Silly but important question.....

woodmill100

Coming from the UK and hubby wants to bring his full kilt outfit. This is quite heavy so I am hoping to save on toiletries and either use what is provided or buy when we arrive. Is there a shop onboard that sells all these usual bits and pieces? I know if they do they'll probably be a bit more expensive but hey ho, hubby will through a purple fit if the kilt doesn't fit into the cases!

The husband has yet to appear on a cruise ship in full formal kilts with sporran, but such a get-up is perfectly acceptable on a formal night--and the wearer is quite popular, as he's asked the age-old question again and again by giggling ladies

from

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/firsttime/tuxedo.cfm

Holland America Line's ms Eurodam Maiden Voyage to Feature Fjords and Kilts

from

http://www.foxbusiness.com/latest-news/article/holland-america-lines-ms-eurodam-maiden-voyage-feature-fjords-kilts_405030_0.html

Although the shops onboard do sell certain things, the types and quantities are very limited. Most things are the small travel sizes or one time use. Depending on the ports you will be visiting though, it is possible to pick things up at some of the shops that offer more variety and amounts.

Gotta keep hubby happy, so I am sure you can make do.

Remember, Princess supplies basic items such as soap, shampoo and conditioner in each stateroom, so that should help out a bit.

Hi Woodmill

Don't forget you get toiletries in your room.

Complete hair and body shower gel.

Hair conditioner.

Moisturiser and bar soap.

I did not take shaving gel i purchased this on the ship you can also do the same for toothpaste and mouthwash.None of these might not be your ususal brands but it is a good compromise.

Also in hindsight we should not have taken our aftershave ,perfumes.We should have purchased these on the ship.The prices onboard were practically half uk price and very competetive with shore prices

Aw Toto you beat me to it,damn this onefingered typing LOL.

HTH

Regards

Dodger

Shampoo, condition, soap and lotion are standard in all cabins. I thought the travel size toothpaste and brush were very reasonably priced in the onboard shop. They had a variety of items including contact lens solutions.

Hi Woodmill

Don't forget you get toiletries in your room.

Complete hair and body shower gel.

Hair conditioner.

Moisturiser and bar soap.

I did not take shaving gel i purchased this on the ship you can also do the same for toothpaste and mouthwash.None of these might not be your ususal brands but it is a good compromise.

Also in hindsight we should not have taken our aftershave ,perfumes.We should have purchased these on the ship.The prices onboard were practically half uk price and very competetive with shore prices

Aw Toto you beat me to it,damn this onefingered typing LOL.

HTH

Regards

Dodger

Or better yet, skip the perfume and after shave entirely. Many people, including myself get sick from them. Its difficult when going into the Princess Theater and sitting next to someone with perfume and then not being able to change seats because by then the theater has filled up.

Or better yet, skip the perfume and after shave entirely. Many people, including myself get sick from them. Its difficult when going into the Princess Theater and sitting next to someone with perfume and then not being able to change seats because by then the theater has filled up.

I can assure you vmom you would prefer my eau de cologne to my eau de armpit:D :D

If you arrive the day before the cruise, you can ask the hotel (or call the toll-free phone # before you arrive) if there's a drug store, grocery, or variety store nearby where you can buy toiletries cheaper. If you're embarking in America, it might be wise to buy them here anyway since the dollar is so bad against the pound sterling!

Personally, I'd love to see a man in a kilt on formal night. My father's ancestors are from Scotland and my mother's are from England and Wales. Lord Kitchener is my great-great uncle.

I've found that instead of putting toiletries into one bag and then finding space in my suitcase for it, I separate them by "type" or when I'm going to use them and put them in plastic bags that I then tuck in here and there through the suitcase. I also make sure I have travel size of just about everything I use so I'm not bringing lots of big, heavy items.

An alternative to buying toiletries on the ship is to just buy them in the airport (a good time is before picking up your bags). Those airport shops always have a toiletries for sale in travel sizes (although overpriced and of limited quanties, but that's what you'll find on the ship).

Coming from the UK and hubby wants to bring his full kilt outfit. This is quite heavy so I am hoping to save on toiletries and either use what is provided or buy when we arrive. Is there a shop onboard that sells all these usual bits and pieces? I know if they do they'll probably be a bit more expensive but hey ho, hubby will through a purple fit if the kilt doesn't fit into the cases!

I usually bring my Kilt for formal nights ... and get the usual questions. A note: Security boarding and on the ship may make wearing a real 'Sgian Dubh' (dirk) a problem. I have not worn mine for that reason.

May I ask what is the tartan that you will be wearing?

On my last cruise, my tablemate wore his formal kilt on formal night. He looked so smart! I believe his tartan was Black Watch. It was impressive.

My grandfather was from Scotland, and when I was a young girl he sent me a kilt with the big pin. Our tartan is Buchannan. He also sent me a beautiful Royal Stewart Scarf. I proudly wear my Buchannan scarf now and get alot of compliments on the tartan.

Post a picture for us all to see when you get back.

Happy Cruising!

On my last cruise, my tablemate wore his formal kilt on formal night. He looked so smart! I believe his tartan was Black Watch. It was impressive.

My grandfather was from Scotland, and when I was a young girl he sent me a kilt with the big pin. Our tartan is Buchannan. He also sent me a beautiful Royal Stewart Scarf. I proudly wear my Buchannan scarf now and get alot of compliments on the tartan.

Happy Cruising!

No at all. He'll be in his own family tartan which is McEwan. It's a green based tartan with yellow and red. I really like it!

Happy Cruising!

No at all. He'll be in his own family tartan which is McEwan. It's a green based tartan with yellow and red. I really like it!

Archived