Best PG shore excursions?

It really depends on what you enjoy doing. From experience and also from reports from others, I'd recommend the off road jeep safari's, Mark Eddowes hike in Huahine (if you like to hike), Michael Pooles dolphin watch in Moorea (just be sure to take medication beforehand if you tend towards seasickness) I'd also do the snorkel with the stingrays in Bora Bora. (it's in shallow water as are most all the snorkels) There were a few couples who did the helicopter ride in Bora Bora and loved it as well as several that did the sunset sail in Moora.

My review is over a year old, but probably still valid....

We're avid snorkelers and loved the PG trip. Our favorite trip, by far, was Michael Poole's Dolphin Watch. When he says to bring snorkeling equipment, he does not mean that you'll snorkel with dolphins...instead, we found whales and snorkeled above 5 of them. I would suggest that you go to his enrichment lecture on the ship. Then, ask him if it's whale season (no point in paying for this chance at an experiance if the whales aren't even there).

We enjoyed a number of other snorkel trips, but this one is forever in my mind.

Karen

We didn't book that excursion until we went to the lecture. I don't know if we got lucky with spots open on it, but we got 2 tix immediately.

A really nice thing about the PG....you can cancel excursions in full if you do it before 24 hours prior to the excursion.

If I had it to do again, I'd do research right now as to the whale season. (We did it in Oct, so I'd guess that they either won't be there or it will be the tail end of their season). If you see that they're there, I'd book in advance.

Word of warning......Even Dr. Poole seemed surprised by the number of whales we saw (5). I got some pix, but they're nothing compared to the pics in my memory.

We didn't take $'s with us on the excursion, so couldn't buy one of his t-shirts. I'd have liked to have had one....

Karen

First of all, I recommend that you also consider hiring a driver to get a feel for the local atmosphere. You may want to book the Bora Bora off road adventure. The jungle hike up to the waterfalls was something that really fascinated me, but I understand it is quite strenous. Oh, and the waverunners book rather quickly. Most people could ride them all day. We also really liked snorkeling with the stingrays. The snorkeling was in fairly shallow water that was calm and the operators of the tour were good. They also brought fresh fruit along.

My best advice is do not schedule anything for the day of the motu. The ship's staff cooks a wonderful barbecue while you indulge at the bar. Get there early for a good chair and umbrella. There are restrooms and picnic tables. Bring your snorkeling gear from the ship and plan on doing some kayaking. We stayed until the very end. It was glorious!

I wouldn't count on being able to book all of your excursions on Friday. The excursions for my April 19 cruise were supposed to be available for booking this past Friday December 21 and they're still not all posted online. Right now, just the excursions for Raiatea and Taha'a Motu Mahana are available. I was told by a RSSC representative that 120 days prior to the sail date is just an estimate for excursion booking availability, and that they're still working with vendors on selecting the excursions for our cruise. I have to say, this isn't a great first impression.

We really liked the jet boat excursion on Bora Bora that circled the island. It felt like we got three excursions in one-first we stopped and fed stingrays, then snorkeled in a lovely place far from shore, and had a great ride and nice perspecticve of the island and lagoon from the jet boat.

Can't wait to go back!

Circling Bora Bora on a jet ski was definitely our favorite excursion...on Christmas Day 2001, unforgettable! We also enjoyed renting a car on Moorea and exploring on our own.

The wave runner tour around Bora Bora gets my vote also! We've done it twice and I'd do it again in a second. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! :)

I can't wait to go back. I wish they'd get their Spring '09 itineraries up soon!

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions!! I will take each one to heart. I guess I won't freak out if I can't book online Friday as I thought - thanks for letting me know, TimATL. I'll do the jetboat around Bora Bora and the sting ray ballet as well as try to get on the Dolphin Watch with Michael Poole - even though the whales won't be there.

Has anyone done the Blue Lagoon Escapadeon the 21' foot bayliner? It a pricey one, but sounds fantastic. I wonder if I could find 3 other people to share this - any thoughts?

I'm so excited and sooooo ready!! :)

Rebecca

Be aware on Dr. Poole's excursion that snorkeling is not guaranteed. The first time we did it, we were lucky enough to spot dolphins early, and after enjoying them for quite a period, we went to a reef and had a snorkeling break. The second time, we never did find dolphins, and spent the entire trip searching for them, so no time for snorkeling. Pretty trip around the island, however.

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions!! I will take each one to heart. I guess I won't freak out if I can't book online Friday as I thought - thanks for letting me know, TimATL. I'll do the jetboat around Bora Bora and the sting ray ballet as well as try to get on the Dolphin Watch with Michael Poole - even though the whales won't be there.

Has anyone done the Blue Lagoon Escapadeon the 21' foot bayliner? It a pricey one, but sounds fantastic. I wonder if I could find 3 other people to share this - any thoughts?

I'm so excited and sooooo ready!! :)

Rebecca

We did the Blue Lagoon in May and it was great. No rush, No lines and a great ride. You get to spend as much time as you want in the water, it gos all around the Island and you have a nice time on a little Island. If you send me your email address I will send you some pics, but we are leaving on Jan 11 for 24 days on the PG and yes we are again doing the Lagoon trip

mike

We rented bikes for 4 hours @ $15 each and rode around Bora Bora stopping at various hotels to visit them and at various vista points. The traffic was not a concern(I was worried about that) and there were only 2 spots where we walked the bikes mainly due to the condition of the road and the decline. It really gave us a "feel" for Bora Bora. We also took the sail/snorkle catamaran trip which was very relaxing the next day.

By far, my favorite excursion was snorkeling at Tahaa during the "motu"day. We enjoyed the waverunners in Moorea, as well as Dr Pooles dolphin watching, and if you are lucky enough to have a virtuoso travel agent, the excursion that they arrange in Bora Bora is not to be missed!

I want to go back! Please can I win the lottery?

Lisa

We loved the jet boat circle island tour of Bora Bora. You stop and swim with the sting rays, saw some reef sharks also, did some snorkeling and had a great tour from two highly entertaining young men. It was a new tour March, 2007 but it was awesome.

Have a great time - the islands are beautiful. No matter what excursions you choose you will have great time.

Francine

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rebecca: It looks like we'll be on the same cruise together. I am also starting to sign up for the excursions. I wish I knew what times the Paul Gaughin has its parties so I'm not out on an excursion at the same time, but I don't see anything that outlines what the ship's schedule for get-togetherss is. Is their Motu Mahana party the first day and does it last all day. I thought I heard that they also host a party on Bora Bora but don't know when so I can book the excursions around it. Hope we bump into each other on the ship. My DH and I can't wait. Does anyone else know what the ship's schedule is or where I can find it?

Archived