Hiding in Your Cabin During Lifeboat Drill

nicknack

I have always practiced arriving "late" to the muster drill (never want to be first and squished to the back of the pack).

Last time, our cabin steward came in and "reminded" us of the muster drill. I told her we were heading there very shortly.

A few minutes later, she insisted that we leave the cabin for the muster drill.

We were still among the last to arrive, which put us at the front of the line, and the first ones out!

(now I've blown my secret!)

Enjoy, folks!

:)

Any opinions ? Can anyone defend the practice and say how common it is? Controversy invited.

OK, here is my humble opinion: I think everyone should attend the drill, arrive on time and LISTEN or at least shut up during the entire drill. This drill is made for our safety. We need to know our muster station and the procedure for the ship we are on before it set sails. In case of a real emergency, I feel that it's those people who hide or didn't listen carefully that won't know where they are going or what to do and will make it harder for everyone else.

It's only a couple of minutes, everyone can do this without complaining, no? After that last duty, everyone is entitled to a great vacation where they can do (almost) all they want.

Heard this from a couple in their 70's who we met on a cruise. They had no need for the life boats because if there came a time to use them, no one would be orderly. Eveyone would be pushing, shoving and they weren't getting in THAT mess. They were going to sit in their suite enjoying their cocktails and go down with the ship.:p

Perhaps what the cruise ships should do is note the time that people arrive at the muster drill and in a real emergency allow those who showed up first to get in the lifeboats first and those who think muster drill is a joke and want to remain in their cabins etc the honor of all trying to get on the last boat at the same time and after the captain and crew have abandon ship.

Heard this from a couple in their 70's who we met on a cruise. They had no need for the life boats because if there came a time to use them, no one would be orderly. Eveyone would be pushing, shoving and they weren't getting in THAT mess. They were going to sit in their suite enjoying their cocktails and go down with the ship.:p

Easier said than done, IMHO, most people would change their mind when the ship would go on its side or when water would get in the cabin. Better be aware of the safety measures even if you choose not to use them.

Perhaps what the cruise ships should do is note the time that people arrive at the muster drill and in a real emergency allow those who showed up first to get in the lifeboats first and those who think muster drill is a joke and want to remain in their cabins etc the honor of all trying to get on the last boat at the same time and after the captain and crew have abandon ship.

I vote for this! (I don't understand why people won't do an effort when it's everyone safety we are talking about).

That is awesome! I love it!! :)

Actually our muster station was the Stardust Theater - and everyone that sat around us was saying that if something did happen and we had to get off the ship, we sure wouldn't head to the theater!!! I understand that there probably wasn't enough room for everyone on the entire ship to assemble on the open deck area, but that is where we would be if we had to get off in a hurry....

I have missed muster drills and was never spoken to about it.

What I don't like is that last time on the POA we were told that

''''''this is not the actual location to gather in case of emergency'''''

Then what the hell is the point?

The answer to your question I think would depend on the individual.

If this is your 4th time sailing on the same ship and you are very famailar with the layout I would take note of your station but not go to the drilll. (I know I know...ohhhh she said she's not going to the drill)

I have gone to every lifeboat drill on every cruise except for the last one (it was my 2nd time on the Dawn and I knew exactly where my lifeboat station was)and feel that I will be able to handle an emergency just fine.

I was on the Regal Empress when she was docked in NYC and had to be evacuated due to a fire onboard and I can tell you that it was chaos!

The ship personell basically had everyone go to their nearest lifeboat, not their assigned lifeboat, and get on. You were handed a life jacket when you were getting on the lifeboat and there was no time to return to your cabin and get anything.

In my opinion....

If it is your 1st cruise or your 1st cruise on a particular ship I would say go...if not, stay in and hide :)

I have experienced the most strict and efficient (HAL) and the most sloppy and inefficient (last Spirit cruise) mustard drills. On Noordam (January!!!) we had to stand there forever, freezing, while they called every cabin number, then every NAME in the cabin! They checked everyone off. There were a few people missing and that set us all back a bit. Then the officers walked around giving us the info. It was very no-nonsense.

Here's the Spirit mustard from my last cruise:

MUSTER DRILL:

This you had to see to believe.

First of all, every announcement from the CD, or the bridge, went like this:

BING BONG BING! "Good blah blah ladies and gentlemen, blah blah BINGO! blah blah auction, blah blah, once again, blah blah (static static)." This was everywhere- the restaurants, buffet, Lido deck, cabin hallways, everywhere.

But we knew to get ready for the drill and walked to our assigned station, taking the route posted on our door- which was clearly mapped out by Rube Goldberg. No crew around. We got to the area and stood around for about half an hour in the billion degree heat and humidity. People started to fan themselves and lean against the railings, moving only to let more clueless people swinging their life jackets saunter by- or wheel by, with no assistance from crew. Eventually there was some very quiet static, followed by the usual 7 short and 1 long. A couple of officers walked by with walkie talkies, moving to let more late comers arrive. Then we sort of all left.

I remember my last muster drill, on HAL in January. Not only did we have to stay out in the freezing cold forever, but every single cabin number and passenger name had to shout "HERE!" Crew tugged on our life jackets to make sure they were tight and got extenders for people who needed them. They were very clear about who would need assistance. They were on their game.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=612067

Hiding in your cabin is tempting but I'd be too afraid of getting busted and starting the whole cruise off on a bad note.

Oh, and to answer the OP's question - they didn't say anything about it on the cruise we just took last week, but when we did the RCCL cruise a couple of years ago, we had to wait until EVERYONE on the list showed up for the drill before we could leave. They kept calling a few cabin numbers over and over, and then sent someone up to get the people out...

So for the sake of everyone else who is being responsible and standing there looking silly in their lifejackets, please show up so we can get it over with and get on with the fun!! :)

We figure it's required, so we ALWAYS go and make the best of it. It's not that big a deal and only takes a few minutes. Besides, it's a chance to see everyone looking a bit goofy in those orange vests (and the life you save might be my own)--have fun & go with it!

Easier said than done, IMHO, most people would change their mind when the ship would go on its side or when water would get in the cabin. Better be aware of the safety measures even if you choose not to use them.

I think it's safe to say they were joking.

No biggy. We go. I have a bad back and the wife has bad hips but we don't ask for the elevator. By the time we get down the stairs, about 80 % of the people are there. I tell the person in charge I can go stand at the side and lean against the bulkhead, or, I can stand where they want me to and everyone can see how good they respond to an emergency when the paramedics come pick me up with a stretcher. They send me to the side and the bulkhead. After it's over, I find a place to sit for a bit until it clears out since so many want the elevators and we're so slow on the stairs we would block others. It's not that bad.

I can't believe I'm reading this thread. As an ex-flight attendant, I am horrified that people would not attend a safety drill, even if they have travelled on the ship before. It definitely would be more orderly if there was an accident. People know where to go and what to do. Passengers owe it to the crew to go to the drill and listen.

I can't believe I'm reading this thread. As an ex-flight attendant, I am horrified that people would not attend a safety drill, even if they have travelled on the ship before. It definitely would be more orderly if there was an accident. People know where to go and what to do. Passengers owe it to the crew to go to the drill and listen.

I actually pay attention to the spiel on board aircraft!

You shouldn't be horrifed as an ex-flight attendant. You should be horrified as a sane person. If I was on a cruise and I had to wait an inordinate length of time during the muster drill because other people were 'hiding' and causing us all headaches, I would find out who they were and I would make their life hell for the rest of the cruise. Idiotic, pure and simple.

we ALWAYS go to the drill. Being released from it is when we see our vacation officially begin. On our last cruise in September, as we were pulling our of Miami, we saw another ship having their drill. We also saw people hiding on their balconies in bathrobes. As we were moving very slow pulling out, we also saw cabin stewards coming out onto balconies and waving people in. It was very HOT that day - if you don't care if you go down with the ship, please show up so the rule-followers aren't sweating/freezing to death waiting for them to track you down. Those poor folks in the drill had to stand there while we saw folks all over the ship getting snagged for skipping it. I think they should give you a little tag (like the do the kids with bracelets) at your muster drill. When the ship goes down, you show your ticket. No ticket, no lifeboat!

I really think I could pay even LESS for cruises if the cruiselines charged you (no one in particular - just these things that hold me up every cruise)for every time you break a rule that affects other cruisers:

don't show up for immigration -$50

late for muster - $100

late for dinner (when dining with others) - $25

waiting in the lobby to debark even though you're told not to - $100

holding up the line to get back on the ship because you didn't bring your card AND a picture ID - $50

All in favor, say AYE!

To the OP: hope you're enjoying the controversy! I posted a thread yesterday, "What's the craziest thing you've ever thrown overboard" and it went along similar lines as this. My answer was "my wedding ring," but I got a bunch of lectures about throwing fruit and garbage and lounge chairs and what have you.

I know you said "controversy invited!" You must be a lawyer! :)

we ALWAYS go to the drill. Being released from it is when we see our vacation officially begin. On our last cruise in September, as we were pulling our of Miami, we saw another ship having their drill. We also saw people hiding on their balconies in bathrobes. As we were moving very slow pulling out, we also saw cabin stewards coming out onto balconies and waving people in. It was very HOT that day - if you don't care if you go down with the ship, please show up so the rule-followers aren't sweating/freezing to death waiting for them to track you down. Those poor folks in the drill had to stand there while we saw folks all over the ship getting snagged for skipping it. I think they should give you a little tag (like the do the kids with bracelets) at your muster drill. When the ship goes down, you show your ticket. No ticket, no lifeboat!

I really think I could pay even LESS for cruises if the cruiselines charged you (no one in particular - just these things that hold me up every cruise)for every time you break a rule that affects other cruisers:

don't show up for immigration -$50

late for muster - $100

late for dinner (when dining with others) - $25

waiting in the lobby to debark even though you're told not to - $100

holding up the line to get back on the ship because you didn't bring your card AND a picture ID - $50

All in favor, say AYE!

Aye, but lets add a zero behind all your fines.

I don't think missing drill is option, as they take attendance and leave everyone standing till they have perfect attendance. As there is seemingly no limit to the stupidity of some people, it no longer surprises me that some people would contemplate not going.

last week on nav. the cabin stewards checked every cabin.. and then put a card in the slot .. the card was red and had 'evacuated' written on it.. this is part of the stewards drill to make sure everyone is out of their cabin .. this has become part of the stewards requirements for the muster on RCI ships.. not sure if they do this on NCL.. this was the first time I noticed...putting cards in the slots of the door

We were are the Wind and people we meet on cc forum told us that they told someone not sure who that she wasnt feeling well and they were told as long as someone from the cabin came it was ok at least for them.Not sure how common this is.

Archived