Belize Must Have More Than----

elou

Mayan ruins, water activities and cave tubbing. I'm in my 60's and sightseeing solo (mom doesn't like sightseeing). Need to go with ship tours. Anyone do any tour of the City. What about Nature' Paradise or even the Jungle Buggy and Mayan Cave Exploration? HELP PLEASE.

We called there on the Explorer.

We did the city tour.

The first half of the tour was on a golf cart, taking 6. It went to the Cathedral ( a very small church , although very nice) and then met up half way with the horse and cart.

The 2nd part went through the wealthier part of Belize City and stopped off at the museum. this was very interesting and could have spent longer.

The first part was awful and should have been missed out altogether but no problem with the Carriage ride.

There are a few duty free shops at the pier, the ship anchored way out in the bay and large tenders took us in on the 20 minute ride.

I would say ok i;ve been, but it is not a stop i would look out for on another cruise.

we did the city tour in oct. it was better than the cozumel tour, but not worth the money. really not a lot to see. i think that will be our last cruise for a while. ports were changed, rained all day in roatan (only place we had not been) & freeport is a nothing port. we are going to a resort in cancun next month. at least i will know where i am.

Mayan ruins, water activities and cave tubbing. I'm in my 60's and sightseeing solo (mom doesn't like sightseeing). Need to go with ship tours. Anyone do any tour of the City. What about Nature' Paradise or even the Jungle Buggy and Mayan Cave Exploration? HELP PLEASE.

I don't know what your health is...but the cave tubing is not that hard. A bit of a walk but my Brother in his 60's did it fine. Another lady in our group who is very large I'd guess to say she is over 300lbs and very close to 60 did it also.

The ruins are not to bad unless you climb to the top but you don't have to go up and even healthy people were a huffin and a puffin.

We took some kind of river tour while we were there ... took a small boat out on the bay and then down a river ... it was very nice and from there we had lunch at a local restaurant and went to a Mayan museum. The whole experience was terrific ... at the time we had small kids (the youngest wasn't even 2 yet) and wanted to do something off the ship that wasn't overly adventurous where we could see the culture and the sights a little bit. We learned a ton about the country and culture, had great food, and a beautiful boat ride. Don't remember the name of the tour ... it was a few years ago ... but I'd be surprised if it isn't still offered.

The last time we were there we took a speed boat over to the island of San Pedro. The island is a fishing village and is very quaint. There are some resorts there. We just walked down the beach there and found one. It was very quiet....there was a beach bar......a nice souvenir shop. We had a very nice day. The boat picks you up right at the ship. I would do that again.

We did the airboat excursion and it was great. Saw a lot of wildlife and birds. The drive out to the place took us through Belize City and as the guide pointed out the "nice" part of the city I was thinking most Americans would turn up their noses at these houses. To the poster that said they wanted to see a better part of the city, I don't think there is one. But the people there are very friendly and welcoming. I thought the shopping area at the dock area was quite extensive, if a little repititious.

Belize has a very nice little zoo. Sometimes the ship tours include this.

Our only time in Belize we went to the zoo and it was actually pretty nice. If I remember right it is quite a ways from the tendering pier. BTW- we did the excursion on our own.

We get off the tender turn left, walk down the shopping district. The girls leave us at the "Wet Lizard". We sit outside on the 2nd floor, smoke good cigars, drink good beer and eat snacks. When the girls get thru shopping we get back on tender and go back to ship....great day.

My husband and I did a beach buggy tour and we are in our late 40's and 50's and he still says that was the best excursion we ever went on. Besides the beach we went on these dirt roads and he stopped often and gave us the history and stories of what happened in the areas.

We get off the tender turn left, walk down the shopping district. The girls leave us at the "Wet Lizard". We sit outside on the 2nd floor, smoke good cigars, drink good beer and eat snacks. When the girls get thru shopping we get back on tender and go back to ship....great day.

Hey there neighbor! Buford, GA here! I am a girl who hates shopping so I like your plan (well, except for the cigars:D ).

We did the Jungle Buggy... The guide was the best part of the tour. You basically do a loop around a mud track. You don't see any lush forest or animals. You do stop in a cave which involves climbing. I would choose another tour. This is not a very good one. Very disappointing.

Keep in mind that Belize is the capital of the poorest, most depressed country in Central America; at one time it was British Honduras and very little progress has been made economically since those days. It has also taken several serious hurricane hits and floodings. The per capita income is one of the lowest. If you keep these facts in mind and look at the "city" through those perspectives, you may enjoy your stay, but you will leave, forever grateful that you do not live in similar circumstances.:)

I've never heard a complaint about cave tubing........but in 2005 I heard about a cool trip to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye (pronounced "key"). It's on the largest barrier reef second to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.

First let me tell you that I verified EVERYTHING with the Belize Tourist people where the ship's tenders drop you off in Belize City.

Taxi to local Belize City airport, flight on a very well maintained 10 passanger aircraft and after a 20 minute flight you're in very cool San Pedro with neat shops, sandy streets, plenty of places to get a drink or seafood and the beach is quiet and short walk from the plane. The taxi and plane folks know you're with a cruise and will take care of your return with plenty of time. Finally a return on Maya Air and my cab driver Erique was waiting for me. Total (taxi and flights R/T) .....$52 USD.......cheap and one of the greatest trips I've ever taken.

Adventerous but I'll do it again. I returned with over an hour to spare (sucking down Belikan beers at the tender area). I think the key is to get going ashore and off to Ambergris Caye as soon as you're in port.

Yes.....San Pedro....that's exactly where we went on the RCI excursion on the speed boat. I remember a bunch of people from the ship came over by plane. They said it was great. I thought the place was really neat. A lot of people go there to spend a couple of weeks of vacation. I don't know if I would do that but I would definitely go back there on an excursion.

Make sure you hear the story about the pirates and the coral reef. You will anchor a long way out because of the reef and when you leave, the ship will pull out very very slow. You can look over board and see the path of the reef through the clear water. It was amazing. Also, if you do a tour, try to sit by the tour guide and ask alot of questions. We had a guide that was willing to talk about the people, history, and even the politics.(even the politics about the cruise lines that can visit Belize) LOL;) Take advantage of getting to visit this port. There is a wealth of knowledge that is both entertaining and interesting. It makes me sad when people say that Belize was the worst part of there cruise, or to stay on the ship. :( A little planning, there is something for everyone to do in Belize.

We went horseback riding over Thanksgiving and had a wonderful time. It was a private excursion but we had no trouble meeting our ship deadlines. We loved Belize!

Did your excursion have horseback riding on the beach? If so, who was the excursion with? My DD was wanting to do that on our last cruise.

Archived