Virtually No Dress Code on Our Summit Cruise

kitty9

In the "Celebrity Daily", the wording is "Required Dress Code". But I wonder how many passengers actually read the Daily?

JMO, but I think they read it and ignore it anyway. The folks that blatantly disregard the dress codes do so because they could care less about dressing properly. I also think that "suggested" versus "required" is an adolescent argument.

being an adolescent excuse also.

However, the information in Celebrity's promotional materials state that the ships daily will be your guide to the appropriate evening attire. While the information in the promo materials uses words like "may" or "suggested", the DAILY which has already been stated to be the guide for APPROPRIATE attire does say REQUIRED on every one I've been looking at.

Dave:eek:

As an aside, how many of the people out there complaining about how people don't dress up on formal night pack alcohol in their suitcase or sneak it onboard somehow. Seems to me that rules on Celebrity only apply when you what them to.

I don't, either. I take aboard (at most) the two bottles of wine permitted... I'm surprised, though, that there is so much judgement directed towards the dress-code offenders and so little towards the smugglers. Personally, I condemn them both equally...

However, the information in Celebrity's promotional materials state that the ships daily will be your guide to the appropriate evening attire. While the information in the promo materials uses words like "may" or "suggested", the DAILY which has already been stated to be the guide for APPROPRIATE attire does say REQUIRED on every one I've been looking at.

If that's the case, then SHAME ON CELEBRITY! If they are being deliberately misleading and ambiguous to draw people onto their ships under false pretenses, I see no excuse for that. Is it really so hard to publish only consistent facts? Apparantly so, as X is constantly contradicting itself...

I don't understand how bringing formalwear causes such a packing issue. We usually take 10-11 night cruises and do a few days precruise, and the airlines allow us each 2 bags at 50lb each. That's room for us each to have a large suitcase, plus we share a garment bag for formal clothing (always by far the lightest bag even with FOUR dresses, a tux, a suit, and two sports coats and all the needed items), and there's still room to bring one more large bag if we want it! Not to mention a carryon each if we want.

It's really hard for me to imagine how bringing a dress or a suit is going to cause such hardship. We have never even brought the third suitcase, and we definitely overpack!

I don't understand how bringing formalwear causes such a packing issue. We usually take 10-11 night cruises and do a few days precruise, and the airlines allow us each 2 bags at 50lb each.

Unfortunately that only applies to flights within or from/to the U.S. If you ever decide to travel within Europe/Asia/Africa/Australia/New Zealand and on and on (the entire rest of the world) your limits would be LESS than half what you presently pack. In addition, in many cases your carry-on allowance is severly limited (sometimes as little as 15 lbs.)

Dale, do you think that if they changed that one word, that suddenly everybody would comply? I wish I had your faith in people's willingness to follow simple rules!

I have the dailies from several of my X cruises and they do not say "suggested", they say "required".

It would be a shame to have Celebrity change the formal format because of the non-comformists. I happen to enjoy the formal dress and would be disappointed without it. If I wanted a casual experience I'd sail some other cruiseline.

Several have mentioned and I have to agree, it really is no big deal to pack formal dresses. The weight issue really is not a big deal if you pack in a practical method. As a matter of fact, most jeans weigh more than the average piece of clothing, so to me that's just an excuse.

I will say, on our recent Med cruise, the majority of people dressed to the 9's. Except for one particular "trailer trash" couple, I didn't notice anyone else not conforming.

Several have mentioned and I have to agree, it really is no big deal to pack formal dresses. The weight issue really is not a big deal if you pack in a practical method. As a matter of fact, most jeans weigh more than the average piece of clothing, so to me that's just an excuse.

I agree! I pack matte jersey sheaths, long, and wear them with great shoes and purses. I can fit everything I need for 2-3 formal nights in a backpack with no problem. If weight is the issue/excuse, choose different fabrics.

DH always looks fabulous and he packs very efficiently.:)

"Evening Attire

Evenings aboard Celebrity include three types of dress: formal, informal and casual.

Formal attire calls for an evening gown or cocktail dress for ladies and a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit for gentlemen. Elegant, formal evenings include the Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Dinner, the Captain's Farewell Dinner, and a third or fourth "formal" night for those cruises sailing more than seven nights.

For your convenience, arrange for tailored, elegant formalwear to be delivered directly to your stateroom with Cruiseline Formalwear. With an elegant line of eveningwear for ladies and classic, stylish formalwear for men, you'll look as famous as you feel. To order, visit Cruise Line Formalwear or call 800-551-5091 or 305-252-8572.

On informal nights, ladies may wear an informal dress or pants and blouse, while gentlemen may wear a jacket and tie with slacks. Casual nights call for casual, comfortable wear, so women may opt for a pantsuit or sporty outfit while gentlemen may choose a sport shirt and slacks.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening. Dining in jeans, t-shirts, shorts, tank tops or swimsuits detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm.

Or this:

dotted_line.gifspacer.gifEvening Dress Codes

Celebrity's evening dress codes include three types: formal, casual and informal. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate evening attire.

Formal Night Attire

Ladies: Evening gown or fancy dress

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit

Informal Night Attire

Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse

Gentlemen: Jacket and tie with slacks

Casual Night Attire

Ladies: Pantsuit or sporty outfit

Gentlemen: Sport shirt and slacks

Dining in jeans detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm. Evening dress codes apply to both main restaurant dining as well as specialty restaurant dining*.

Now if you want to rip this apart:

A gentleman's choice for casual nights includes a sport shirt and slacks, while women will be comfortable in a pants suit, skirt and blouse, or casual dress.

On informal nights, men are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and slacks, No jeans, while women may want to wear a suit or dress.

For the formal nights, including the Captain's Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party, dinner on the second night, and the Captain's Farewell Dinner held the next-to-last night of the cruise; both men and women may prefer more dressy attire, such as an evening gown for women and a tuxedo or dress suit for men.

Celebrity Cruises has implemented a casual dining service on its ships. Casual dining is offered most nights on every cruise, depending upon the itinerary, and is served in the Palm Springs Grill and pool area on the Mercury and at the Oasis Grill and pool area on the Galaxy. On the Century casual dining is available in the Sky Bar. On our newest ships, casual dining is offered at the Seaside Grill and pool on the Constellation, the Oceanview Grill and pool area on the Infinity, the Ocean Grill on the Millennium and the Waterfall Grill on the Summit.

However, being a college graduate, everything seems very clear to me on what they expect of their passengers to wear. I don't see the words "wear what you want when you want" anywhere in any of the three posted areas for dress code information.

Dale is correct that that language is different from "required". My IQ is high enough to recognize that what is meant is that one is supposed to dress the way they suggest. However, a choice was made NOT to use the word "required" in the language you posted (From the brochure? The website?) but to use that word in the dailies. Why the discrepency? I find it pretty shady.

If they are trying to be polite, they would use the softer language in the dailies. If they were trying to be firm and clear, they would say "required" everywhere. My suspicion is that they are trying to soft-sell the requirement to the common folk until they are aboard and have no recourse... I don't find that acceptable, even if it is simply a matter of some people having low I.Q.'s...

I don't think it's shady. It seems obvious to me that X is trying to move to the new way of doing things while not alienating the past customers who clearly like a more traditional attire. They want to have their cake and eat it to!

For those posters who feel they have such a high I.Q they should be able to understand the very clear difference in the word required vs. suggested vs. may. There is no room for interpretation it is what it is by definition.

On our Jan 2006 14 day Hawaii cruise we had late seating and I would venture to say 90% of the men wore tuxes. It looked so nice around the ship with everyone dressed to the nines. I do like the Princess policy of Smart Casual and Formal w/o the informal in there. DH will rent a tux if he has to drag a sport coat with trousers, shoes, shirt & tie.

I can honestly say, I have never seen anyone inappropriately dressed in the dining room for 8 cruises. Either that or I am too interested in the menu!

It's simple:

At the dining room entrance (after I wash my hands with Purell) I get

"Welcome, Enjoy your evening"

OR

"I'm sorry sir, the dress code for the night is formal. If you wish, we have casual dining options on Deck ..."

It's crazy to post a speed limit of 55 and expect people to follow it without enforcement. Either the dress code is enforced or it is not. If not then just paint over Celebrity with CARNIVAL, have the hairy chest contests and charge $399. :D

The problem is solved once they turned people away.

I have to somewhat agree with your last post.

However my understanding of the words SUGGEST and MAY in the context that they are used is that they are meant as a polite way of saying " we would like you to..."...( I agree its a bit wishy washy).

However, seeing the information about tuxedo rentals, the photos, and reading the information on the dress codes, My understanding would be to err to the more formal. I guess thats just me:o .

Nobody wants to be TOLD what to do or how to act as adults. THe wording is a hint of what the right thing to do is, without turning people off..

IMHO

"Celebrity with CARNIVAL, have the hairy chest contests and charge $399. :D "

Okay, thats not fair to the other passengers because I could go on three of those for what I usually pay on X , AND win hands down all three times.

Now which speedo should I wear......:confused:

"Celebrity with CARNIVAL, have the hairy chest contests and charge $399. :D "

Okay, thats not fair to the other passengers because I could go on three of those for what I usually pay on X , AND win hands down all three times.

Now which speedo should I wear......:confused:

The Celebrity Red one with the big X in the right place.:eek:

I'm sorry, but this whole business of luggage weight and using that as an excuse to flaunt the dress code is pure bull. I managed to pack for a 30 day cruise, with 9 formal nights and 12 informal nights on Crystal, with two bags and one carry on, all within the weight limits. You CAN pack smart, you CAN pack clothes that are formal and semi formal and you CAN remain within the airline luggage limits. Lets be honest here---we're becoming lazy and don't want to bother dressing up, pure and simple. The ones who don't want to bother dressing up are the ones who don't want to be bothered with packing a couple of extra pieces that could comply with the dress code. What surprised me was the fact that the worst offenders were the oldest passengers. I was shocked to see the little blue haired ladies in their late 70's come into the dining room in shorts, t's and flip flops---on informal night. I had thought it was the younger generations that didn't like dressing up, but it's sure a trend the oldsters are picking up on, unfortunately.

When we lived in Manhattan, there were several restaurants that kept a supply of sports jackets by the hostess's stand. If someone came to the restaurant without a jacket, the hostess would discretely lend them one for the evening. That way they could enforce the dress code without sending anyone away.

In my opinion, that could also work on a cruise. Granted a sports jacket is not formal attire, but it is better than no jacket.

When we lived in Manhattan, there were several restaurants that kept a supply of sports jackets by the hostess's stand. If someone came to the restaurant without a jacket, the hostess would discretely lend them one for the evening. That way they could enforce the dress code without sending anyone away.

In my opinion, that could also work on a cruise. Granted a sports jacket is not formal attire, but it is better than no jacket.

I did that once but between the floppy sleeves the smell of the last guys Old Spice and the Tomato Sauce stain on the lapel-I broke down and bought one.:rolleyes:

On X, my waiters have always mentioned the night before formal night that the following night would be formal.

I find it very hard to believe that somebody could arrive at the dining room not knowing it was formal night. Didn't ALL OF THE FORMALLY-DRESSED PEOPLE THEY PASSED on the way from their cabins to the dining room give them a clue?! In that case, I would expect them to go back and quickly change, even if it made them a few minutes late for dinner.

Drew, on our first formal night, I was standing outside of the dining room on deck 5, waiting for my tablemates. Outside the door is a sign that said, "Formal Night". Standing there, reading the sign and looking at all the passengers who were dressed nicely, was a couple wearing, for him, a plaid shirt, jeans and dirty tennis shoes and for her, black capri pants, sleeveless t shirt and Crocs. They looked totally bewildered by what they were seeing and you could tell they were trying to decide if they wanted to walk into the dining room in their very casual clothes. In the end, they decided not to enter the dining room. So I guess, there are some who feign being illiterate and those who truly are.

Drew, on our first formal night, I was standing outside of the dining room on deck 5, waiting for my tablemates. Outside the door is a sign that said, "Formal Night". Standing there, reading the sign and looking at all the passengers who were dressed nicely, was a couple wearing, for him, a plaid shirt, jeans and dirty tennis shoes and for her, black capri pants, sleeveless t shirt and Crocs. They looked totally bewildered by what they were seeing and you could tell they were trying to decide if they wanted to walk into the dining room in their very casual clothes. In the end, they decided not to enter the dining room. So I guess, there are some who feign being illiterate and those who truly are.

I am offended by that comment! My sneakers were NOT dirty.;)

I'm sorry, but this whole business of luggage weight and using that as an excuse to flaunt the dress code is pure bull. I managed to pack for a 30 day cruise, with 9 formal nights and 12 informal nights on Crystal, with two bags and one carry on, all within the weight limits. You CAN pack smart, you CAN pack clothes that are formal and semi formal and you CAN remain within the airline luggage limits. Lets be honest here---we're becoming lazy and don't want to bother dressing up, pure and simple. The ones who don't want to bother dressing up are the ones who don't want to be bothered with packing a couple of extra pieces that could comply with the dress code. What surprised me was the fact that the worst offenders were the oldest passengers. I was shocked to see the little blue haired ladies in their late 70's come into the dining room in shorts, t's and flip flops---on informal night. I had thought it was the younger generations that didn't like dressing up, but it's sure a trend the oldsters are picking up on, unfortunately.

Hi Kitty :)

I agree that it is not the age of the passenger. Prior to our three generation family cruise last month, my 29 year old daughter asked me what would be appropriate for her family to wear on formal nights, as well as "smart casual" nights, so she could pack accordingly.

Archived