Hiding in Your Cabin During Lifeboat Drill

nicknack

[quote name='sapper1']I often see a poster referred to as a "troll". Now while I get the idea that being a troll is not a good thing, I am wondering what a troll is and how that is determined. I am thinking that it means a person is a habitual trouble maker. Is that correct?[/quote]

a troll is "called out" because of their post count and the question they just posted.
Example--someone coming off a very bad cruise vacation will post their very 1st post knocking the cruiselines--going on and on how bad everything was, etc.

or come on here with some question bashing something.

Its really unfair to a person who just came here and would ask about the dress code because they dont know--- and then after reading replies will add-- Im on vacation and will wear what i want anyways.

I wouldnt count a troll as a hibitual trouble maker - you will see different names- check post counts with a "wierd" question.

I wonder how I would react if, while in my life boat, a person who didn't go to the drill swam up to my boat and demanded that he or she be allowed to get on the boat. I'd allow them on just so they could return to this thread and write how important some things are. Why would anyone spend the time and money putting a cruise together then spend the time necessary to avoid a fifteen minute drill, is beyond me.

Barry

[quote name='serene56']a troll is "called out" because of their post count and the question they just posted.
Example--someone coming off a very bad cruise vacation will post their very 1st post knocking the cruiselines--going on and on how bad everything was, etc.

or come on here with some question bashing something.

Its really unfair to a person who just came here and would ask about the dress code because they dont know--- and then after reading replies will add-- Im on vacation and will wear what i want anyways.

I wouldnt count a troll as a hibitual trouble maker - you will see different names- check post counts with a "wierd" question.[/quote]
I think I am beginning to understand. Tks.

I know two people personally who have been required to go to their muster stations for emergencies on cruises -- neither one was severe enough to make passengers leave the ship, but these things DO happen.

It's 15 minutes of your vacation; just do the right thing.

[quote name='MrsPete']I know two people personally who have been required to go to their muster stations for emergencies on cruises -- neither one was severe enough to make passengers leave the ship, but these things DO happen.

It's 15 minutes of your vacation; just do the right thing.[/quote]

And at least it is only [U]once[/U] per cruise!

Back soon after Noah built the ark (well, in the 1960s anyway), I did a journey from the UK to New Zealand by ship. It took almost 7 weeks and passengers were required to attend a lifeboat drill as we departed [U]each and every[/U] port!

If you want to know how important muster drills really are, talk to my youngest daughter who works for Majestic America Line and ask her about having to evacuate Empress of the North after she went aground in the Inside Passage this past summer. Or ask all of the passengers of the Explorer if any of them will EVER miss another drill after the ship sank under them recently.

I don't like them, they're boring and a PITA, but I will never miss one, for just the reasons listed above.

Just got off MSC Musica yesterday.

As mentioned before, we almost always hide in the cabin, but following the good suggestion from someone on here about getting to the mustard lounge early to get pole position for the spiel, we fully intended to go to the drill.

All the points you all made about us being irresponsible had perhaps touched a nerve.

However, the embarkation procedure took that long that the drill had finished before we were on board! Result or what? :D

Maybe a hundred or so other passengers were "in the same boat".

However, it does make one wonder how they expect to get 3800 souls off the ship in a hurry if ever necessary.

[quote name='madamcruisequeen'][SIZE=4]You can always hide out in your bathroom during the mustard drill. Thats what we always do and have only been caught one time. When they brought us down to our mustard station everyone seem pretty pissed but we didn't care, we were on vacation. Go for it, the odds are you won't get caught.[/SIZE][/quote]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkgreen]It's ignorant people like you ( as you profess here with the " we didn't care" statement )that contribute to making the world the mess it is in. Hopefully if you have children they did not pick up on & continue " the he** with the rest of the world & now get out of my way" attitude.:( Next cruise maybe you will try to do the right thing & go to the mustard drill & not hold everyone up. That would show a sense of responsibility & consideration for your fellowship mates...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='bcs819']we ALWAYS go to the drill. Being released from it is when we see our vacation officially begin. On our last cruise in September, as we were pulling our of Miami, we saw another ship having their drill. We also saw people hiding on their balconies in bathrobes. As we were moving very slow pulling out, we also saw cabin stewards coming out onto balconies and waving people in. It was very HOT that day - if you don't care if you go down with the ship, please show up so the rule-followers aren't sweating/freezing to death waiting for them to track you down. Those poor folks in the drill had to stand there while we saw folks all over the ship getting snagged for skipping it. I think they should give you a little tag (like the do the kids with bracelets) at your muster drill. When the ship goes down, you show your ticket. No ticket, no lifeboat!

I really think I could pay even LESS for cruises if the cruiselines charged you (no one in particular - just these things that hold me up every cruise)for every time you break a rule that affects other cruisers:
don't show up for immigration -$50
late for muster - $100
late for dinner (when dining with others) - $25
waiting in the lobby to debark even though you're told not to - $100
holding up the line to get back on the ship because you didn't bring your card AND a picture ID - $50

All in favor, say AYE![/quote]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=7][COLOR=darkgreen]AYE to it all ![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

We go to each and every one, as its for "our" safety. But....

I work with someone who said she would never cruise with Princess again because she had to stand at the muster drill for 1/2 hour. Isn't that the way with all of them??? Only one we didn't stand at was on the Star and they had us go to the Stardust threater.

[quote name='madamcruisequeen'][SIZE=4]You can always hide out in your bathroom during the mustard drill. Thats what we always do and have only been caught one time. When they brought us down to our mustard station everyone seem pretty pissed but we didn't care, we were on vacation. Go for it, the odds are you won't get caught.[/SIZE][/quote]

And we wonder why the younger generation has no respect for authority:mad:

Act like a responsible adult and go to the MD. What is a half hour of a day that is already shot with the boarding, unpacking etc. Go to the drill, meet some nice people, have a laugh or two and then you can start your vacation. It's not that much to expect of you.

My problem with the drill is standing in the heat with hot vest on packed in like sardines. Some ships do make it easier by having you meet in the lounges. You can always check where your life boat station is after the drill the stations are clearly marked and it is listed in your cabin. If you are comfortable during the drill you will likely be able to remember what you have been told. It is important to learn what to do incase of an emergency.

I have hidden out before . LOL. Funny story to share . Celebrity Mercury - we were in the shower (the only place you can be). We had just shut the water off, we heard someone come in our room. We stayed in the bathrooom (didn't want to get busted). Then all the sudden , we hear the drawers being opened closed . Wardrobe being opened / shut . I'm not sure what the steward was looking for but I wish I would have had a mini cam in that room. LOL. I don't know if it was our steward or another one ? I've often wondered why ? If that happens . Nothing was missing / we had excellent service. I can't figure that one out. Last cruise I was on, I attended the drill as I was kind of concerned as I heard of a couple cruises going down / and a fire on one.

• 1 year later...
[quote name='yamaha dancer']A couple of men we met on carnival Paradise Thanksgiving weekend tried the hide in the cabin trick. A cabin steward came into their room without knocking and sturnly told them they had to go to the drill NOW. One of the men snuck back to his cabin before the drill was done and a different employee caught him and told he had to stay in his cabin until everyone was done with the drill, them he stayed outside his cabin so he couldn't leave, LOL!
I have been on only two cruise lines, Carnival and HAL, the HAL drill was very organized and took about 20 minutes, the Carnival drill was very unorginized and took about 45 minutes, which included the Carnival employees yelling at guests to sit down and be quiet or they would keep us there no matter how long it takes!Most of the people making noise were kids and no matter how many time they yelled at the crowd the kids were not understanding the need to be quiet! I'mglad the ship stayed afloat because with all the yelling I had no idea where I was suppose to go in an emergency! Carnival got a D- on this cruise when it came to safety of the passengers! But the cruise was still fun![/quote]

And now though, you know how to do it, just stay in the meet and greet lounge.
Simple enough

I can't see why anybody would refuse to cooperate on this. It's a minor inconvenience, but it really doesn't take that long. I can't say that I enjoy them, but it's something that we're asked to do - and that the cruiseline is required by law to do - so I'd personally feel like a jerk if I avoided it. [COLOR=red]Flamers note! I'm not calling anybody else a jerk. I'm saying that I would feel like one if I tried to get out of this.[/COLOR]

[quote name='ShannLC16']This thread reminds me of my days as an RA in college when people would try to get out of fire drills/alarms and hide in their rooms! :D[/quote]

I work in a very tall building (50 floors) and we have fire drills/alarms. Prior to 9/11 everyone ignored the fire drills - and nobody really forced them to participate. After 9/11, people's attitudes changed (we are on the 48th floor).

Archived