Leaving items as a gratuity

NewCruisr

I love these boards and while I have never posted before (Yes…this is my first) I have searched but haven't found exactly what I’m looking for so I thought I’d make my first post a question in a new thread.

I happen to coach a soccer (football to you Europeans :)) team here in the States and have a number of balls that I can retire after the season. I was wondering if leaving the balls (deflated of course) for the stateroom attendants (or anyone that could use them) would be appreciated?

As soccer is the world’s most popular sport, and sporting equipment is sometimes hard to come by in the poorer countries, I thought it might be a nice gift to give on top of the normal cash gratuities. I am however, weary of offending someone by giving them what may be considered my leftover garbage.

Any and all schools of thought would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

My 2 cents = I do not believe in leaving items for the crew. This subject has been been brought up from time to time. What is perceived as valuable to us may not be to the crew. They live in pretty cramped conditions and work us for money not t-shirts, treasures or whatever. I suppose you could take them to one of your destinations and give them to the locals - that would make mroe sense to me than the crew.

Thank you first for the replies.

I want to clarify that I do plan on tipping using cash but was only wondering if items such as these might be appreciated.

While money may be a great thing to receive, if certain goods (such as sporting goods) are not available to them at home then these goods sometimes become more valuable than money itself.

While I have vacationed at a few islands here and there over the years, I am admittedly ignorant about cruising and the employees. I suppose if the employees do not see their families often, or even have families of their own, then these types of gifts may be almost worthless.

Perhaps, as blindrid proposed, they may be better received and appreciated by the locals while in port.

Thank you again for the replies and I look forward to reading the thoughts of others.

While it is such a nice thought to leave gifts for the crew, please keep in mind two things. First that storage in their cabins is quite limited and second they have limited room in their luggage to take the gifts home. Again, what you have in mind is very thoughful but based on my experiences I would not go this route for the reasons I have mentioned.

Keith

Some of the poorer countries might have schools and children's homes that would love to have your sporting equipment you never use. Sorry but one of the rules here at Cruise Critic is that we do not promote a particular children's home or school so you will have to do your own homework here. I love chatting here at CC and don't want my user name disabled because I broke the rules.

• Administrators
I love these boards and while I have never posted before (Yes…this is my first) I have searched but haven't found exactly what I’m looking for so I thought I’d make my first post a question in a new thread.

I happen to coach a soccer (football to you Europeans :)) team here in the States and have a number of balls that I can retire after the season. I was wondering if leaving the balls (deflated of course) for the stateroom attendants (or anyone that could use them) would be appreciated?

As soccer is the world’s most popular sport, and sporting equipment is sometimes hard to come by in the poorer countries, I thought it might be a nice gift to give on top of the normal cash gratuities. I am however, weary of offending someone by giving them what may be considered my leftover garbage.

Thanks in advance

I agree with the thoughts about local orphanages, schools, etc (depending on where you are sailing). I know that the crews of some ships (particularly those who do the same itinerary week in, week out, frequently "adopt" a local school or orphanage and the crew visits, spends time with the kids, etc.) That's a situation where your sports equipment could be put to good use. You might try checking around (doing a google search, even) to see if the crew on your particular ship is one of those doing charitable works in the ports of call they visit every week.

While it is such a nice thought to leave gifts for the crew, please keep in mind two things. First that storage in their cabins is quite limited and second they have limited room in their luggage to take the gifts home. Again, what you have in mind is very thoughful but based on my experiences I would not go this route for the reasons I have mentioned.

Keith

I agree with Keith. I used to place personnel on ships and these folks share small quarters and barely have the room for their "must have" items. Money is far more welcome and practical.

Thanks in advance

Some organization in Wisconsin was collecting those kinds of sporting goods to ship to our troops in Iraq...both for themselves to use and to give to the children. You might want to notify the Red Cross or a Vets group and see if they would use them. I'nm sure the opportunities will be many during the holidays.

The staff on the ship earns and send wages home. That's what they appreciate.

For the OP, it's a nice thought. As mentioned above, storage space is at a premium and getting the items home impractical if not impossible.

If you really want to make them happy give them the equivalent in extra cash....cash is king, as far as the crew is concerned.

I would ask the steward if he would have a use for the ball before Id leave it. I did that with some books and he said sure he would like them. My stewards have worked at most every port and rarely get time off the ship where they could play ball. Id say ask for that reason.

Booze works.

I believe most ships have crew lounges that could make use of a bottle or two. Last year on St. Thomas I took a timeshare tour and was given two bottles of local rum. I turned them over for use in the crew lounge (I sail Regent, so bringing liquor onboard was not an issue if I wanted to keep them). I'm sure they were used in fairly short order.;)

For what it's worth. Our waiter was on a ship soccer team that played a team from another ship while in port (Bermuda) and it was a huge rivalry. We also ran into some crew members from yet another ship on a different part of the island that were going back to their ship after a game. So you could ask around if any of the crew is interested in the balls, otherwise giving to the locals is a good option.

I think your thoughtfulness is awesome!

I agree with others that there would be many orphanages, childrens homes, and/or schools that would REALLY appreciate your donation.

(Some little manual air pumps might be a nice accompaniment, too!)

GOOD LUCK!

-Sarah

Booze works.

I believe most ships have crew lounges that could make use of a bottle or two. Last year on St. Thomas I took a timeshare tour and was given two bottles of local rum. I turned them over for use in the crew lounge (I sail Regent, so bringing liquor onboard was not an issue if I wanted to keep them). I'm sure they were used in fairly short order.;)

Just curious, who did you turn the bottles over to? The only reason I ask is most ships have a couple of bars for the crew only...they drinks aren't free but they are dirt cheap compared to passenger prices.

I got an email about sending soccer balls to soldiers in Iraq and Afganistan. They then give the balls to the children. I'm sure you're aware of how much this would mean to the children who love 'football'. I'm sorry I deleted the request but if you send me your email address I should be able to get the info again. ( I got email through my MLS system -I am a Realtor- and can email everyone to hopefully find the person who sent it, and he will answer me.) My address is bonniejns@hotmail.com subect: soccer balls.

Another point to consider is, what will they do with the soccer balls? They barely have time to get off the ship to call home, so there's precious little time for them to find a place to actually use the balls, so it's probably not a good idea. While your thought is commendable, unfortunately it's not practical.

Archived