DFW 40 min. connection - doable?

horsecrazygirl

Originally had 55 minutes, but due to AA changing our departure time from Cleveland, now there are only 40 minutes and a terminal change for our "preferred" flight to San Juan. Actually, American changed us to a later flight out of DFW, resulting in a 4 hour lay-over and us not getting to San Juan until 7:15 p.m. when we were scheduled to arrive around 4:00 p.m.

When you search available flights from CLE to SJU, American shows the 40 minute connection time as an "available choice" but warns you of the short connection time. I'm assuming that AA would change our tickets (since there are currently seats available) and put us on that earlier flight so we avoid the 4 hour lay-over. My question is ... should I just play it safe and keep my later flight out of DFW, or should I gamble that the Cleveland flight will be on time (in early March ... weather?) and we can make the 40 min. connection and arrive that much earlier in San Juan to enjoy the rest of the day?

We are flying in 2 days early, and would much rather enjoy our nice hotel in San Juan for a few hours rather than sit in DFW, but if we miss the connection and there are no seats on the later flight, then what? I'll probably play it safe, but for those that fly DFW frequently, just wanted your opinion on such a short connection time.

Thanks!

Originally had 55 minutes, but due to AA changing our departure time from Cleveland, now there are only 40 minutes and a terminal change for our "preferred" flight to San Juan. Actually, American changed us to a later flight out of DFW, resulting in a 4 hour lay-over and us not getting to San Juan until 7:15 p.m. when we were scheduled to arrive around 4:00 p.m.

When you search available flights from CLE to SJU, American shows the 40 minute connection time as an "available choice" but warns you of the short connection time. I'm assuming that AA would change our tickets (since there are currently seats available) and put us on that earlier flight so we avoid the 4 hour lay-over. My question is ... should I just play it safe and keep my later flight out of DFW, or should I gamble that the Cleveland flight will be on time (in early March ... weather?) and we can make the 40 min. connection and arrive that much earlier in San Juan to enjoy the rest of the day?

We are flying in 2 days early, and would much rather enjoy our nice hotel in San Juan for a few hours rather than sit in DFW, but if we miss the connection and there are no seats on the later flight, then what? I'll probably play it safe, but for those that fly DFW frequently, just wanted your opinion on such a short connection time.

Thanks!

It is doable. BUT!!! As you pointed out, weather in early March???

Any little glitch and you are going to miss the continuing flight.

There are a couple of other possibilities-rerouting through ORD gives you a full 50 minutes to connect. Leave CLE at 6:00AM, arrive ORD at 7:00. ORD nonstop to SJU at 7:50AM- AA flight 2057. Again, weather could play a role.

The other option is ORD/MIA/SJU. Leaves ORD at 8:35AM, leaves MIA at 1:35 and arrive SJU at 5:00PM. A couple hours earlier than the DFW flight. If you are into air miles, you would definitely rack up a few extra this way.

Those are the only options I can find. You do have one more option-IF your flight from CLE/DFW arrives on time and you RUN to the gate, you MAY be able to fly standby on the earlier SJU flight. Make sure you have a good airport map, have studied it and know the fastest way to get to your gate (and on the train between terminals).

Your luggage most likely WILL NOT arrive with you if you take the standby route. So you will have to go BACK to the airport when the later flight arrives.

If it was me, I would take the ORD/MIA/SJU route. But then again, I LOVE to fly and sure can use the extra miles.

Just to add to Greatam's wonderful advice. I would not book that short of a connection especially with a terminal change at DFW. A friend had a 40 minute connection with a terminal change last week at DFW. The only reason she made it was her arriving flight landed early (flying West to East so had a tailwind) AND her connecting flight was delayed. As it was, even with the early arrival of her previous flight she got to the gate only 10 minutes before scheduled departure of her connection.

If you do miss the early flight, and there are no seats available on a later flight that day, you will be responsible for paying for your hotel. And then you will be stuck in the waiting game again the next day.

Don't stress out the beginning of your vacation by cutting yourself so short on time.

Thanks all for your advice!

I believe I will keep my 4 hour lay-over at DFW. I had thought about the ORD route, but if we're lucky enough to get out of CLE in March, why chance being stuck in ORD? I wouldn't mind the miles, but my husband is NOT patient & wouldn't understand that itinerary :) He likes as few connections as possible - we can't drive to Chicago - we're from Western PA & usually fly from PIT. The airfares from CLE were much cheaper this time, so that's why we're going that route.

You're right, I don't want to be stressed at the beginning of my vacation by worrying about making the connection. Guess I just wanted reassurance that though spending 4 hours at DFW is boring, it's probably my best bet. If the 40 minute connection was my only option, I'd go for it.

Thanks again!

Heres what you can do, if you get there and can make the gate, go and ask if you can get on if not just keep your 4 hr. connection, changing terminals can be a hassle in DFW. If it were the same terminal you may could make it and I stress (May) there is a new inter terminal train which has limited gates to get on going up stairs at various points in the terminal, if you haven't used it before it can be a bit odd. I have gotten to the airport early before and they will put you on the flight if there is room, your bags would be another question. Good luck, it will work out, Buck

Heres what you can do, if you get there and can make the gate, go and ask if you can get on if not just keep your 4 hr. connection, changing terminals can be a hassle in DFW. If it were the same terminal you may could make it and I stress (May) there is a new inter terminal train which has limited gates to get on going up stairs at various points in the terminal, if you haven't used it before it can be a bit odd. I have gotten to the airport early before and they will put you on the flight if there is room, your bags would be another question. Good luck, it will work out, Buck

You answered your own question. How could you book a four hour flight and then at the last minute go for the 40 minute flight since the bags would have been checked in from the get go. Doesn't make much sense to me.

I am glad that the OP will stick to the 4 hour layover. I fly DFW all the time and would never go with a 40 minute layover even if the change was in the same terminal. DFW is now the third busiest airport in the USA.

Keith

You do have one more option-IF your flight from CLE/DFW arrives on time and you RUN to the gate, you MAY be able to fly standby on the earlier SJU flight. Make sure you have a good airport map, have studied it and know the fastest way to get to your gate (and on the train between terminals).

Your luggage most likely WILL NOT arrive with you if you take the standby route. So you will have to go BACK to the airport when the later flight arrives.

This will not work if you check bags. AA does not allow one to fly standby if their luggage has already been checked in for a flight. The first question a gate agent will ask if you want to go stand by is if you have checked luggage.

I have booked tickets with bad connections in the past to get a cheap fare with the intention of trying to go standby on earlier flights.

Horsecrazygirl - You can also buy a one day pass to the Admirals Club in DFW to pass the time away. The club in the Terminal D is pretty good by AA's domestic standard. The airport's new Skytrain is vastly superior to the old AA TRAAIN and makes it very easy to go between terminals.

We had about a 4 hour layover in DFW once - it is a great time to find a nice place to eat and relax over a meal, linger over coffee or a drink and maybe read a little - it sure beats sitting at the gate for 4 hours and you can eat one less airline meal.

We had about a 4 hour layover in DFW once - it is a great time to find a nice place to eat and relax over a meal, linger over coffee or a drink and maybe read a little - it sure beats sitting at the gate for 4 hours and you can eat one less airline meal.

With that much time, you might want to consider heading to one of the Hyatt hotels within the DFW airport. Yes, you will have to reclear security, but it can be a decent alternative to airport concessionaires.

With that much time, you might want to consider heading to one of the Hyatt hotels within the DFW airport. Yes, you will have to reclear security, but it can be a decent alternative to airport concessionaires.

If you go to the Hyatt I would go to the one that is connected to the International Terminal as to get to the other one you have to either walk outside or take a shuttle over. If you don't want to leave the terminal to avoid having to go through security again, there are many nice places in the relatively new international terminal.

Keith

This will not work if you check bags. AA does not allow one to fly standby if their luggage has already been checked in for a flight. The first question a gate agent will ask if you want to go stand by is if you have checked luggage.

Not my experience in the least. I frequently fly JFK/DFW or ORD/MCI or PHX. IF there is an earlier departing flight mid point, I have always been allowed to board, space available, checked luggage or not. In fact, I really can't remember a gate agent asking about the luggage. Maybe I am just lucky or maybe it's the stamped letters on the boarding pass. YMMV

Not my experience in the least. I frequently fly JFK/DFW or ORD/MCI or PHX. IF there is an earlier departing flight mid point, I have always been allowed to board, space available, checked luggage or not. In fact, I really can't remember a gate agent asking about the luggage. Maybe I am just lucky or maybe it's the stamped letters on the boarding pass. YMMV

You are probably right but I was surprised they were doing this.

Our son and daughter and law were flying to Buenos Aires. They checked in their luggage for the first flight. Then the first flight was delayed. So, they went to the gate agent and they got on another flight but their luggage went on the first flight. Anyway, to make a long story short they are flying on one flight and their luggage get to Argentina on another flight the day after they arrive.

I was very surprised that the airline (American Airlines) would have put them on another flight when their luggage was going on the other flight. I had thought that the airlines wouldn't want luggage to go on a flight that the passenger's were not on due to security concerns. So, this really surprised me. But obviously it was not an issue for them.

Keith

You are probably right but I was surprised they were doing this.

Our son and daughter and law were flying to Buenos Aires. They checked in their luggage for the first flight. Then the first flight was delayed. So, they went to the gate agent and they got on another flight but their luggage went on the first flight. Anyway, to make a long story short they are flying on one flight and their luggage get to Argentina on another flight the day after they arrive.

I was very surprised that the airline (American Airlines) would have put them on another flight when their luggage was going on the other flight. I had thought that the airlines wouldn't want luggage to go on a flight that the passenger's were not on due to security concerns. So, this really surprised me. But obviously it was not an issue for them.

Keith

Luggage had been checked in AND checked by TSA. And it is my understanding that flying without your checked luggage due to standby/reroute is VERY carefully documented. FA check the manifest VERY carefully when a pax is flying standby/reroute and checked luggage is on another plane.

Not a lot of chances to put the cliche "bomb in the suitcase" and then not board the flight. And DFW has the new bomb screening suitcase machines, so I think AA feels pretty safe letting you board another flight, even if your suitcases are not with you.

It sure has helped me get places a couple of hours earlier. I VERY rarely take anything other than my laptop, toothbrush and change of clothes on the plane anymore. I check EVERYTHING. I just got sick of the TSA hassle.

And why don't I think of going someplace neat in the airports (like the Hyatt you guys are suggesting). I act like a robot-get off the plane, check my connection for flight time and just IMMEDIATELY go to the Admiral's Club. I must get out of my rut and go be a little more adventurous. Thanks for the suggestions!!!!

If you go to the Hyatt I would go to the one that is connected to the International Terminal as to get to the other one you have to either walk outside or take a shuttle over. If you don't want to leave the terminal to avoid having to go through security again, there are many nice places in the relatively new international terminal.

I agree. The Grand Hyatt DFW is nice, but even though it is connected to terminal D it is outside security. Instead, you might consider buying a one day pass to the Admiral's Club. It's $50 for one person, $75 for 2 people, and $100 for people.

And why don't I think of going someplace neat in the airports (like the Hyatt you guys are suggesting). I act like a robot-get off the plane, check my connection for flight time and just IMMEDIATELY go to the Admiral's Club. I must get out of my rut and go be a little more adventurous. Thanks for the suggestions!!!!

Glad to suggest. I find that works well when a) hotel is in the airport or very close b) plenty of connect time to reclear security et al c) some reason worth leaving the confines of the airport.

Nothing wrong with parking in the Admiral's Club. I'm like you and tend, in my case, to beeline to the WorldClub/Presidents Club/Crown Room (due to reciprocal membership). At those clubs, the "adult beverages" are complimentary, unlike the AC. So, there's a bit of a financial advantage for me to use the club rather than venture out.

For non-club members, thinking about off-site venues is a real winner when you have time to kill. Even just sitting in a nice hotel lobby has to beat a crowded gate area, and relaxing in a lounger by the pool - even better.

Greatam, the Grand Hyatt DFW at Terminal D has a very nice bar and restaurant. When we overnighted there in May, my mother and I had a very nice Mother's Day meal there.

DFW isn't all that bad to spend 4 hours, especially terminal D. I used to live in Ft. Worth, and two of my favorite restaurants (Reata and Blue Mesa) now have versions in Terminal D (and Railhead BBQ is tasty, too). Also, there is an Einstein's Bagels, which is a good option if you want to take a snack with you on the plane but not eat it immediately. After you are done eating, you can entertain yourself by playing with the new Dyson hand dryers http://aviation.beloblog.com/archives/2007/07/coming_to_an_airport_bathroom.html

or by trying to locate all the pieces of art in terminal D

http://www.dfwairport.com/cdp/art/index.html

Good luck!

Archived