Can I drive from Vancouver to Seattle?

CBowling

Thinking of driving from Vancouver to Seattle to fly home. Does anyone have any experience in doing this? How is customs? How long does it take? Is there a hassle renting a car out of the country and returning it in U.S.? Can you rent a car at the ship?

Any info will be appreciated.

I've done this many times, including this year. I have rented from Avis, Alamo, National and Budget. I go with the cheapest, there is also Hertz. You will want to book a downtown Vancouver Pick up. There are a few that do have cars at Canada Place, but sometimes, although they list them there, they are elsewhere, and they shuttle you. I walk to each of the downtown offices, very doable with no luggage and no mobility limitations. Then come back and pick up.

As for time- forget driving unless you are only considering the overnight flights out of Seattle. You will not likely make anything before 4pm, for a sure thing. You need to allow 4 hours, any delays will add time.

If you cross in Blaine, you can end up in significant lines- especially if you get lost getting out of Vancouver- no freeways, all stop and go city driving, get a late start etc. I know my way around and can get going by self disembarking and getting an early start. Most people don't- so time is needed.

If I'm later going, I cross in Lynden, which has significantly less lines than Blaine- when backed up, a longer route but can be quicker.

The US border post at Blaine (Peace Arch crossing) is being remodeled with a significant albeit temporary reduction in volume - apparently this will last for a year or more (started this month.) Warnings are out for extremely long waits during peak periods.

I would use the truck/Pacific Highway, Lynden, or Sumas crossings for the foreseeable...

For the first time in 3 years, I have found Vancouver airfare to be only slightly higher than Seattle airfare, negating the reason we always fly Seattle. However, if you do end up with a rental or have a late flight, Vancouver's Stanley Park is a wonderful place to spend some time.

We've rented Vancouver to Seattle, very little hassle at the border with all documentation in order. The (one and only we'll ever take!) bus transfer was much more trouble.

Amtrak is my favorite transfer option, but we've yet to use it for any southbound transfers since it leaves so late in the day.

For the first time in 3 years, I have found Vancouver airfare to be only slightly higher than Seattle airfare, negating the reason we always fly Seattle.

Wow, we are not finding that at all - not saying you aren't telling the truth, but we were pricing airfare out of Vancouver and out of Seattle to fly to Fort Lauderdale, and Seattle is cheaper by $300.00 per person! That is significant, so we're driving to Seattle to fly out.

Celebrity offers transfers from Vancouver to Seattle Sea Tac for $65.

We were told not to book any flights before 2pm. Check with your cruise company to see if they too offer transfers.

This timeframe is NOT recommended. I still suggest nothing before 4pm. There were reports of people missing 2 pm flights this season. AND with it being cruise ship day- you are not likely to have any open stand by space available.

Wow, we are not finding that at all - not saying you aren't telling the truth, but we were pricing airfare out of Vancouver and out of Seattle to fly to Fort Lauderdale, and Seattle is cheaper by $300.00 per person! That is significant, so we're driving to Seattle to fly out.

Two weeks ago while checking airfare for friends considering a May Coral Princess NB, we found the difference from Oklahoma City to Seattle vs. Vancouver to be $47pp. Of course, an hour later, this may have changed...:)

We usually fly Seattle with transfers, too, finding the difference more in line with what you've found!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The poster was referring to flights FROM their city to YVR. Fares from YVR to the US are not the same as from the US to YVR. Thus the reason you don't see the same relatively small difference.

Even from various cities in the US to YVR compared to SEA the fares can vary greatly.

Expect all crossings to be 3 hrs+ as the Canadians are coming down to WA State to buy groceries, clothing, furniture and gas as their taxes are sky high to pay for their health care. 3 weeks ago I crossed at Aldergrove and it was 3 hours plus to get through. The Canadians let their fellow Canadians cut in line in front of us. And then the crowder lets other Canadians in. Even though, here in Washington, we have the highest gas tax in the nation, our gas prices are 1/2 of that in BC. It is only 98 miles to Seattle. Average Gas price is $3.46 now in WA. I don't think renting a car and trying to make your flight before 3PM would be a good idea,

It takes Canadians 3 to 4 times longer than Americans with passports in clearing customs when entering United States. There has been a 50% increase of Canadians coming into Washington State in the last year due to the reason in the above message. That is the main reason why the crossings are clogged up. If renting a car and driving down to SeaTac, make your plane reservations after 4 PM. Take Budget Queens advise amd enjoy the side trips going down to Seattle.

Just to repeat (from another thread) Amtrak will be starting a second daily train, possibly by next summer, between Vancouver and Seattle. The aim is to have everything de-bugged and working before the 2010 Winter Olympics, but the buzz is that they'd love to have it working in time for the end of the 2008 cruise season as well as all of the 2009. It would have a morning or early afternoon departure from Vancouver (probably late enough to make cruise transfers work) and an early evening departure from Seattle.

Obviously not bookable yet, but out there on the radar. If planning to drive, you might monitor the situation; if it starts in time for your trip, you could cancel the car and book the train instead.

Either way, it's unlikely the train would allow same-day connections to flights to the east, as those need to depart early in the day to allow for the time changes and to permit connections to non-hub airports.

I've done this many times, including this year. I have rented from Avis, Alamo, National and Budget. I go with the cheapest, there is also Hertz. You will want to book a downtown Vancouver Pick up. There are a few that do have cars at Canada Place, but sometimes, although they list them there, they are elsewhere, and they shuttle you. I walk to each of the downtown offices, very doable with no luggage and no mobility limitations. Then come back and pick up.

As for time- forget driving unless you are only considering the overnight flights out of Seattle. You will not likely make anything before 4pm, for a sure thing. You need to allow 4 hours, any delays will add time.

If you cross in Blaine, you can end up in significant lines- especially if you get lost getting out of Vancouver- no freeways, all stop and go city driving, get a late start etc. I know my way around and can get going by self disembarking and getting an early start. Most people don't- so time is needed.

If I'm later going, I cross in Lynden, which has significantly less lines than Blaine- when backed up, a longer route but can be quicker.

DO you find the rates online or do you call them directly? We rented in Seattle five years ago and got a good price, but every rental I'm finding online now is quite expensive. We are going to Alaska in June, but we do want to spend time with our DD and SIL in Seattle coming and going.

Expect all crossings to be 3 hrs+ as the Canadians are coming down to WA State to buy groceries, clothing, furniture and gas as their taxes are sky high to pay for their health care. 3 weeks ago I crossed at Aldergrove and it was 3 hours plus to get through. The Canadians let their fellow Canadians cut in line in front of us. And then the crowder lets other Canadians in. Even though, here in Washington, we have the highest gas tax in the nation, our gas prices are 1/2 of that in BC. It is only 98 miles to Seattle. Average Gas price is $3.46 now in WA. I don't think renting a car and trying to make your flight before 3PM would be a good idea,

When you say 3 hrs are you talking about 3hrs at the border or for the whole trip. Forgive my ignorance but I'm from Australia and just starting to research a trip doing Alaska, Canada and some of the north western states of the US.

On your other point about gas prices - I would rather have affordable health care than cheap gas. probably because I'm a nurse and I think that buying gas is a choice and health care is not.

When you say 3 hrs are you talking about 3hrs at the border or for the whole trip. Forgive my ignorance but I'm from Australia and just starting to research a trip doing Alaska, Canada and some of the north western states of the US.

On your other point about gas prices - I would rather have affordable health care than cheap gas. probably because I'm a nurse and I think that buying gas is a choice and health care is not.

Up to 3 hours at the crossing.

DO you find the rates online or do you call them directly? We rented in Seattle five years ago and got a good price, but every rental I'm finding online now is quite expensive. We are going to Alaska in June, but we do want to spend time with our DD and SIL in Seattle coming and going.

Online- expect rates of $125/day and up.

Just to repeat (from another thread) Amtrak will be starting a second daily train, possibly by next summer, between Vancouver and Seattle.

That is thrilling! I love taking the train to/from Vancouver; we even took amtrak to and from our Alaskan honeymoon cruise out of BC!

Two weeks ago while checking airfare for friends considering a May Coral Princess NB, we found the difference from Oklahoma City to Seattle vs. Vancouver to be $47pp. Of course, an hour later, this may have changed...:)

We usually fly Seattle with transfers, too, finding the difference more in line with what you've found!!!

sys1966~I saw your post on this thread and wanted to get more info. We too are flying out of OKC in June for our cruise out of Vancouver but were thinking we would fly into/back from SEA and probably take the train over to Vancouver.

Not sure which airline you were looking at but I would like to know. We are used to paying low fares on SW and right now I can get a flight from OKC to SEA for $373 RT pp to SEA. The dates I'm checking are not the actual dates of travel because SW schedule is not open through June which is when we are going. So I know this can change and most likely will. But the fares to YVR were $500-$600. Even the SW fares for $373 are high and more than I have ever paid for a flight. I am sure without a doubt that once the schedule opens up for my travel times, that there will come a $99 each way fare for SEA on SW, so I am holding out for that.

Ok ,we Live in the Vancouver area and never have waited 3hrs to cross the border at Aldergrove.If you crossed during the thanksgiving weekend what did you expect I'm not sure what you are talking about Canadians taking 3 to 4 times long at customs as Americans? We pass through customs as fast as any one esle. Gas is nowhere near twice as much as yours,it is more but not double.

The wait at the border depends really on what day it is.During the week not so bad weekends are much busier .More Canadians are shopping in Washington,but mostly due to the parity of the dollars. I doubt the Bellingham merchants are complaining about the extra sales.

If you don't know the area I would not rent a car but would take a shuttle of some sort, our road system sucks

Archived