Question regarding changing prices - PLEASE HELP!!!

bchristie1074

I just booked my first cruise 4 days ago for the Norwegian Jewel on 2/10/08. I researched for a few months and thought I got a great price. Today I just happened to look on the website and they have Mini-Suites for only $30 more then I paid for an Oceanview. I bought through Best Price cruises and they said they can't change it since I made final payment. This seems weird to me. Is there anything anyone can recommend so I can upgrade to the suite? I am not looking to get it for free, I am willing to pay the difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, the cruise lines prices are dynamic similar to the airlines and hotels. When they are empty prices are low, and when they are almost full prices are higher. Its simply supply and demand at work. Cabins are not simply a gallon of milk.

As for upgrades, whether bought or free are in high demand. Everyone wants to buy a product on sale. By the time one asks for one, the better cabins are gone. Cruise lines will make deals before final payment to move an orphan cabin, but afterwards very few do. Its much like returning a product you bought at full price yesterday to buy the same product on sale today for much less. No business is interested in selling a product for less, especially after receiving full price. They have already made the sale.

This is exactly what happened to me. IMO this is an area that all cruiselines need to work on. Some people have had luck calling NCL and getting some kind of satisfaction, but most people including myself, have had no such luck. I think it is very aggravating to see prices drastically reduced after just a day or so after final payment.

My advise.. Book your cruise with a price you are happy with, and do not look back!

Sharon

I just booked my first cruise 4 days ago for the Norwegian Jewel on 2/10/08. I researched for a few months and thought I got a great price. Today I just happened to look on the website and they have Mini-Suites for only $30 more then I paid for an Oceanview. I bought through Best Price cruises and they said they can't change it since I made final payment. This seems weird to me. Is there anything anyone can recommend so I can upgrade to the suite? I am not looking to get it for free, I am willing to pay the difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A sensible cost to switch would be the difference in the current price for the grade you have and the new higher grade you want + whatever admin fees need to apply.

Looking at NCL for the 2/10 jewel sailing for your lets say top OV(DD) to a mini(AF) would be $2669-$1749 = $920pp. + admin.

What NCL/TA will actuly ask for will be a mystery since IME it seems to have no relation to the previous or current costings.

It probably can be changed but the TA on-line discount may also get taken back as well so increasing the actual difference.

There is a lot of availability on this trip I would expect prices to drop some more and would have waited to book.

Unfortunately, the cruise lines prices are dynamic similar to the airlines and hotels. When they are empty prices are low, and when they are almost full prices are higher. Its simply supply and demand at work. Cabins are not simply a gallon of milk.

As for upgrades, whether bought or free are in high demand. Everyone wants to buy a product on sale. By the time one asks for one, the better cabins are gone. Cruise lines will make deals before final payment to move an orphan cabin, but afterwards very few do. Its much like returning a product you bought at full price yesterday to buy the same product on sale today for much less. No business is interested in selling a product for less, especially after receiving full price. They have already made the sale.

Don,

I can only speak about Carnival and RCL, but they will gladly upgrade you or give you the benefit of a price drop after final payment. I know this because it has happened to me every time I have sailed on those two lines. (This may have changed since I was on board.)

I know that NCL will not make these adjustments, and I think that from a business sense that NCL has the better policy, but other lines are not so rigid.

This is exactly what happened to me. IMO this is an area that all cruiselines need to work on. Some people have had luck calling NCL and getting some kind of satisfaction, but most people including myself, have had no such luck. I think it is very aggravating to see prices drastically reduced after just a day or so after final payment.

My advise.. Book your cruise with a price you are happy with, and do not look back!

Sharon

"work on"? This has ALWAYS been true, cruiselines put cabins on sale, late booked. Now with the internet, it is just more known. I used to use a 1 800 agent in California, who I used to snag open cabins in the 80's and 90's.

Since you booked in advance, you got your cabin choice and sail date. Those of us who late book to take advantage of those lower rates, take chances of sailings being sold out and get the left over cabins. If air is needed and wasn't blocked out prior, usually airfare is more.

So, IF a cabin and booking early is important to you, perhaps, don't look at what the pricing is. BUT, I highly recommend people keep track of pricing trends YOURSELF, especially just before final payment. All the group space get released back and sometimes the discounts. Immediately contact your booking agent for an adjustment. Be aware that many times the final payment "date" given you by an agent can be 7-10 days before the ACTUAL cruiseline date. Count is back yourself and pay at the last minute.

As a TA I know for a fact I can go into NCL system and change your category and just pay the current difference. I did this the other day for one of my last minute clients that booked the Gem for 1/16. They booked a Balcony paid in full. Then on monday I noticed for only $20 they could upgrade to AF mini suite. I called them asked if they were willing to pay the difference and they said yes. I went into NCL system and made the change.

I check rates daily for my clients as they do change!

KC

Archived