Disappointed with my latest Captain's Club "Departures"

tmt9367

Today I got our latest edition of "Departures" and I'm starting to wonder if Celebrity is getting cheap like RCCL! We are Elite members and inside our edition there's only two savings coupons! One for $100 off and one for $150 off. And to top it off, these coupons are only for Caribbean, Mexican Riviera and Panama Canal sailings. I have four cruises booked and was looking for a little discount on our Baltics cruise next May or a South America sailing.

What's up with Celebrity? Because of their new pricing policy, we have just booked our first cruise on Princess. We love Celebrity and I was hoping there would be no changes to them other than pricing, but it looks like they're starting to get just like RCCL. :confused: :(

S

Today I got our latest edition of "Departures" and I'm starting to wonder if Celebrity is getting cheap like RCCL! We are Elite members and inside our edition there's only two savings coupons! One for $100 off and one for $150 off. And to top it off, these coupons are only for Caribbean, Mexican Riviera and Panama Canal sailings. I have four cruises booked and was looking for a little discount on our Baltics cruise next May or a South America sailing.

What's up with Celebrity? Because of their new pricing policy, we have just booked our first cruise on Princess. We love Celebrity and I was hoping there would be no changes to them other than pricing, but it looks like they're starting to get just like RCCL. :confused: :(

S

Probably has everything to do with supply and demand. When bookings are heavy they do not have to discount or give coupons. If you check newpaper articles the cruise industry is apparently doing very well. Here's a link to a recent article.

http://www.cruising.org/CruiseNews/news.cfm?NID=174

Don

Probably has everything to do with supply and demand.

I think that's exactly right. In my very non-scientific research, I found this fall's cruise prices higher and much higher than the past two years were, so they must be selling well.

Having said that... I am thinking that next fall will be drastically cheaper after this intense hurricane season. At least for the Caribbean.

Theron

S

Hi Tmt !

Confused ? I think we all are to an extent. I have noticed the CC Coupon discounts are getting far & few between, and you are right about that. What it all comes down to, as other have mentioned is simply "Supply & Demand". Bookings are very strong, and everything is much more expensive. I would suppose it gives RCI and Celebrity the opportunity to be less generous.

Not only are the Coupons somewhat smaller, but Celebrity has been MUCH more strict about them... than ever before. I recently recieved an email coupon for 100.00 off my April 2005 Summit sailing, but it said it had to be booked starting with a certain date. I booked my sailing prior to that date. In the past, this would have NEVER been a problem, and would have been accepted without hesitation. Despite several calls to Celebrity... I have been denied use of the coupon each time I called. Soooo, not only is the cruise alot more expensive than in the past, but I cant even get the 100.00 coupon off, that they sent me. It really isnt that big of a deal, but it did leave me with a bit of a sour taste.

I truly understand why you booked Princess. I hope Celebrity will ease up a bit, or they will turn off more people such as yourself. In the past, I always thought Celebrity was a great value for the money. While they still offer a GREAT Cruise experience, the value part is disappearing rapidly :(

BTW, How was the magazine overall ? I still did not get my issue yet.

Regards,

Andy

We got a coupon for $200. off per cabin for our exact cruise but it was time sensitive. We called Celebrity and were told that it won't be accepted since we had booked last January while on a cruise. I asked what the advantage is to booking early if we don't get to use their coupons. She said that the advantage is getting a discount for booking on the cruise. I then asked what if we hadn't booked while on a cruise, then what was the advantage of booking early. She said that the coupons were for new bookings, not for people who were already booked. I told her that she had just said the wrong thing and I hung up.

I fully realize the marketing value of recruting new bookings for the ships that are not sold out. At the same time I resent being penilized for already having booked.

We got a coupon for $200. off per cabin for our exact cruise but it was time sensitive. We called Celebrity and were told that it won't be accepted since we had booked last January while on a cruise. I asked what the advantage is to booking early if we don't get to use their coupons. She said that the advantage is getting a discount for booking on the cruise. I then asked what if we hadn't booked while on a cruise, then what was the advantage of booking early. She said that the coupons were for new bookings, not for people who were already booked. I told her that she had just said the wrong thing and I hung up.

I fully realize the marketing value of recruting new bookings for the ships that are not sold out. At the same time I resent being penilized for already having booked.

Hello !

I totally agree with comments in your last paragraph. I see you had a nearly identical experience as mine.

I wish Celebrity would change their thoughts on this, and go back to the old way of accepting coupons. I am sure there must be many others who are somewhat annoyed with this policy.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy, I just don't think Celebrity should make us wonder whether we would be better off booking early or late. By the time we cruise they will have had our money for a full year and a booked cabin. I did send an email to the Captains Club and got the same reply along with that by booking so early we get our choice of cabins. We have booked at the last minute and still got a great cabin. Since we only book inside or window I really don't care which cabin I get, they all look the same with the door closed. I just didn't like the obvious attitude that since we are already booked they are not concerned about pleasing repeat cruisers, just trying to get new ones. We of course did get the $200. credit for booking on board but the coupon would have given us the same thing 2 weeks ago.

Please don't take my attitude as Celebrity bashing because I'm not. Celebrity is my favorite line, I just don't care for this particular policy. I still have not been able to figure out how Celebrity manages to get such people pleasing crew on board all of their ships and such "I don't give a rip" crew on land. :D

I'm with you guys! They are certainly taking away any incentive for booking early. I hear from the future cruise person on one of the ships and she says people are not booking onboard as in the past because of pricing. She says someimes the pricing changes hourly and people are getting very annoyed!

I, too, have not rec'd my mag. Never did rec the email one even when I called and asked to have coupons sent because we were booking one of the cruises. I was told they would email them, but they never did. I started with X Oct 31, 03 on Horizon. When I step foot on Horizon this Oct 31 I will do so as an Elite member. I think it's pretty cool, zero to Elite in a 12 month period, but it sure doesn't cut any cheese with the coupon fairy! I can't even get them in my hand to see if they'll work! We plan to book a 14 night from Galaxy while on the 9/17 and would like to see which cruises these new coupons are good for. Can anyone post the info?

Thanks!

Probably has everything to do with supply and demand. When bookings are heavy they do not have to discount or give coupons.

I kind of disagree. I feel these coupons that are only sent to Captain's Club members are a reward for be loyal to Celebrity. But you are right, it seems they are trying to fill ships that they know wil not be full. What would be the harm in giving a loyal customer $200 to $250 off of any sailing? How many coupons would be used on any one sailing? I think not many. This lack of respect is driving this loyal customer away for sure. :(

S

We were loyal NCL passengers, Lattitudes members......not any more.

We have switched to Celebrity. Why? bargains? No! Because we were no longer interested in traveling with folks that were purely price driven..If the last NCL crusie we were on had had a $10 per person higher cost, there would have probably been a 50% reduction in the number of passengers.

Purely from a business point of view, if your product become price driven or you discount a product in high demand....you hurt the overall quality of your product. Period. No argument.

We have switched because we actually are looking forward to a cruise focused on providing a high quality of service, not a highly active security force who spend their time breaking up fights.

Ya get what ya pay for! Want discounts? There are cruise lines offering big discounts..but remember the product/service gets proportionally discounted at the same time.

I agree on the prices changing daily. I have just had first hand experience of this. I called to see our TA on Wednesday to get a price for the Millennium next August and were given a good price. When we called in Saturday the price had gone up £270 ($470) she called Celebrity and evebtually got through (not the best telephone service) and was told 'thats just how it is'. I thought the corporate logo was 'Treating you Famously' Well I suppose if you were famous, then you wouldn't worry about the price.

OK, I know I'm going to get flamed go ahead, if you feel you need to but here it goes. Let it be said that I like a bargain as much as the next person, and I clip my coupons every Sunday. In defense of Celebrity, they have spoiled us by allowing coupons to be used even though they were past due. Coupons in any industry are used to get new customers in the door or to sell a product that isn't selling so well. It may have been a "loyalty" thing in the past, but apparently they are now using them to fill up less desirable (for whatever reason) itineraries or ships. If you don't need a certain cabin or a certain itinerary, then gamble on a late booking. My past experience has been that if the price drops, they will accommadate the drop. My guess is that soon they will also change that for any drop after final payment, with the way they have been tightening the screws on pricing. Was I glad on my last cruise that I booked early--you bet, my room went up $1500 pp from the time I booked till I cruised, and the price never went down, not only did I get a better price, but I also got one of those wonderful aft rooms.

Bottom line, if you don't like the pricing don't cruise with X. Maybe if a lot of people leave the line, than they will change their policy. In the meantime, they are in a business that is doing well and only a small fraction of people who book cruises read these boards. There are a lot of people out there were are cruising without the benefit of discounts, perks, etc. and X is probably only angering a small percentage of their booking clients.

Sorry to ramble, just my opinion after reading all these threads about discontent with X and their policies. Not trying to flame anyone or dismiss your feelings, but just wanted to put in my two cents. Also felt the need to vent, as everyone else has.

The coupon issue is certainly a sore point for many Celebrity pax. I suggest that Celebrity be more up front and say it. They need or want higher prices fro their cruise vacations. We can then make our decisions on what ever parameters we want; price, service, itineries, service on board, food quality, smoking policies, entertainment, etc etc. We are booked on a Celebrity Cruise our 4th this November and booked about 6 months ago. When the new Captains Club coupons came out this particular cruise was not included. While prices are going up everywhere it seems that a few Cruise Lines and X and RCCL seem not to be amont them are more interested in service. Which brings me to my real comment.

When something happens with respect to bookings, emarkation, on board customer service there are issues and incidents that do create and cause pax to be upset or dissatisfied. They say they will investigate and get back to you. Last cruise took them 8 months to get to it and then we got the "traditional" Celebrity response thanks for bringing that to our attention now go away and leave us alone. We got your $$ before now please book again and give us more.

The coupon issue goes hand in hand with this type of service. While service seems to be lacking in many industries on while on board there is only one place to go and that is Celebrity Customer Service. It does not exist. We had one of our best cruises on board Renaissance but they self destructed due to no service pre trip, ie booking. Celebrity seems to be taking the exact same attitude. If the same executives from Ren are now at X then it won't be long that they suffer the same fate. Too bad if it is true.

Any comments from other Cruise Critic readers?

Maybe what they are saying is that they appreciate their loyal customers but ONLY when they are needed to help fill the ships. :rolleyes:

Hi Ocean Boy !

I hate to say it, but you are probably right about that.

Regards,

Andy

The coupon issue is certainly a sore point for many Celebrity pax. I suggest that Celebrity be more up front and say it. They need or want higher prices fro their cruise vacations. We can then make our decisions on what ever parameters we want; price, service, itineries, service on board, food quality, smoking policies, entertainment, etc etc. We are booked on a Celebrity Cruise our 4th this November and booked about 6 months ago. When the new Captains Club coupons came out this particular cruise was not included. While prices are going up everywhere it seems that a few Cruise Lines and X and RCCL seem not to be amont them are more interested in service. Which brings me to my real comment.

When something happens with respect to bookings, emarkation, on board customer service there are issues and incidents that do create and cause pax to be upset or dissatisfied. They say they will investigate and get back to you. Last cruise took them 8 months to get to it and then we got the "traditional" Celebrity response thanks for bringing that to our attention now go away and leave us alone. We got your $$ before now please book again and give us more.

The coupon issue goes hand in hand with this type of service. While service seems to be lacking in many industries on while on board there is only one place to go and that is Celebrity Customer Service. It does not exist. We had one of our best cruises on board Renaissance but they self destructed due to no service pre trip, ie booking. Celebrity seems to be taking the exact same attitude. If the same executives from Ren are now at X then it won't be long that they suffer the same fate. Too bad if it is true.

Any comments from other Cruise Critic readers?

Hi Everyone !

I have some comments. I agree with much of what you said, especially your last paragraph.

I dont think there is much more of a Celebrity fan out there, than I am, but with that said... I am very worried over the events of the past few months. I feel some very poor decisions have been made at the company.

Yes, I TOTALLY understand the need to generate profits, but I am very worried that Celebrity feels they can act like they are a Radisson or Crystal, and charge similar prices to boot. While I dont mind paying more than last year's very low prices (and I am... I have 2 more Cruises with X booked). I do feel they are charging MUCH more than some of their competitors, and might chase some of their loyal customers away. That would be very sad.

I am also VERY unhappy with the 2005/2006 itineraries, as Celebrity has shifted many of their sailings to longer, more expensive, and more west coast based sailings. For those looking for a 7 day sailing from South Florida, (for much of the season) they will have to look elsewhere, and that to me, was an out & out awful decision.

I am also very disappointed that Summit was moved from Ft Lauderdale to the West Coast for much of the schedule. Surely, that is good news for those of you who live in the LA area, but Celebrity has left very little out there for their East Coast Cruisers. Just not good planning at all if you ask me.

I couldnt have been any happier with the onboard experience at Celebrity, and I am quite sure that will continue, but they are going to make it VERY hard for their loyal East Coast passengers to continue to sail with them. Again, to me, another very bad decision. This type of schedule would be perfectly fine, if they had a few more ships in their fleet, to remain in FL, but they do not, and that leaves us with very few options.

Anyway, I always like to be optomistic, and I hope Celebrity will try to fix some of these issues. I would feel a huge void in my Cruising Vacations, if & when I have to make other choices, as Celebrity will always be # 1 to me.

Regards,

Andy

Bottom line, if you don't like the pricing don't cruise with X.

Unfortunately this is exactly what were doing. Some people here are missing my point. It's not about the money, it's about the lack of respect for the shareholders(me) and the loyal customers. Let's face it, a small percentage of cruisers sail more than once a year, so the loyal passenger is the one that's doing the most business with them. The people like me that put all our eggs in Celebrity's basket should get a little more than an extra cocktail party or priority boarding for our loyalty. The airlines at least reward me with free flights.

It's not about a discount, it's about being appreciated and feeling like I made a good deal.

S

I love X. Love longer cruises. And love it that there will be more west coast departures. (we've been fussing for more ships out here for a long time!) Love the prospect of visiting the Galapagos on an X ship. And love getting good value for my cruise dollar. The coupons are OK but they never cause me to choose one cruise over another. Next cruise is a 15 day Infinity from San Diego (aft balcony/ great price) and then the Med on Oceania. Had booked Millennium first but Oceania came very close to the X price.

I don't need X to reward me for cruising frequently. Just keep me happy with interesting itineraries, good service and great food, prices I can afford. It will be fascinating to see how all this pricing stuff comes out in the wash over the next year.

I just returned from taking Horizon to Bermuda. Talked to Olga on board for a future cruise. She quoted me a higher price for a 3 day west coast Mexico cruise than I paid for my 6 day Bermuda cruise. I'm happy with the ships, management better wake up before they are empty. Other crusie lines like Princess (I'm an elite member) and HAL (7 cruises) give their repeaters the best price early and then when the ships are almost full the price goes up. I have 9 cruises with Celebrity, my next is with Princess in March on the Royal.

Elite members with Princess get free laundry and dry cleaning and point for point what ever the other lines offer. Celebrity if you give me a competive price I will come back, you are not Crystal. If you want us coming back give us a few breaks. They had a last minute distress sale on our cruise and I talked to some new cruisers in CC class with me for $300 less per person than I paid. Met 4 couples who booked less than 30 days out for similar savings. Do you know how this made me feel. MAD.

Re itineraries: I guess the X sailings out of Baltimore filled up so well that Royal Caribbean is using their bigger ships there now -- but nothing after this year?? Norfolk is 4 hours from home, Baltimore is about 1 hour from home. Not hard to guess that we'll be looking at whatever sails out of Baltimore as a first option. :(

Lillykat: Coupons are (yes, I know you said Caribbean, but someone may want to know the others) (may be some typos -- I checked it over but I'm only human):

$100 off outside for

7 or 9 night E Caribbean on

Century Dec 24, Jan 22, Feb 19, Mar 19, Apr 16, Apr 30

Millennium Dec 19, Feb 6, Feb 20, Mar 6 or 13 or 20 or 27, Apr 10

7 or 9 night S Caribbean on

Constellation Dec 24, Feb 19 or 26, Mar 12 or 19 or 26

7 night W Caribbean on

Century Mar 12 or 26

10 night Caribbean oon

Horizon Mar 25

Summit Dec 17, Apr 1

7 or 10 night Mexican Riviera on

Mercury Dec 17, Feb 18, Mar 20, Apr 10 or 17 or 24

$150 off outside stateroom for

11 or 14 night Caribbean on

Summit Dec 27, Feb 7, Mar 21

Zenith Feb 13, Mar 13 or 27

11 night Mexican Riviera on

Mercury Dec 27, Feb 28, Mar 30

11, 12, or 14 night Panama Canal on

Galaxy Feb 26, Mar 10, Apr 14

Infinity Dec 20

NOTE: Book between Aug 1 and Oct 31 (if outside US/Canada, book between Aug 1 and Nov 30)

Hope this helps.

S

Unfortunately this is exactly what were doing. Some people here are missing my point. It's not about the money, it's about the lack of respect for the shareholders(me) and the loyal customers. Let's face it, a small percentage of cruisers sail more than once a year, so the loyal passenger is the one that's doing the most business with them. The people like me that put all our eggs in Celebrity's basket should get a little more than an extra cocktail party or priority boarding for our loyalty. The airlines at least reward me with free flights.

It's not about a discount, it's about being appreciated and feeling like I made a good deal.

S

Well, that's exactly the point I was trying to make. Actually I'm more than happy with the the extra cocktail party (which we have only attended once) the priority line has always been longer than regular lines for us so I don't even care about that. We did 4 Celebrity cruises last year so I consider us good loyal customers. All I want is to be treated nicely on the phone prior to our cruise if there is a problem. The attitude of "take it or leave it" just has never worked with me. I am the kind of person who will cut off my nose to spite my face even realizing that as soon as they hang up the phone they could care less if I cancelled my cruise. We also took a RC cruise last year and I have to say that my phone call inquiring about a different cabin was handled beautifully. She actually sounded as if she really cared that we have a good cruise. We don't get that from Celebrity for the last two years.

Archived