early July, they don't go to Katmai so I'm not sure if we will see bears. So don't think I won't to pay the $$.

Whale Watcher - what are you going to do in Valdez? That is another of those ports not visited by a lot of cruise ships so there is not a lot of info. Are you booking all your port trips independently are some thru TP. You have been very busy - I barely have time to get to the boards. I have to get busy and get things booked but work seems to keep getting in the way.

Archived