Cellphone in Alaska - Is this possible?

boten

OK, Here's our problem:

We'll come from Israel to Alaska. It MIGHT be possible to take our cellphone with us but using it in Alaska to call in Alaska ("local") involves ridiculous charges (here they calculate it as both calling from AK to Israel AND from Israel to AK).

I've read that it is possible to buy a cellphone with no monthly payment and no commitment. Just buy the phone with a fixed number of minutes and possibly re-charge it with minutes when they are all used up.

1) Is this available for purchase in Anchorage to be used anywhere in Alaska?

2) Can it be used in the Yukon?

3) How do we "re-charge" it when all minutes are used?

4) Can we keep it and use it in the lower 48 too?

5) Where can we find it in Anchorage? (on a Sunday)

Walmart sells TracFones:

http://www.tracfone.com/index.jsp

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=trac+phone&search_constraint=0&ic=24_0&ref=+500500.4293901735

Hopefully someone can tell you if there is a Walmart in Anchorage.

There is a Walmart in ANC in mid-town, near many of the hotels. There may be more, but this is the one I'm familiar with.

Thanks for your replies. However, I looked at the WalMart site for a TracFone, entered the zip code for the Anchorage WalMart store and got this message:

Warning: The following cell phone model is not operable in the ZIP code you've entered, 99515. We do not currently offer cell phones for your area

Anyone has first hand experience to the contrary? Any Alaskan using such a phone?

I know this is not what you are asking but have you considered using a wi fi phone in a hotspot/internet cafe?

I am from Alaska and my business offers customers use of a wi fi phone for a small fee. Once you get the phone (rent it in house) you can call anywhere in the world without concern of " ridiculous charges".

Just an option.

:)

1) Is this available for purchase in Anchorage to be used anywhere in Alaska?

You should be able to find several wireless stores in Anchorage that sell pay as you go phones. Try searching with Yahoo Yellow Pages, finding a store near your hotel, or the nearest Walmart/Fred Meyer sort of store.

3) How do we "re-charge" it when all minutes are used?

Refill cards for some companies are sold in places like gas stations. Not sure about Tracfone.

2) Can it be used in the Yukon?

I live in Southeast AK, so don't take my word as the final word, but from driving through British Columbia and the lower corner of the Yukon, something to bear in mind is that there won't be cell coverage for areas other than right near towns. In SE, people use satellite phones when out on the water or in the woods. I assume the same is true in parts of the Yukon.

Perhaps Murray will reply?

4) Can we keep it and use it in the lower 48 too?

It looks like Tracfone can be used in other states. There are a few companies that only serve AK, so be sure to ask if you need it for other areas.

5) Where can we find it in Anchorage? (on a Sunday)

Sunday shopping shouldn't be a problem in Anchorage. Smaller stores may not open until mid-morning, and may close earlier, but any sort of wireless store should be open.

Sea-level, wifi won't do as we'll probably need it on the road.

bearbait, if Tracfone worked for you it'll probably work for us too. We can afford $15 for a phone + some air time for emergencies.

If you do a search on Tracfone on this forum, you will see that it worked in several places where our usual cell phone companies did not work. It also seems to work in Vancouver.

Will I get a Verizon signal (at least in Anchorage, Fairbanks, Denali, Valdez and the cruise ship ports), even if it's just a roaming signal?

Thanks,

I can't answer for Verizon - sorry - but for ATT, I got excellent signal strength between ANC, Denali, Chitina, Valdez, Whittier, Homer and Seward.

The signal was by no means constant; it would come and go. But I was very impressed with what I got, often in the middle of nowhere.

As far as the panhandle ports, I got excellent signal, even up on Mt Roberts in Juneau and at Upper Dewey Lake in Skagway.

Will I get a Verizon signal (at least in Anchorage, Fairbanks, Denali, Valdez and the cruise ship ports), even if it's just a roaming signal?

Thanks,

If you are on their national plan, you will get free roaming from Verizon's partners. At least you will have signal at Anchorage, Juneau and Ketchikan. Be careful, don't make call from the ship when ship is docksed at Pier. You might be using the cruise ship's tower. That charge will be very expensive.

Thanks,

Verizon works very well in Alaska. Just don't use it on the ship, very far from the ship (like on a flightseeing trip) and don't use it in Canada.

Verizon cell service in Alaska has improved TREMENDOUSLY in the last couple of years. However, there are quite a few small local cell providers in Alaska that DO NOT have roaming agreements with Verizon. The bills can be astronomical.

And on the ship, you will not only pay for the ship charges (for using the ship cell tower), but Verizon tacks on another $2.49 per minute. Usage with Verizon on the ship can run as high as $6.00 per minute, depending on location.

You will be fine using Verizon on the ground in port stops and most other places in Alaska.

I do recommend the tracphone. We've used one several times and found the reception to be awesome. You can add minutes on the go (as long as you pre-register on their website.)

We found reception to be exceptional ~ I checked the site and it does work in Alaska. I am sure there may be remote spots (away from cities) where noone has cell service, and that might be a beautiful thing :) But because they don't own their own cellular transmitters - frankly, I found service to be better than other carriers.

blurb from their website:

TracFone is renowned for offering the best coverage of any cell phone provider. Our signals are carried on the towers of over 30 major carriers around the US, so it stands to reason that we can offer you service in the Zip Code where you live and use your phone. The only way to tell for sure is to enter your Zip Code at the
, and we'll tell you which phone and service are available.

You can also use for International long distance service:

The only wireless service where you can call internationally for the same price as any other call.

circle.gif

Call over 60 international destinations directly from your TracFone at no extra cost!

circle.gif

You don't need to activate this service, just start by calling 1-800-706-3839 now!

We purchased ours at RadioShack http://www.radioshack.com/sm-motorola-c139-from-tracfone--pi-2289597.html

Not sure if this link will work - but here are several stores in Anchorage Videl Inc and Ultimate Electronics (RadioShack).

I feel like I've seen another brand for prepaid cell phone, but don't recall the name. Here is a link that may help you as well:

http://cellphones.about.com/od/prepaid_phones/qt/plan_chooser.htm

Thanks,

We have Cingular/ATT but I bet Verizon is the same. We had signals most everywhere we went in AK including Anchorage, Denali, Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, Whittier, etc. We did not make it to Fiarbanks or Valdez, but I am sure it will be fine in at least Fairbanks. We did not have Roaming charges anywhere except Vancouver.

Be careful on the ship. Some of the ships now have their own cell towers and they have fairly high roaming charges, so make sure you pick up a land tower if you are close to port. I am not sure when they have to turn theirs off when coming into port.

Archived