No Docs, TA wants $25 for Pier Pick-up

Richjoxyz

I sail on the Zuiderdam on Dec 15th. My TA mailed my Docs on Nov 28th. They used regular US Mail. The Docs were mailed to my Florida house and the US Mail will forward them to my California house. I do not think the Docs will make it in time before I leave on the 13th. My TA INSISTS that HAL requires the Docs and that I need to pay $25 dollars to set-up pier pick-up Docs. I will most likely pay the $25 and just be done with it, but the thing is...I just cruised on this ship a couple of months ago and I SWEAR that I did not have to show my Docs! (Just showed my on-line check-in form and passport.)

I think this is a way for HAL to make $25 dollars for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! But I am frightened by the thought of being denied boarding because that is what my TA threatens (because that is what HAL is telling her). Any thoughts?

I think it is more likely your TA looking for a few extra bucks :mad: , although why any TA would alienate a client over $25 is beyond me.

After my months of careful planning for my November 10 Noordam sailing, I forgot my cruise docs :eek: . I started to panic, then remembered that other CC members had posted that they are not required to board. Sure enough, I had my printed online boarding pass and my passport and they never even asked to see my docs.

Unless something has changed in the past few weeks, I would not pay the $25, and go ahead without the docs. Make sure you take your online boarding pass.

Have a great cruise!

Bonnie

:) :)

ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY your cruise.

The only thing I've used from those Docs (other than on the first cruise when I read/touched/drooled over everything they sent me;) )

would be the luggage tags.

AND,

they have those at the dock.

Save your $25.

You do NOT need the docs.................just got off and it's still true.

I wouldn't pay the $25 and I would change my TA for my next cruise. Be sure to tell her why, too. She doesn't know what she's talking about and if we on this board know that you don't need any docs to board a ship she should be able to find that out also. She may have forgotten that she is being paid to know.

just tell them the dog ate them :)

I have not been on HAL yet (dec 9th westerdam) but on celebrity and princess all i ever needed was a passport (not even a boarding pass)

IF you are that worried call HAL to verify...again just tell them the dog ate them

have a fantastic cruise.

*sweet*

I dunno, gang.... this would scare the heck out of me. :eek:

Personally, I STRESS over the little stuff prior to a cruise.

Once I'm aboard, all is groovy.... but if my Travel Agent INSISTED that I have physical documents, I'd probably be a DOPE :o and pay the 25 bucks for peace of mind.

(I don't recall being asked for docs last December, either. Just passport and stuff that I had printed out from the internet registration)

Good luck, to you, OP! :)

On 11/10 in Ft. Lauderdale, I used the HAL transfer from the Airport to the ship, and I needed the transfer slip found in the Doc book (the bus driver took it). There was a credit authorization slip I had to sign that came with my doc's (a very short form-they must have them at check-in). Other than that, just our passports were needed with the online preferred boarding pass to get our key cards.

Ahoy!

As previous posters have mentioned, pictue ID (passport), booking#/ confirmation and, of course, your credit card will get you aboard. Everything will be in the 'beast', aka, computer at check-in.

In so far as transfers, prepaid excurions, etc. they will be awaiting you in your stateroom.

Your TA should provide you at the very least a bottle of bubbly, or better yet, a PG reservation for simple ignorance on his/her part.

Things will be fine... Have a GREAT CRUISE!

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

My Parents are on the Veendam now, have been for 8 days now and since the Docs are here on my desk, they did not need them to board.

My Mum forgot them at home, and I called HAL enroute to the pier (only 20 minutes from home) and they said don;t worry... she had everything else and they got on fine.

In so far as transfers, prepaid excurions, etc. they will be awaiting you in your stateroom.
Except for any airport-to-pier transfer vouchers! :)

I'll echo the majority here - save the $25. Fill out the Online Check-In, bring your passport, credit card, and printed Signature Preferred Boarding Pass and we'll meet you on-board! :)

On 11/10 in Ft. Lauderdale, I used the HAL transfer from the Airport to the ship, and I needed the transfer slip found in the Doc book (the bus driver took it). There was a credit authorization slip I had to sign that came with my doc's (a very short form-they must have them at check-in). Other than that, just our passports were needed with the online preferred boarding pass to get our key cards.

An airport-to-ship transfer ticket is the only thing in those pre-printed docs that I could think of, too, that would be absolutely necessary. The bus company needs those to turn-in so that they can get paid. But if you have other arrangements for getting to the ship, that's a non-issue.

Oh, and your big round plastic HAL Mariner buttons, since you've sailed previously. C'mon, now aren't those worth $25 to you? ;) :D

It is unfortunate that HAL head office insists that you MUST have the documents to board. I was required to pay HAL $100 for document reissue when I did not recieve mine and HAL says that DHL left them at the door.

If you call HAL in Saettle, they willtell you that you needs the docs to board the ship, end of story and must pay a reissue fee.

Dealing directly with HAL has not been good.

Audrey

I'm sure everyone who posted saying docs not necessary are correct. However, if you're anything like me, you don't want to wait until you are at the pier to confirm this. At a minimum, I would phone HAL's customer service and tell them the docs never arrived and are they really necessary if you have pre-registered. Might give you peace of mind. NEVER MIND!! After I posted this I read MoreMilesPlease' post that calling HAL will be a futile act. Oh well.

HAL still uses vouchers for transfers, hotels, etc ?

I know Princess no longer requires vouchers.

I don't know about the hotel part, but we needed the HAL transfer voucher (in the document book) to transfer to the ship from the airport and on the way back. Both ways the bus driver asked for it.

Archived